DSO lenses review and Anamorphic test

Rob Bannister

Hi All, I just finished a big review of the Flare Factory 58 lenses from Dog Schidt Optics. You can read the full review here http://www.robbannister.com/blog/

The mandatory cat test was shot with the Neutral FF58 and the iscorama and the other video with the Amber FF58 is not with the anamorphic because I had sent it off for the close focus mod. Though the Amber version pairs really well with the iscorama and you can see a small sample of that at the end with the car.

https://vimeo.com/67975230

https://vimeo.com/69262934

straight out of the camera no CC, password: radioactive

https://vimeo.com/68393006

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great stuff thanks for posting Rob. I hope some additional sizes come later, It's a modified Helios right?

The footage looks really beautiful, but usability would be low for me as one taking mm would be too limiting for narrative, and I couldn't maintain a consistent look if I mixed with other lenses.

Modify a Jupiter 9, a tair and mir 24 and I'd by a whole kit!

Thanks man, They are working on more options I plan on getting a complete kit from them. A 35 would be sweet I do own the Mir 24N and it is a sweet lens. I believe this is probably the one they would use for a DSO 35 but i cant confirm that. They have a new lens called the Trump which is really interesting as you can swap apertures, tints etc and is based off the same Russian 58mm. I have also seen a prototype posted somewhere of a 35mm Trump out there.

Thanks Paulio and Dahlfors, IM glad you found it helpful. Im doing more reviews on my gear and some post techniques to get the most out of dslr and comp trick etc. I learned so much from this forum I'll try to fin appropriate places to share but keep an eye out. Im kinda doing reviews from the post stand point. Trying to get the most out of cameras and on set to use creatively after the fact.

Hey Andy, I have seen those on ebay. I didnt like the results he first had up but some of his new photos on that listing seem a bit better. I cant seriously knock it till Ive tried it or seen a serious review.

I think the difference for me is the fact that I got to know Rich and Hans through the community here and know they are film makers actually manufacturing lenses so it wasnt a surprise that these were built quite well, but again I dont know who this other person is and if its just a blatant poorly done knock off or someone who is actually putting the time and love into the lenses they are producing.

OH I just read this as well be aware that the NIKON version is just including the M42 - Nikon adapter. This is not the same mod that DSO does. In order to reach infinity there is quite a bit of careful grinding that needs to be done so you can rotate enough and not hit the mirror. These other lenses will NOT reach infinity.

Yeah, Rich has been very helpful here on the forum, that's where my money goes :) From what I've understood it's not too easy to mod M42 for infinity focus for Nikon F-mount, had some friend who tried but failed. I like that, and that you get a few different options to choose from - and the lenses have that awesome finish as well - so DSO it is for me :)

The 2 nikon versions ran me around 286GBP that was shipping as well. Then I paid a bit more to get custom rings made to match the lens that I use to mount to the iscorama and sometimes as a lens hood. I like my lenses a lot but I would recommend going for the brushed metal finish. I didnt want to think about it till I saw some badass photos of them. Im also really wanting an Fmount Trump but I have to wait a bit, its hard cause I would like a full matching set of these....kinda addicted to cool lenses.

Hi I tried their supplied email address from their site, pretty much after their announcement. This was late March. I have emailed them a few weeks ago, and still no answer. Is there anyway I could get in touch with them to secure my order? I really want to buy a set of DSO lenses to shoot a short film with!

Hi I tried their supplied email address from their site, pretty much after their announcement. This was late March. I have emailed them a few weeks ago, and still no answer. Is there anyway I could get in touch with them to secure my order? I really want to buy a set of DSO lenses to shoot a short film with!

I've been trying as well.

hi I have tried a search for 'Rich' under member names, but could not find any specific Rich connected to DSO. A lot of members are named Rich, i clicked on a few that had a lot of posts but none were him.

Could you please PM me his contact or some other way to get into contact? Thanks so much!