How Long Will I Be Waiting?

Snowbro

13 hours ago, kye said:

It will be a while, so buy a temporary camera to use in the meantime.  Make sure its well specc'd and robust so it lasts long enough to fill that gap.

That's why I'm Panasonic S1. If something revolutionary, I'll buy it. If not, I have a very capable machine for $2500 that accept EF lenses

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Sold the 1DX II; I will buy another Canon when they have..

• IBIS
  • FF 4k
  • 10-bit internal
  • 120p 1080p
  • 4K 60p

In a mirrorless body under $4,000

The Panasonic S1 does have all of that now.

It's sort of weird how much people have been ripping on the S1 - No, it's not a full-frame GH5, but with the upcoming V-Log/10-bit update, it's pretty darn close. Every other manufacturer gives us internal 8-bit 420 (Sony, Nikon, Canon), big crops (Canon), no 60 fps (everyone), etc.

Add on that Panasonic has the best ergonomics for video by far (in my opinion) and a great XLR adapter, and you have a very capable camera. 

32 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

It's sort of weird how much people have been ripping on the S1 - No, it's not a full-frame GH5, but with the upcoming V-Log/10-bit update, it's pretty darn close. Every other manufacturer gives us internal 8-bit 420 (Sony, Nikon, Canon), big crops (Canon), no 60 fps (everyone), etc.

Add on that Panasonic has the best ergonomics for video by far (in my opinion) and a great XLR adapter, and you have a very capable camera. 

Yeah it pretty much is a full frame GH5 with the update. Would be nice if HLG wasn't capped at 72mbps as there isn't a big need for the Vlog update if it wasn't. 

Yes funny how the S1`is the only camera that ticks all of the boxes from the OP and yet folk then feel the need to move the goalposts and ignore it. I think the S1 is by far the most compelling of all the recent mirrorless 'full frame' cameras, and the image is looking lovely to my eyes. Here's another little short, love the colours

3 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Yes funny how the S1`is the only camera that ticks all of the boxes from the OP and yet folk then feel the need to move the goalposts and ignore it. I think the S1 is by far the most compelling of all the recent mirrorless 'full frame' cameras, and the image is looking lovely to my eyes. Here's another little short, love the colours

No doubt the S1 is pretty awesome. 

However the OP stated Canon specifically. Its a given that a high end Canon camera will have A+ auto focus. Panasonic kind of dropped the ball not adding phase detection. There excuse about it degrading image quality seemed pretty far fetched. I've never heard anyone not buying a Canon camera due to the DPAF causing IQ problems. 

4 hours ago, currensheldon said:

And don't forget that Panasonic have a history of adding modes and unlocking things with firmware updates...

On 3/29/2019 at 3:58 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

No doubt the S1 is pretty awesome. 

However the OP stated Canon specifically. Its a given that a high end Canon camera will have A+ auto focus. Panasonic kind of dropped the ball not adding phase detection. There excuse about it degrading image quality seemed pretty far fetched. I've never heard anyone not buying a Canon camera due to the DPAF causing IQ problems. 

For stills, DPAF, Sony, Nikon all use phase detection that cause banding issues under certain lighting environment or raise the shadow.

This may or may not matter for video, but it's a concern for me since I primarily shoot stills. I've seen in various group and forum that show those artifacts make it unusable. This happens in EOS R, Sony A7/R, Nikon Z series camera. Sony A9 is the only one that doesn't exhibit this with the fast read out. It's rare occurrence but it does happens.

The easy way is to follow the pack and adopt PDAF at the expense of image quality. They won't ridicule on the net anymore.

I actually think it's bold of them to adopt a non compromise approach to image quality and go against standard practice. They are constantly attack for their choice in sticking with DFD. Despite all these ridicule, I found the latest version 1 FW AF to be usable. There is no pulsating and it's fast. It focus really fast in low light and track well enough for non sport activity. If you are using it for photo, it's a non issue while have no banding issues.

Sure the AF may not be the best, but it's more than usable since it's combination of features is the closest to being a perfect camera for me. It's also one camera I've been the most excited for. I've been a Canon users only for 10 years that was interested in Sony A7III, A7RIII, A9 etc. All those camera has compromises in some way that goes beyond features.

Panasonic S1:

• Class leading EVF 5.76 million dot 120 hz
  • Dual IS (class leading IBIS FF 6 stops)
  • Dual card slot (first dual XQD/CFE & SD card slot combo)
  • 4K 60 30 cropped (1st FF to offer it) | unlimited 4K 30p
  • EyeAF and animal tracking
  • Ergonomic and weather sealing with button logically lay out
  • Fully touch screen LCD
  • Back lit buttons
  • Focus bracketing 
  • High resolution mode 96 mpx and 187 mpx for 47 mpx sensor. 
  • Timelapse
  • Fully touch screen LCD 
  • Dynamic range beat Fuji medium format, Z6, A7III, A7RIII at low ISO with clean ISO 12,800.

For a $2500 S1 camera with free battery and grip, Panasonic offer a lot of class leading features. I can forgive it for not having the best AF. I'm sure they are working on FW to get it even better. 

This is their first FF mirrror less camera and it shows they really tried. I have no problem supporting a camera company that gave me such a bang for my money. There is no perfect camera, but what you are willing to compromise on. This come the closest perfect camera for me.

3 minutes ago, PrometheusDM said:

For stills, DPAF, Sony, Nikon all use phase detection that cause banding issues under certain lighting environment or raise the shadow.

This may or may not matter for video, but it's a concern for me since I primarily shoot stills. I've seen in various group and forum that show those artifacts make it unusable. This happens in EOS R, Sony A7/R, Nikon Z series camera. Sony A9 is the only one that doesn't exhibit this with the fast read out. It's rare occurrence but it does happens.

The easy way is to follow the pack and adopt PDAF at the expense of image quality. They won't ridicule on the net anymore.

I actually think it's bold of them to adopt a non compromise approach to image quality and go against standard practice. They are constantly attack for their choice in sticking with DFD. Despite all these ridicule, I found the latest version 1 FW AF to be usable. There is no pulsating and it's fast. It focus really fast in low light and track well enough for non sport activity. If you are using it for photo, it's a non issue while have no banding issues.

Sure the AF may not be the best, but it's more than usable since it's combination of features is the closest to being a perfect camera for me. It's also one camera I've been the most excited for. I've been a Canon users only for 10 years that was interested in Sony A7III, A7RIII, A9 etc. All those camera has compromises in some way that goes beyond features.

I agree its a great camera especially for their first full frame. I can understand it from a photography perspective but for their video centered GH cameras they really need to get on the phase detect band wagon. 

7 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I agree its a great camera especially for their first full frame. I can understand it from a photography perspective but for their video centered GH cameras they really need to get on the phase detect band wagon. 

I've seen some amazing video done with Panasonic S1. I don't think the AF is an issue unless you track sport movement. It's more than enough for most people need. 

This camera has more features than my skills.

15 minutes ago, PrometheusDM said:

I've seen some amazing video done with Panasonic S1. I don't think the AF is an issue unless you track sport movement. It's more than enough for most people need. 

This camera has more features than my skills.

I've seen some nice looking videos too, but consistency in real life usage is probably not there. We'll see when more reviews come in. 

On 3/29/2019 at 6:53 PM, ade towell said:

Man. That was beautiful in more than one way. I think the colors are fabulous. 

1 hour ago, PrometheusDM said:

Panasonic S1:

• Class leading EVF 5.76 million dot 120 hz
  • Dual IS (class leading IBIS FF 6 stops)
  • Dual card slot (first dual XQD/CFE & SD card slot combo)
  • 4K 60 30 cropped (1st FF to offer it) | unlimited 4K 30p
  • EyeAF and animal tracking
  • Ergonomic and weather sealing with button logically lay out
  • Fully touch screen LCD
  • Back lit buttons
  • Focus bracketing 
  • High resolution mode 96 mpx and 187 mpx for 47 mpx sensor. 
  • Timelapse
  • Fully touch screen LCD 
  • Dynamic range beat Fuji medium format, Z6, A7III, A7RIII at low ISO with clean ISO 12,800.

For a $2500 S1 camera with free battery and grip, Panasonic offer a lot of class leading features. I can forgive it for not having the best AF. I'm sure they are working on FW to get it even better. 

This is their first FF mirrror less camera and it shows they really tried. I have no problem supporting a camera company that gave me such a bang for my money. There is no perfect camera, but what you are willing to compromise on. This come the closest perfect camera for me.

Good grief where have I been hiding. My goodness I may have my sights set on this cam. 

I've used the GH5 with its latest firmware update that was specifically focused on AF, and with the 12mm f1.4, 12-60mm, and 42.5mm f1.2, I thought the autofocus did great - didn't notice a huge difference from the EOS R. Granted, most of my AF stuff is pretty simple (pushing into a subject on glidetrack, interviews, and walk and talk gimbal shots), but still the type of shots that I would think most people use AF for. 90% of my AF usage is on a gimbal. 

Latest firmware on G9 and Gh5s and newer Panasonic lenses has useable AF for most gimbal shots, vlogging, and run and gun stuff. You also have a built in controlled focus puller on GH line for the precision or planned out shots.

Its biggest weakness is Christmas lights and shallow depth of field in my experience. Most other bigger or diffused light emitters don’t show the pulsing of the contrast AF as much.

Panasonic is going to have to up their game with the S1 series if they are committing to DfD in future cameras. I always thought that with advanced dedicated AF chip (like in the S1) and some advanced motion tracking predictions that could make DfD compelling.

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I used to own the GH5, definitely couldn't perform close to my XT3. A lot of it depends how good the lighting is and of course how shallow you are shooting at. 

If Fuji continues to up their video game and listen to their customers the Fuji X-H2 could pull me away from future Panasonic MFT cameras...

I love my versatile MFT mount though.

8 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

If Fuji continues to up their video game and listen to their customers the Fuji X-H2 could pull me away from future Panasonic MFT cameras...

Yeah, will be interesting if the XH1 is pretty much an XT3 with IBIS, or if they will do even more. The GH5 is definitely a great camera, though I am content with the XT3. Still excited to see what the GH6 will be. 

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Yeah, when I was looking at cameras the Fuji lens system wasn't as appealing as the MFT system, partly because I already had some MFT lenses, but also because I use MF and the decent selection of Panny/Oly lenses combined with the huge range of third party lenses spanning all areas across the cine / super-fast / vintage / adapter / Frankenstein territory was a real draw-card.

On 4/2/2019 at 10:44 PM, Snowbro said:

XT3 is awesome, but a little noisy and not a fan of the fuji lenses (too expensive for apsc and many dont af good or are too loud). 

The F2 primes seem to work well as well as the 18-55. Big draw for me is getting a full frame image with a speedbooster. The fringer adapter seems to work really well with select lenses like the 18-35 sigma. I buy all my lenses used though so I guess I don't take as much of a hit with the pricing. I think I got the 18-55 for like $150, they go pretty stupid cheap on ebay. 

The big competition was the Pocket 4k for me, but having no auto focus at all doesn't work for me right now and tbh I like the Fuji image better. Having BRAW would be incredible though. Although the Z cam E2 has been catching my eye. I've been trying to rig my cameras up, the Fuji and OG BM Pocket. Would be so nice to be able to just use sony F970 batteries without any rigging.