Dam you ANAMORPHIC

enny

Ok over past few weeks i have spend countless hours researching and looking at videos of those anamorphic projection lenses like isco, sankor 16 c h b, different colors gold black some going for 20 dollars to 1000. On some of the lenses video is questionable. I seen 50 dollar lens beat 500 dollar in looks ,color and fell. Some people on eBay are asking for 500 1000 for isco gold ones for a lens where examples of video looks all like crap after crap and when you contact a seller and ask for a video examples they tell you to Google name of the lens, and after you find a examples you find out that that video was shoot with 30 year old lens  because there are like over 50 different iscos and Schneider. Then if you get a lens you will need to spend more money just for diopters and support rig i know i am renting but is it really worth it buying one?

Thanks guys

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

no matter what the forums and test videos say, the results you will get from an anamorphic will be directly proportionate and ultimately dependent on the time, effort and monetary outlay you spend on experimenting.

anamorphic, unless you can afford to hire production ready lens sets (and end up getting a set that actually works as it should, problem free) is a labor of love.  In order to yield good results significant experimenting of various lenses is needed.

Personally I think the current anamorphic trend is fuelled not only by the visual/aesthetic characteristics, but more so by the fact that unknowingly the bandwagoners don't realise that often the results from an anamorphic lens set are achieved more from the ability of the user rather than the actual equipment (the ability has been built up, honed and improved during many many hours of experimenting and trial and error.

obviously, an iscorama and a helios 44 is a proven combo that only a true muppet could fail to yield amazing images from.  but overall some of the nicest material I have seen has been from those who are working with cheaper lenses like the dual focus beasts like the kowa and sankors, and the little unknown 8mm dual focus options.  The limitations of the dual focus forces the user to work differently and this imparts a massive effect on the style of a piece.

what i'm trying to say is that IMO, any lens you buy on ebay will be lots of fun if your heart is in it enough to learn its strengths and weaknesses.

Some lenses might need to be stopped down to f5.6 to get sharpness, some might not allow use to infinity, or close focus.  some might not flare as much as others.  some might be softer or sharper.  take a punt.  if you dont like the one you go for you can resell.  and you'll have learned the strengths and weaknesses of that lens and if it fills criteria for a future project you'll know to re buy one for those beneficial aspects.

Thanks guys for reply richg101 when you say iscorama do you mean isco for short and is there specific one one you would chose of ebay? because there are so many to chose from  like SCO ULTRA STAR 2X CINEMASCOPE ANAMORPHIC ANAMORPHOT, Isco 2x Anamorphic Lens. Then some ISCO Ultra Star Plus 60mm. Or do you just buy any isco regardless of color because there are some with gold and blue ring. What do you think about Kowa Prominar 16-S

Thanks

i thought one comes to the forum to get  answers not to get advertisement to buy staff- EOSHD anamorphic guide which i did but it did not answer my questions except to tell  me to buy expensive lens and stay away from projection lens where in reality some of the projection lenses are dam good and are in good price range. But what ever ;)

You can probably use it with a 40-50mm lens on Micro Four Thirds cameras. on APS-C, you might need a 50-60mm lens. I don't have one, I have a Kowa, but my Kowa is supposed to go a bit wider than the Sankors, and I can do 35mm on GH2, 45-50mm on APS-C. ON fullfram photographic (like the 5D), I need at least an 85mm lens, so you probably need something like a 90 or 100mm. Just try a couple lenses and you will know. Get manual prime lenses like Canon FD, Contax Zeiss, Tamron SP, or Nikon AI/AI-s, etc. as anamorphic lenses work best with those types of lenses.

Honestly, just experiment a bit. The Sankors are for the most part on the better end of the spectrum, except for the fact that you must focus both prime and anamorphic (but hey, unless you've got major $$$ for a Lomo or a genuine Iscorama, you pretty much have to dual focus). 

Everyone is suggesting getting the guide because it is quite helpful and really . . . it isn't very expensive. Any money you spend on it you will probably save in the long run because it will save you from making a bad purchase or two . . . and help you make the right one too.

i will be using my sankro 16c with 60d i will pick my sankor tomorrow and it come with clamp 52 mm ring does this clamp mean that i can use any lens 52 mm and up? how do you like your kowa? There is Kowa Prominar 16-S on ebay for 425 thinking if i should get kowa.

There is also Schneider Kreuznach Cinemascope Anamorphic Lens small and portable made in 2000 or close to that suppose to be the sharpest lens and it goes nicely with ef lens. I believe short film red walker was shoot on it and it looks sharp dam sharp but to HD. How come pople are not jumping on jumping to buy such sharp lens

here are some pictures of the Tecnoir Schneider Anamorphic lens rig.

Tecnoir is the only company that has designed and manufuctred a lens holder for the Schneider Aanamorphic lens for your 15mm rod rail system.

The Tecnoir lens holder fully supports your lens and BOTH ends for maximum stability while filming on your 15mm rods

plus it has a locking ring that clamps the rear of the Schnieder lens into the correct horizontal allignment - you do this once - lock it and forget about it - prefect allignement every time you film with this lens.

I have 3 Schneiders that have mint as new glass available NOW for sale with Tecnoir lens holders

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231007952238

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1586.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1586.l2649

9138849486_b6f62fdccb.jpg

9138847620_dcba8418d2.jpg

9138859236_6c0a7c98c2.jpg

Because Schneider anamorphics usually have to be focused by a screw. They were meant to be set once for projection and left alone. They are really not designed for easy focus setting. And it is a dual focus system.

At least that is what held me back. The prices are alright.

Edit: you can see the screw on the front of the lens on the images in Andy's post.

The Scheider has a knurled focusing knob you use.

they are very easy and precise to use I do prefer this sytem  - precise German engineering at its best - very very smooth focusing , better than a helicoid in my view - thats why this is the lens I always to go and use myself - Schneider are King in my book!!

and the glass kills anything else out there is it is supeb and so sharp  - the best you can buy!!

Well since the guide DOES answer the basic questions you asking, it's somewhat rude to come in with the attitude that we should be jumping to answer things that can be easily looked up.  ;)

And the guide is right,  bulky projection lenses are not a good purchase, if cheapness is your main factor there are far better options.

i thought one comes to the forum to get  answers not to get advertisement to buy staff- EOSHD anamorphic guide which i did but it did not answer my questions except to tell  me to buy expensive lens and stay away from projection lens where in reality some of the projection lenses are dam good and are in good price range. But what ever ;)

There is no attitude on my part, and its up to you to answer questions on this forum you don't have to if you don't want to. But when newbies such as my self ask for help we don't need advertising to a book as the answer. And don't we all like to get staff for cheap? that why we have eBay Craigslist Kijiji

I mentioned this in your other thread, but just buy the guide. It will answer this and a lot of other start up questions.

have fun :)

It's not advertising, I have no affiliation with the site. It's just your question sounds more like a stream of conciousness, and the next 10 questions that come after that are probably already covered and it would save everyone from having to spoon feed you. But here let me answer a couple.

Yes you will need diopters for close focus on pretty much all anamorphics, how close you can get without diopters varies, but the minimum focus for most of the popular lenses are covered in the guide, or you can google.

Yes bigger adapters like Kowa B&H,  will realistically need a rail based support rig. Even on an iscorama 36 which is compact i like to use a support.

Yes there are many types of anamorphic with names like isco, iscorama and they vary wildly in terms of features and usablity.

If you are looking at the cheap end of the spectrum,   Kowa B&H has some of the best optics of any affordable anamorphic, and a 2x stretch,  brilliant minimum focus. Only con is its dual focus.

Century optics I have not used personally but have a good reputation for usability, again at the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Beware when buying on EBAY, many of the lenses are overpriced and deliberately mislabeled "iscorama".

Paulio is right,... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverything Paulio just wrote is already in the forum. 

it is very rare that anyone will have a specific circumstance soooooooooooooooooo outside of what has already been covered that the answer isnt already in the forum.

i'm a cheap bastard, i didnt buy the quide, but i did spend weeks going through the forum and the answers were pretty much there,... and most of the anamorphics i have are rare and unknown. 

to your original question though,.. is it really worth buying one? rich said it all, and i think that if you have to ask then it probably isnt worth it to you right now. they might get more expensive later, or later there might be some super duper new technology that blows anamorphics away, who knows. 

some prices are silly,.. if i didnt get mine dirt cheap i honestly might not bother, but then i wouldnt know what i was missing :)

I still think that the best is to find a Sankor/Singer/Sun/Kowa for about $100 max. There are always some on ebay for that kind of money. I think it is not a big investment, you are not throwing away a lot of money and you will not be stuck with a lens you don't like because the market is very busy right now, so even if you don't like the lens, you can still sell it.

I bought my SUN for about $100 on a local auction site. I am not blown away by this lens, but I like the overall look (it is not sharp but the out of focus parts are very pleasing for me), I like playing with optics so I know I will never sell this lens although I know I will only use it occasionally.

I was so interested in anamorphics that reading a lot about them was not enough, I had to try one. If you are so interested, just buy a cheap one (and make sure not to buy a huge projection lens that needs support rig) and try it out, see how hard it is to get proper focus. Try the whole workflow, how to properly stretch the footage.