Z CAM S35 camera

mirekti

So there’s been an ongoing thread on Z Cam Facebook group related to their Fall to be released S35 camera. The company is really trying to get customers’ input regarding the features. There’s also a rumor it would be presented on NAB. 14+ usable DR, 6k 60 fps, probably EF and M43 mounts will be available.

Anyone here excited about it?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

If it's M43 mount I'll definitely be interested. 

Same, fingers crossed for another S35 MFT camera! 

2 hours ago, majoraxis said:

Yes. Interested.  If it is 6k apsc size sensor does that translate to 4k for a 4/3 crop? If so and it is not much more then their current camera then that provides a lot of options lens wise.

Exactly, you could use 4K with *ALL* MFT lenses, and you could use 6K with "many" MFT lenses and nearly *all* adapted lenses on the MFT mount. 

Amazing. A few observations.

26mgpxls, X-T3 sensor?

XLR and Timecode thingies optional = more money.

No ND filter.

CFast media = very expensive, do not see SD cards anywhere.

In Europe, with the XLR and TMCD will be close, or more, to 5000€, reaching Ursa Mini Pro and FS5ii and maybe EVA territory. It will be a tough sell, but we will see.

2 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

3,995 USD

Ouch! Double the Z Cam E2 price 

At this price point I'd probably instead just wait to get lucky with a secondhand Panasonic EVA1 or Sony FS7 

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

XLR and Timecode thingies optional = more money.

My guess is the audio cable needed will be the same as for the Arri Alexa Mini

And probably what is needed for TC is the same as just got announced for TC with the Z Cam E2

25 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Ouch! Double the Z Cam E2 price 

At this price point I'd probably instead just wait to get lucky with a secondhand Panasonic EVA1 or Sony FS7

You could get an XT3 and the original z cam e2 with a speedbooster for that price.

Or a panasonic s1 and a Pocket 4k.

We will see how many features z cam packs in to make it worth that cost. They have been steadily adding to the e2 so maybe they have more up their sleeve.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

My guess is the audio cable needed will be the same as for the Arri Alexa Mini

And probably what is needed for TC is the same as just got announced for TC with the Z Cam E2

Eric Chen on Facebook from Z Cam confirmed my guesses as correct.

Even though the price is higher than I would like, it seems to make sense with 6k 60p for $4k with 14 stops of dynamic range with RAW 14bit video and XLR audio in etc.  If it is really good in low light with a small camera body, then it competes nicely with the USRA Mini Pro G2, if they can add internal ND.

I could see even large productions using this as a crash camera, b-camera or a-camera for low light and for lower budget production as a-camera.

There couldn't be a better time to be a digital film maker when it comes to purchasing a camera that is good enough for almost everything you could want to film... except say, two years from now when all of these great cameras are available used at a discount after the new 8k versions come out...

16 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

Even though the price is higher than I would like, it seems to make sense with 6k 60p for $4k with 14 stops of dynamic range with RAW 14bit video and XLR audio in etc.  If it is really good in low light with a small camera body, then it competes nicely with the USRA Mini Pro G2, if they can add internal ND.

I could see even large productions using this as a crash camera, b-camera or a-camera for low light and for lower budget production as a-camera.

There couldn't be a better time to be a digital film maker when it comes to purchasing a camera that is good enough for almost everything you could want to film... except say, two years from now when all of these great cameras are available used at a discount after the new 8k versions come out...

With 14bit ADC, the actual usable DR won’t be 14EV, you just get very clean blacks that get you nice numbers shooting charts. This is one of the reasons Fuji never went with 16bit on XT3 and GFX100.

But if they could properly implement DOL HDR mode on this IMX571 sensor with 2 ADC readout, it would have great potential.

Internal ND's are a must. Would be nice if they threw in an SD card slot as well for lower bitrate recording. 

The awesome thing about this camera is the recording options. RAW as well as H264 and H265, and Prores(I assume they will put in Prores as well?)

4k 120fps would have been a really smart move even if it means making the camera larger. 

54 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Internal ND's are a must. Would be nice if they threw in an SD card slot as well for lower bitrate recording. 

The awesome thing about this camera is the recording options. RAW as well as H264 and H265, and Prores(I assume they will put in Prores as well?)

4k 120fps would have been a really smart move even if it means making the camera larger. 

The sensor itself is not capable of 4K 120P. Unlike the original E2, this uses a stills-oriented sensor.

22 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Where does it say "raw"?

says 12  bit and 14 bit RAW

37 minutes ago, androidlad said:

The sensor itself is not capable of 4K 120P. Unlike the original E2, this uses a stills-oriented sensor.

unfortunate

Still in comparison with an EVA1 its $2500 cheaper and does internal RAW as well as maybe prores and at a higher resolution. The XT3 sensor is really nice if its the one being used. 

Wish it was $1000 cheaper but for what you get its really not a bad price.