I voted for Raw recording on the R

Mattias Burling

On 4/1/2019 at 12:21 PM, Andrew Reid said:

It is true the 50mm F1.2L has grown in size at every generation.

FD was smallest

EF grew fat

R is just ridiculous.

And funnily enough the FD is my favourite for image quality and sharper than the EF version!

Interesting... I still believe the RF Mount was a colossal mistake on Canon’s part. And the cost of these lenses are just astronomical.

Glad to hear you like the FD version the best because I just received a mint copy in the mail that I paid $350 for. I’m going to load ML on my EOS-M to test it and if it’s better than the modded FD 50mm 1.4 I already own, I’m going to send it out to Simmod for a mount conversion and have the aperture declicked.

How does the FD 1.2 compare to a modern 50mm prime like the Sigma Art? Is the Art lens a lot sharper, or does the FD hold its own?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
53 minutes ago, Django said:

@Andrew Reid it does work in 4K if you have C3 set up with log activated. (nevermind i see you edited your post)

I already said it first a day ago and again now.

I also said it in the review.

Set C3 with 4K & Canon LOG, hit record.

But it won't maintain the mode you are in at that moment for stills... it will go to whatever mode you saved to the C3 preset.

Canon messed the usability up of the one simple thing that people liked about their DSLRs... A simple stills/movie mode lever and movie exposure following exactly what is selected for stills and on the mode dial.

17 minutes ago, mercer said:

How does the FD 1.2 compare to a modern 50mm prime like the Sigma Art? Is the Art lens a lot sharper, or does the FD hold its own?

The Sigma is sharper wide open but the FD 1.2 holds its own stopped down, especially colour and contrast... And of course wide open it has the wonder F1.2 look, remaining sharper than the less expensive FD lenses at F1.4.

4 hours ago, Vision said:

hows image quality on it paired with ninja v ?

I love the image. Prefer it to the other hybrids I've used/owned. So that's pretty much the entire crop of currently available bodies. For me the Ninja V is as much for convenience of monitoring as for capture. My EOS R is mostly on the motion controller. When mounted the screen cannot flip out.

Make no mistake of it, if I loved the others I would still own them. I will buy the "Pro" body when released. Until then I'm focused on lighting.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I already said it first a day ago and again now.

I also said it in the review.

Set C3 with 4K & Canon LOG, hit record.

But it won't maintain the mode you are in at that moment for stills... it will go to whatever mode you saved to the C3 preset.

Canon messed the usability up of the one simple thing that people liked about their DSLRs... A simple stills/movie mode lever and movie exposure following exactly what is selected for stills and on the mode dial.

So what you are saying is that if someone made a smart remote record controller that, amongst other features, knew what mode you were in in picture mode and automatically switched to that mode and THEN put it in record then someone who made such a device might find themselves with a market for it ?

If not the EOS R then what camera? Serious question and I'm open to any brand. I'm a stills wildlife photographer. The organization I work for is pushing me to do video also. The lenses I have are a Canon 600 f4 II, 300 f2.8 II and a 100-400 F5.6 II. I recently got a loaner EOS R from CPS and rented a Ninja V. I was happy with the image I got from the combo (miles better then the 80D I borrowed to learn on). The 4K crop is actually an advantage for me because the 300 f2.8 is much easier to handle then the 600 f4. I don't care about IBIS because I'll always be on a tripod. I'll never use it for stills because I have 1 and 5 series cameras for that. I'm not too impressed with the EOS R controls (compared to my other Canon bodies) but had no real problems with them. RS is a concern but didn't see any issues with the testing I performed. I want an EVF instead of an OVF for panning flying birds (tried that using the back LCD on the 80D and the 1DXII and it's no fun). So if any of you Canon haters can suggest another option I will definitely consider them. It HAS to be able to autofocus the above lenses as good as the EOS R. I can wait to see what the A7SIII is capable of (and the next possible pro EOS R) before purchasing if it's before fall of this year.

Ted

On 3/29/2019 at 6:01 AM, Mattias Burling said:

No idea. The patent for the EF mount expired "coincidently" around the same time as the BMCC was announced. So maybe we could count backwards to when it was first released and then take it from there as some sort of reference :)

Yeah I noticed that "coincidence"! 

You do wonder if BMD was waiting for the EF patent to expire. 

But if so, I wish they had not! And instead had just leaped straight to making the BMCC MFT! Imagine if we had got that a couple of years earlier? :-o

17 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

In what context is 4K irrelevant in 2019?

Even for a family vacation video, 4K is a must today, why bother with blurry 1080p? I want all my filmed memories to be in the highest quality available today. Stopped using Full HD some 3 years ago.

51 minutes ago, liork said:

Even for a family vacation video, 4K is a must today, why bother with blurry 1080p? I want all my filmed memories to be in the highest quality available today. Stopped using Full HD some 3 years ago.

When I bought a 4K OLED TV I started shooting all family videos in 4K, anyway.

Our phones are shooting 4K, my cameras shoot 4K and since last year customers ask for 4K also.

Great 1080p is still great, just an anachronism is 2019.

Heck, we are living in the future already; science fiction movies a few decades ago were showing 2020 with flying cars and people forming colonies in the outer Sol system, why hold back on our video resolution!

Because some people still argue this kind of staff these days:

On 4/1/2019 at 3:42 PM, Mattias Burling said:

Personally I shoot HD on all stills cameras (Sony, Fuji, etc) because of rolling shutter. The EOS-R has no RS in HD. So it is full frame for me.
 (4K on these consumer stills cameras doesn't make any sense for me for other reasons as well like file size, computer power and that no one can see the difference anyway. Not online and not on the big screen. So I dont bother, 4K better be on a real camera or not at all. But if one must have 4K I agree, framing would be difficult if one isn't quick enough.)

27 minutes ago, Jrteh said:

In summary, Car "A" do have ABS (Automatic braking system). Car "B" do have ABS+EBD+ESP

both car delivery same result (control braking system)?.

samsung note 9 delivery nice 4K video, why go for GH5

Holyshit u sound like my mate brah why buy gh5s when s9 does same! Did 

I will give u a comparison 

Gh5s = Bmw M5?

S9 = Public bus that anyone can use 

Ok thank you

1 hour ago, Rinad Amir said:

Holyshit u sound like my mate brah why buy gh5s when s9 does same! Did 

I will give u a comparison 

Gh5s = Bmw M5?

S9 = Public bus that anyone can use 

Ok thank you

So ....?

A7III 4K = ferrari

EOS R 4k = ?

14 minutes ago, Jrteh said:

So ....?

A7III 4K = ferrari

EOS R 4k = ?

EOS R 4k = Rolls-Royce

The most trusted machine out there, you can go to the Sahara and feel confidence is never going to fail.....and if that happen by a miracle.....yeap, the support is on his way to the rescue....

Rolls-Royce is to waive the cost of repairing the Royal limousine attacked by rioters during a student protest as it carried Charles and Camilla.

The Rolls-Royce Phantom VI, worth at least £250,000, was hit by paint bombs, kicked and had a window smashed as it was being driven to the Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343379/Rolls-Royce-repair-Prince-Charles-Camillas-250k-riot-car-free.html

Will I say something too stupid if remind that 1080p will be enough till mostly all bluray distribution of best movies use  that format? So, although shooting also in 4k when must, I'm in general with Mattias :) 

I saw that even BlacKKlansman has 2k as master format:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7349662/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

So, I say to myself: if it is enough for Hollywood and Spike Lee, it will be also for me!

Look, 2k for exhibition is ok. I’m not arguing that, however if your point is that if a movie from 2018 is distributed in 2k reason enough for 4k to be “not relevant” then I would choose a film “made” in 2k, not on film that is basically resolution independent. Depending on the conditions of the negative or the exhibition print it can display from 480 to 8k comparable detail. And if well shot, properly processed, carefully conserved originals can be obtained, there is a chance for a future “re-master” in other resolutions and formats. By imdb limited info, there is no way to know if the telecine convertion was made in 2k, 4k or 6k, and or 10 bit log or 16 bit floating point, for that you will need to contact the editor, the lab or the dp. If you can have the Spike Lee’s workflow of 35mm and 16mm converted to digital then you are a very lucky guy.

Oh no, my point is not at all that 4k is "not relevant", but rather that 2k is not irrelevant or that is still enough relevant :) Actually, my base point was that pretty all bluray disks are still 1080p distributed, so it seems to me that that speaks something about usability of that resolution - but I could be wrong.

Regarding BlackK, I just read data that final digital conversion is 2k (not - just to supplement your nice little educational explanation of process of converting analogue to digital - digitally "scanned" in 4k or 6/8k).... which is pretty obvious from picture characteristics, which is noticeably on softer side, but... for Hollywood obviously still relevant, so it will be the same still for a while for little-mouse-of-myself :)