Anamorphic for iphone

yiomo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

in theory a larger base should give you  greater rigidity  for a given diameter, kinda like how  its easier to bend a half inch in pipe compared inch and a quarter. However if your worried about bending stuff you really shouldn't be using your iphone as a lever.  Does the lens screw on to the iphone ? if its threaded, so long as you don't cross thread it it should self align and remain parallel if its a push on type then  all bets are off and you will need to judge it as best you can when you mount it. i kinda like a wider diameter pipe just for the thought that a narrower pipe might constrict the light perhaps. but the these things are supposed to be engineered so who knows. are you talking about moments lens for iphone or something else ? 

I had the Moon Dog Anamorphic and now I have the Moment Anamorphic. I think the Moon Dog wins hands down on the stabilization part is better on the case or a aftermarket thing. But the 37mm is pretty huge to have to deal with also, I think the Moon Dog is a better overall Anamorphic lens but the normal Moment lenses are very hard to beat. And they are on average pretty small to deal with. And you can leave the Moment case on all the time. You are not doing that with the Moon Dog case and the clip on thing, which I have, is not a good option at all.

If you are going for more of a Pro look output wise go with the Moon Dog, if you are just doing this for fun, family stuff go the Moment route. The Moon Dog stuff is a hassle trust me. Big and clunky equipment to do it. You can put the Moment stuff in your pocket. But both are pretty amazingly good for Anamorphic stuff. Done well it can be Pro looking output wise. They are not just toys. They hold up pretty damn good to the big boy stuff. Cheap trills and a darn good way to get into Anamorphic on the cheap. Phones are getting scary better each year now.

On 3/26/2019 at 1:59 PM, leslie said:

in theory a larger base should give you  greater rigidity  for a given diameter, kinda like how  its easier to bend a half inch in pipe compared inch and a quarter. However if your worried about bending stuff you really shouldn't be using your iphone as a lever.  Does the lens screw on to the iphone ? if its threaded, so long as you don't cross thread it it should self align and remain parallel if its a push on type then  all bets are off and you will need to judge it as best you can when you mount it. i kinda like a wider diameter pipe just for the thought that a narrower pipe might constrict the light perhaps. but the these things are supposed to be engineered so who knows. are you talking about moments lens for iphone or something else ? 

Looking at the moondog labs one and was trying to decide about the case. I finally got the RhinoShield one with the 12.5mm. It should work better on a gimbal and easier to use. Other options are either unavailable or too expensive in Europe.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:27 PM, webrunner5 said:

I had the Moon Dog Anamorphic and now I have the Moment Anamorphic. I think the Moon Dog wins hands down on the stabilization part is better on the case or a aftermarket thing. But the 37mm is pretty huge to have to deal with also, I think the Moon Dog is a better overall Anamorphic lens but the normal Moment lenses are very hard to beat. And they are on average pretty small to deal with. And you can leave the Moment case on all the time. You are not doing that with the Moon Dog case and the clip on thing, which I have, is not a good option at all.

If you are going for more of a Pro look output wise go with the Moon Dog, if you are just doing this for fun, family stuff go the Moment route. The Moon Dog stuff is a hassle trust me. Big and clunky equipment to do it. You can put the Moment stuff in your pocket. But both are pretty amazingly good for Anamorphic stuff. Done well it can be Pro looking output wise. They are not just toys. They hold up pretty damn good to the big boy stuff. Cheap trills and a darn good way to get into Anamorphic on the cheap. Phones are getting scary better each year now.

That’s great insight. Thanks. I d love a case that would hold both  the moment and moondog lenses, but not possible. From what I ve seen I like the moondog labs better for anamorphic. Indeed going the 37mm route is too much, I might as well grab my mirror less. Then again I don’t have an anamorphic lens for it...

i think the RhinoShield case will do for now and if I need to use a moment lens I guess will have to get a moment case. 

But the beast grip looks very rigid. So does Helium Core that is not available in Europe.

1 hour ago, yiomo said:

Looking at the moondog labs one and was trying to decide about the case. I finally got the RhinoShield one with the 12.5mm. It should work better on a gimbal and easier to use. Other options are either unavailable or too expensive in Europe.

That’s great insight. Thanks. I d love a case that would hold both  the moment and moondog lenses, but not possible. From what I ve seen I like the moondog labs better for anamorphic. Indeed going the 37mm route is too much, I might as well grab my mirror less. Then again I don’t have an anamorphic lens for it...

i think the RhinoShield case will do for now and if I need to use a moment lens I guess will have to get a moment case. 

But the beast grip looks very rigid. So does Helium Core that is not available in Europe.

Trouble is with the Beastgrip , which I Had, is you might a well be carrying a Canon C100 around. You look like a Dingbat holding it, and you stand out like a sore thumb in public with a Mike with a dead cat on it and a LCD light hanging on it someplace. For stealth stuff the Moment stuff is the way to go. Now if you are trying to make a serious short with a 4 people, crew and cast or more, well head out with the Moondog and the Beastgrip Full speed ahead.