Sigma MC-21 EF and SA To L Mount Adapters

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

So.. both versions of the MC21 are now in stock in stores in Japan

1377570485_ScreenShot2019-04-19at19_12_12.png.d1415d7339ae0a9a60505a3ebe881d05.png

Still can't find anything definitive over release dates elsewhere though.

One curious thing from a user that received theirs today is the inclusion of a couple of surprising accessories....

1762975452_ScreenShot2019-04-19at19_11_35.png.fce3346b082f6c154f585f3e5f099413.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

This an absolute cock-up. Lucy has once again pulled the football away from Charlie Brown. Leica is making the SL into a dead-end system, given the glacier-like speed of release and extreme expense of their lenses. I love my SL for use with the 24/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH and 35/1.2 Nokton VM II, both in manual focus. 

But I can't justify the acquisition of single primes costing more than a Canon R plus faster RF lens. This looks like someone got to Sigma to preserve Leica's market for its own L-lenses. 

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but will aps-c lenses like the sigma 18-35 1.8 work with this adaptor on the S1? I've seen people using it for video. I'd imagine it would vignette or is there some voodoo magic?

Have both and yep! They work great together. The S1 has an ASP-C crop mode and when the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 or 50-100mm f1.8 are attached, the S1 automatically detects them and punches into the 1.5x crop. 

The nice thing about this setup is that the field of view is the same on 24fps and 60fps (since the 4K 60fps has the same crop). Plus the Sigma 18-35mm is still just one of the best lenses ever. And with the S1's stabilization, it's a very versatile lens. 

5 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Have both and yep! They work great together. The S1 has an ASP-C crop mode and when the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 or 50-100mm f1.8 are attached, the S1 automatically detects them and punches into the 1.5x crop. 

The nice thing about this setup is that the field of view is the same on 24fps and 60fps (since the 4K 60fps has the same crop). Plus the Sigma 18-35mm is still just one of the best lenses ever. And with the S1's stabilization, it's a very versatile lens. 

Cool. What's the image quality like? The same (albeit aps-c)? What about AF? I'm mainly interested in AF to find correct focus and then adjust manually.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Thpriest said:

Cool. What's the image quality like? The same (albeit aps-c)? What about AF? I'm mainly interested in AF to find correct focus and then adjust manually.

Thanks!

Ah, just in time, a French shop just posted a video about MC-21 + S1 + 18-35 !! All shots are handheld and in lowlight.

At 34s (guys in red) they use face detection (focus change from one face to another at around 39/40s). They say they are really impressed with this combo.

I wonder if they are only using the 18-35 in crop mode. Mine behaves very strangely if you try and use it in full frame mode, which is annoying, they need to update the firmware, either on the camera or the lens. It's still usable from about 28 to 35mm with minimal to no vignetting, but the camera introduces big black bars/software glitching, visible in both video and even raw stills, although it functions just fine in aps-c crop.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Ah, just in time, a French shop just posted a video about MC-21 + S1 + 18-35 !! All shots are handheld and in lowlight.

At 34s (guys in red) they use face detection (focus change from one face to another at around 39/40s). They say they are really impressed with this combo.

MC-21 doesn't support AF-C or video, so how?!

On 7/19/2019 at 3:13 AM, Geoff_L said:

18 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

MC-21 doesn't support AF-C or video, so how?!

While there is no video AF-C with my S1/MC-21/18-35mm combo I thought it odd that Face Detection was still selectable in the video AF-S mode. "Odd" in that using Face Detection in AF-S would (obviously) not engage the AF motors continuously and so I wasn't seeing a purpose for its AF-S inclusion.

Well, that opinion changed when I stumbled on this (linked below) Park Cameras' review and realized that one could quite effectively use the Face Detection for a pull-to-subject focus functioning while in AF-S mode while using adapted glass. This can be clearly seen working at the 2:54 Mark when the narrator moves his hand to make a half-press on the shutter button to engage focus on the out-of-focus model's face which the camera had been tracking the whole time (video cued to the segment beginning at 2:19)...

Sigma MC-21 Adapter | EF Lenses on your Lumix S1 / S1R - YouTube: (t=139s)

Combining this ability with Touch Screen AF while using Face(/Body) Detection (where the camera will put AF boxes around multiple subjects and where one can reprioritize which subject AF box it wants the camera to "focus on" with a tap) and one can easily pull and push focus to different subjects simply by tapping on the Touch Screen as seen here in Gordon Laing's S1 Review starting at the 17:25 Mark...

Panasonic Lumix S1 review - BEST pro mirrorless? - YouTube: (t=1045s)

Apparently a nice work-around for having no AF-C with adapted glass (which I'll keep in mind for when those opportunities/situations arise!). And perhaps our French friends at Images Photo Nîmes Nîmes employed video AF-S techniques along these lines?

15 hours ago, Jimmy G said:

While there is no video AF-C with my S1/MC-21/18-35mm combo I thought it odd that Face Detection was still selectable in the video AF-S mode. "Odd" in that using Face Detection in AF-S would (obviously) not engage the AF motors continuously and so I wasn't seeing a purpose for its AF-S inclusion.

Well, that opinion changed when I stumbled on this (linked below) Park Cameras' review and realized that one could quite effectively use the Face Detection for a pull-to-subject focus functioning while in AF-S mode while using adapted glass. This can be clearly seen working at the 2:54 Mark when the narrator moves his hand to make a half-press on the shutter button to engage focus on the out-of-focus model's face which the camera had been tracking the whole time (video cued to the segment beginning at 2:19)...

Sigma MC-21 Adapter | EF Lenses on your Lumix S1 / S1R - YouTube: (t=139s)

Combining this ability with Touch Screen AF while using Face(/Body) Detection (where the camera will put AF boxes around multiple subjects and where one can reprioritize which subject AF box it wants the camera to "focus on" with a tap) and one can easily pull and push focus to different subjects simply by tapping on the Touch Screen as seen here in Gordon Laing's S1 Review starting at the 17:25 Mark...

Panasonic Lumix S1 review - BEST pro mirrorless? - YouTube: (t=1045s)

Apparently a nice work-around for having no AF-C with adapted glass (which I'll keep in mind for when those opportunities/situations arise!). And perhaps our French friends at Images Photo Nîmes Nîmes employed video AF-S techniques along these lines?

Not sure if this really can work, if the subject is moving in an horizontal line no problem, but in a vertical one you will have to continue pressing the focus over him at a certain pace, probably you can master it after some time and get great results, so I hope somebody here with an S1 use it in the real world with subjects on the street and show us the results, I do need an adapter which allow me to use my EF glass in L mount....

• 2 years later...