Cheapest parfocal lenses

zerocool22

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/29/2019 at 9:34 AM, Kisaha said:

Canon CN-E 18-80 and 70-200 are the cheapest.

As far as I can tell, the Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS (Mark 1) is parfocal as well, and much cheaper. It might not be parfocal at the same level as Cine-lenses, but I can't see any focus shift while zooming.

The other two lenses in the holy trinity are definitely not parfocal.

cheapest parfocal? if you dont mind extending zoom tubes.... i would recommend the minolta 35-70 3.5, comes even with a macro mode in the latest iteration... got a mint one for 70 euros. awesome plucky lens. if you got a bit more spare cash, go for a contax zeiss 35-70 3.5 :  around 130 euros.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 6:24 PM, JordanWright said:

I've used a 2 Sigma 18-35s and neither was parfocal, far from it actually. My Tok 28-70 2.6 also isn't parfocal however it is significantly closer than the sigma zooms.  

After adjusting the back focus on my lens adapter my Sigma 18-35 is parfocal. The Sigma 50-100 almost.

On 3/31/2019 at 1:22 PM, HockeyFan12 said:

35-140mm f3.5 Soligor Macro

I bought one for $14 off KEH and think I overpaid by about $14. My copy is hazy. Maybe it's not always this bad.

Apparently it's parfocal!

I read somewhere that some types of haze can be cleared by putting the lens in a vacuum chamber for a minute or so.  It makes sense if the haze is some condensation of materials (perhaps oils from ageing lubricants or other components) then putting it under vacuum will cause it to evaporate again, and will be pulled out by the vacuum pump.

Of course, many other things can cause haze too, so it's not a guarantee, but considering you only invested $14, you don't have a lot to lose.

16 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

For $14 I'd try taking it apart and see if I could clean it! 

In my reading about cleaning vintage lenses most people recommended not trying to clean zoom lenses because they're too complicated to put back together again.  The vacuum method will either work or not, but if it works then there's no assembly issues :)