Are There Any Canon C700 Full Frame Reviews?

Zach Goodwin2

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think the FF is essentially the same sensor, only larger. So if you scale the image down to 4k, it might be about a stop cleaner than the C300 Mk II. If you crop it or look at it per-pixel, it should be the same. I guess it's better, but it depends how you look at it.

I think the A7S is still cleaner than either camera at extreme ISOs, even if the image isn't as robust overall.

This might be the very best option if you don't need 4k:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1187825-REG/canon_1002c002_me20f_sh_multi_purpose_camera.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhM_Vmpqm4QIVzlcNCh3QjARIEAkYASABEgJmN_D_BwE&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=Y

Also consider that a fast lens makes a big difference. There are more f1.0 and faster lenses available for E mount than for EF mount. (Where there's just the 50mm f1.)

With cinema cameras, there's less noise reduction and compression in the imaging pipeline than with most mirrorless cameras, so the image will be noisier but easier to clean up in post. I would recommend doing noise reduction in post. Neat Video and Dark Energy are probably the best options there but it takes some experience to learn to use Neat Video properly.

I think the ME20F with a 50mm f1.0 EF lens would be the absolute best equipment available for extreme low light, but the A7S with one of the Chinese f0.95 lenses wouldn't be far behind. I don't think it's worth the difference in price. I suspect they're pretty close. But that's only at very extreme ISOs. At around 50,000-80,000 ISO and below, I think the C700 FF would have a better image than either (after some noise reduction).

I guess we need to know what you have in mind to give a better answer. What focal length do you want to use? How fast is the subject moving? Are you okay shooting at 1/24 shutter? Are you okay with using noise reduction in post or is it something where noise reduction might not work well? I suspect the best bet is an A7S and a very fast lens.

So I'm guessing it would be good at ISO 25,600?

5 hours ago, Nikkor said:

Still looking for magic bullets?

The Sony A7s is affordable.

btw, what happened to that Canon Zoom lens, that was going to be the best lens in the world and you were the chosen One to have it,etc...

Do you see a pattern here?

I threw that lens away.

That depends on your definition of good. It would still be very very noisy in the shadows at 25,600 ISO. So if you underexpose, the image might be terrible. But if you expose carefully (or use noise reduction) it should be fine. The difficulty is most incident meters don't function in such low light scenarios, so you have to trust the camera's internal meter and your own experience with the camera.

Imagine something similar to that except twice the sensor real estate. With noise reduction it looks good (to me), without it the image is too noisy (imo). What's deceptive is you can see the meter reads the scene as being a stop over, so in effect once this is printed down (graded) it's closer to 16,000 ISO.

If you underexpose you'll be in a really bad place, though. That sensor gets magenta noise and banding pretty easily. Much better low light than most cinema cameras, but still not A7S level.

The Gemini might also be worth considering. 

Again, it really depends on what you're shooting and how you're exposing the image. I'd feel confident at 25,600 ISO with that camera, but only if I knew I wasn't underexposing too much and if I knew I was going to use noise reduction in post. 

Why not the A7S? It's amazing in low light and much less expensive. Very respectable image, too, if you are careful and respect its limitations.

12 hours ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

Canon's own website calls it a s35mm camera?? Do they have 2 versions of it??

"Overview

The next generation EOS C700 Digital Cinema Camera is the camera that so many cinematographers having been asking for from Canon and incorporates what Canon has learned through professional feedback over the last five years since the original Cinema EOS C300 was announced.

Canon's new EOS C700 Super35 format camera is designed to be a flexible "A" camera for various types of shooting scenarios. The EOS C700 features both internal 4K ProRes and XF-AVC recording."

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/cinema-eos/eos-c700

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Canon's own website calls it a s35mm camera?? Do they have 2 versions of it??

"Overview

The next generation EOS C700 Digital Cinema Camera is the camera that so many cinematographers having been asking for from Canon and incorporates what Canon has learned through professional feedback over the last five years since the original Cinema EOS C300 was announced.

Canon's new EOS C700 Super35 format camera is designed to be a flexible "A" camera for various types of shooting scenarios. The EOS C700 features both internal 4K ProRes and XF-AVC recording."

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/cinema-eos/eos-c700

They did. There wasn't a big announcement over it, but they released a FF version:

Kind of cool. The big external recorder I imagine limits the usefulness... the C700 is already big.

I think the new Arri Mini FF (though worse in low light, I expect) and Venice will be more attractive options. But I'd love to see a FF C300 MK III... can't imagine it would be affordable.

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

The key factor in getting a new camera is cats. This is well known.

I'm not sure if you're kidding, but I see nothing wrong with using a C700 for cat videos.

I wonder if Roger Deakins and Janusz secretly shoot cat videos. I'd love to see them. Probably would be their most honest work.

I bet most Red owners/cat owners are shooting cat videos. They'd be crazy not to.

18 hours ago, Mokara said:

The C700 is ideal for cat videos....I am surprised that no one has posted theirs yet.

I've got 7 cine-cat videos at picture-lock but i'm still perfecting the grade.  I've got about 53 nodes in Resolve across the final timeline, but I just can't get it to be cinematic enough.

6 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

I'm not sure if you're kidding, but I see nothing wrong with using a C700 for cat videos.

I wonder if Roger Deakins and Janusz secretly shoot cat videos. I'd love to see them. Probably would be their most honest work.

I bet most Red owners/cat owners are shooting cat videos. They'd be crazy not to.

I thought that any camera that shoots 4K120 came with a basket of kittens?

Or maybe it was just a multi-year promotion that I saw that has now lapsed?

It's hard to keep up.

11 hours ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

I am guessing by you all's sarcasm that what you are saying is that low light is not that important, so the key factor in getting a new camera must not be low-light.

I think the general idea is that if your production is using a cine camera (which requires a number of crew to successfully operate and is big and heavy) then your production will have enough people and sufficiently limited portability that you can use artificial lighting and not require low-light performance.  Even in scenes that are shot in 'low light' such as external street shots or whatever would get enough light because you'd build a set for it.

My impression is that large productions typically spend a very low percentage of their budget on the camera, and it's only smaller productions that have this as being a significant cost.  In this sense, a cinema camera is actually a camera for a completely different type of film, rather than it being the same but just nicer quality.

[edit: or they would just shoot day-for-night where they shoot during the day and change the shots in post to look like they're shot at night]