Are There Any Canon C700 Full Frame Reviews?

Zach Goodwin2

20 hours ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

I am guessing by you all's sarcasm that what you are saying is that low light is not that important, so the key factor in getting a new camera must not be low-light.

The new key factor is how it looks inside the Closet. Lowlight perfromance in Dressing Room mirror shots are also very important.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

zach, could you post some of these low light shots that youd like to emulate?

heres an idea...

look at your favorite cinematography of dark scenes: its probably not as dark as you think, since these low light cameras didnt even exist when it was shot — its a key and no fill. *backlighting* is a powerful agent as well. look again at those scenes

what are you shooting, a doc in a cave?

9 minutes ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

I'm trying to find a way to make motion picture films with a camera that would lessen the costs of lighting equipment while at the same time be feasable enough for a crew, logically speaking. I like natural lighting.

great, i shot my first short with natural light on my 5d3 with ml, there you go. costs 30x less than a c700 too

45 minutes ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

I'm trying to find a way to make motion picture films with a camera that would lessen the costs of lighting equipment while at the same time be feasable enough for a crew, logically speaking. I like natural lighting.

Zach, are we to assume you are referring to a film in the distant future? Didn’t you say you don’t have a car right now? I would argue that it may be smarter to get a car first and then a $33,000 cinema camera.

In the meantime, if you’re looking for a FF camera, did you hear that The Possession of Hannah Grace was shot on an a7sii? 

If you don’t need 4K or IBIS, the original a7s can be had for about $700... so that’s an option as well.

I bought one used.  it's about 1.5 stops better in the shadows than the c300 ii and same in the highlights (3.5 stops over key) - https://cinematography.net/CineRant/2018/07/30/personal-comments-on-the-2018-cml-camera-evaluations/

which makes it almost as good as any camera - well better than the alexa in shadows but, still alexa is the king in highlights.

it shoots pro res.  it does everything you wish the c300 ii would do.  well not raw light - i don't know why it doesn't do that - maybe I should ask them.

here's some stills with a zeiss 28mm standard speed - doesn't quite have full frame coverage.

i'll post a video soon to show more tests with it.

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.52.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.52.26 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.52.13 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.52.12 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.52.07 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.52.05 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.52.00 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.51.57 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.51.54 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.51.51 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.51.46 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.51.44 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.51.39 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.51.32 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.51.29 PM.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found this and I figured out that the highest low light performance of the C700 ff is 16,000 ISO compared to the C300 Mk II's 10,000 ISO. So overall the C700 ff is a good choice for low light filming.

And this is what 16,000 ISO looks like, so if I use the C700 FF cinematically I get to save a lot of money on lighting:

• Super Members

In all fairness if he'd have been able to get hold of a C700 in 1979 then I'm pretty sure he would have spent most of his time zipping about in the time machine he'd used to aquire it rather than pissing about making films.

Maybe you should get a C700 do a reboot of it with a more modern man sensibility to the dialogue.

"I love the smell of lip balm in the morning" and "Charlie don't surf with Firefox no more since the plug in debacle" would work.

It's just a camera and an idea that could be helpful for it. I like talking about technology, cameras, and the idea of filmmaking. I wrote this because I assumed someone could benefit from a question I asked about a camera. And in terms of buying or selling or renting cameras that is your decision.

3120506-DKZYXCMB-7.jpg

Zach, why did you post this? your mind is a fascinating place

4 hours ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

3120506-DKZYXCMB-7.jpg

gotta tell ya tho... i think youre right

tbh i dont think that you should even try to shoot something without a C700... just hold off until then

good plan!

• 2 weeks later...