GH2 for Event Video?

kinora

Hi all,

I shoot a lot of wedding/event video, and I've been really disappointed with the low-light performance of the 60D for this. I'm loving what I've seen from the GH2 with the 44mbit hack, and I'm wondering if any of you could help me make the decision to switch or not?

My main concern is obviously reliability, as I don't get a second chance to capture the kiss or the getaway on a wedding day. Have any of you experienced problems with reliability on longer shooting days?

Thanks very much,

Paul

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hi Kinora,
I think you need to invest on
[url=http://www.eoshd.com/gh2-guide-book]http://www.eoshd.com/gh2-guide-book[/url]
to make your own decision.

For me the GH2 is a far better cam than 60d. The GH2 has a better balance between video and foto and 60d is more like a foto cam. That's my personal point of view. The gh2 with the hack is a really superb cam and you got better sound.
For low light perfomance you will need a fast lens. The gh2 comes with 14-42 or 14-140. There are good lens for run and gun 
but are slow. For low light you will maybe need the panasonic pancake 20mm 1.6. So you got at least a zoom lens ( I recommend 14-140 ) and the 20 mm 1.6 fast lens. Both are automatic focus and can be use in automatic mode.
Saludos.
Francisco.

Thanks for your reply!

[quote]The GH2 has a better balance between video and foto and 60d is more like a foto cam. That's my personal point of view. [/quote]

That's been our experience. On paper the 60D looks like a 7D with better audio control and a flip-out screen, but in practice we've been very disappointed with the noise at higher ISOs and the moire issues.

I shoot video pretty much exclusively, so if we make the switch I'll probably be investing in lenses more suited to the task. I'm thinking the Angenieux 8-64/1.9 and the Voigtlander 25/.95 would get me through the day.

Any other lenses I should be thinking about? Anything else I should know, as we consider this switch?

Thanks very much!

The Angenieux 8-64/1.9 might be a good lens, but might also have issues like vignetting really bad and being noticeably soft.  I've shot with a lot of Angenieux before and they were all distinctly soft, but it had a great look to it that made you not mind so much.  But I haven't used that specific lens.  To cover your butt a little I would definitely suggest something native like the 20 1.7, the continuous autofocus on the GH2 works great and if you are all alone it can save you.
  The SLR Magic 12mm 1.6 is really good looking image wise, great manual focus, fast, and lets you focus really close for interesting shots.
    GH2 isn't great at High ISO, so fast lenses have to make up for it.  Although, I am going to suggest the Panasonic 7-14 for it is a constant f/4, good image quality, and can continuous focus. 
    If you need a versatile zoom, wait for Panasonic newer f/2.8's coming out late this year (hopefully) or pick up a Olympus 4/3 lens on ebay- very beautiful lenses. 
  I steer clear of vintage zooms, they really don't have good Image quality compared to today's standards and most are slow. 

Thanks for the replies, plochmann. I'll definitely keep all that in mind, as I do my research. The 12mm was new to me, but based on the reviews I've seen it looks amazing! Definitely worth the price of admission.

I would be a little cautious on using it for events without really investing in lenses.  I love the GH2 - but I am a documentary shooter, and I'm on an extended gig right now.  I'm finding that I absolutely need the Zuico 14-35 f2.0 - and that's a 2K+ investment.  I just don't have the time to be switching prime lenses constantly - I miss key moments -  and I am almost always shooting wide open, or 1 stop higher if sharpness is an issue.  An 5.6 zoom lens on the GH2 is just way too slow to be useable for me at least.

I have the Olympus 12mm/f2.0 and the Voightlander 25mm F/0.9 and I love them for work where there is time for setup, but for event style shooting, I'm finding the constant switching is prohibitive.

For event work, I'm actually going to switch over to a 5D Mark iii as soon as I can, provided the specs hold up, for the whole reason of needing fast zooms and low light performance.  I won't give up my GH2, I like it too much, and it will always be a smaller more versatile camera in its own way.

That's all just my opinion of course.

-A-