EOS R 1080p HDMI framerates

Patrick B.

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So I just got an EOS R and can confirm that, as ridiculous as it sounds, when you hook up HDMI to a Ninja V, and have the EOS R set to 1080p, the frame rate stays locked at 59.94 FPS no matter what you set it to internally. The one exception is if you enable 24 FPS which does change the HDMI output. Note that this is true 24 FPS and not 23.98. 4K doesn’t have this limitation and I can’t understand why FHD does.  ?‍♂️

Well, really I think 24 will be fine so I’m good with the limitation. I never use 30/29.98 but was just really surprised you couldn’t use the 23.98. It just seemed rather arbitrary, but as I’ve used Sony’s and Panasonic’s I know every camera has sometimes baffling quirks that you just have to accept as part of their personality  

Yeah, agree it’s a shame on the FHD 8-bit.  My intention was to record direct to a LUT on the Ninja V for extra quick turn around on YouTube or short social media stuff where I didn’t want to drop it into an NLE.

One thing the EOS R DOES do that the A7 III and Z6 don’t, is you can record to HDMI while still having full face tracking AF and remote controlling the camera via Wi-Fi.

The A7 III comes close, but disables face tracking, and the Z6 just flat out won’t allow remote control with HDMI output. I have a hunch the S1 might allow this combination too, but need to verify. 

10 hours ago, Django said:

So you have 24p & 60p.. what other frame rates where you looking for, 30p?

The real issue imo is that FHD external is 8-bit only so I don’t really see a point in recording FHD externally unless you really need ProRes. 

To minimize compression artifacts in the tailing edge of motion? At least until you have had a chance to do any post-processing/editing you might want to do.

53 minutes ago, Mokara said:

To minimize compression artifacts in the tailing edge of motion? At least until you have had a chance to do any post-processing/editing you might want to do.

EOS R already offers internal ALL-I codecs ranging from 90-180Mbps for FHD & 480Mbps in 4K which basically equates to a middle ProRes codec as far as motion.. 10-bit 422 however is worth going external imo.

10 hours ago, Django said:

EOS R already offers internal ALL-I codecs ranging from 90-180Mbps for FHD & 480Mbps in 4K which basically equates to a middle ProRes codec as far as motion.. 10-bit 422 however is worth going external imo.

Ok, so to minimize compression artifacts resulting from the use of ALL-I then. Anything with a lot of detail has to give up something to fit in the bandwidth, and detail is the sacrifice you make with ALL-I. Which you do not want if you are doing editing later.

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

Ok, so to minimize compression artifacts resulting from the use of ALL-I then. Anything with a lot of detail has to give up something to fit in the bandwidth, and detail is the sacrifice you make with ALL-I. Which you do not want if you are doing editing later.

ALL-I is an Intra Frame codec just like ProRes. It’s the top choice for minimizing compression artifacts & editing ( unlike XAVC-S for example which is Long GOP) so I’m not sure what your point is..

• 9 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 4:19 PM, Jimithy said:

New to external monitors / recorders... Can you still monitor your 23.98 FPS signal using the Atomos / other on camera monitors to take advantage of Zebras, Waveforms, etc? 

Unless the recent firmware has changed things it would only output a 23.98 signal in 4K.  In HD you’d have to go with 24 FPS.