Sony RX100 mk2 and RX-1R

MKjaer

Of course the courtesy of a link (to a reproducible, scientific comparison test of course!) would be appreciated...

I honestly doubt Sony would cripple the video on a MkII edition that added an articulating screen and a pricey EVF add-on that would be of most interest to videographers. The thing already has enough intrinsic limitations on quality that it can't threaten the higher end of the range even if they gave it 240fps 4K RAW.

RX100II:

http://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/Cybershot-DSCRX100-II-5201/highres/Sony-Cybershot-RX100-II-AWB-Tungsten-DSC00108_1373293702.jpg

RX100:

http://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/Cybershot-DSCRX100-4158/highres/sony-cybershot-rx100-awb-tungsten-DSC01112_1343909806.jpg

Look at the grey chart and the films boxes.

I suspect it's prolly caused by the new backlit technology and the drop in quality of lenses, plus the newer version is Made in China instead of Made in Japan.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That is a pitiful comparison. The exposure isn't matched, nothing's matched. The mkII is flat out out of focus. There should be licensing requirements to post product comparisons on the web (joking, but seriously...).

I am sorry to say I also had high hope like you before. And I was so pleased about the spec but there are many reports concerning IQ even from Japan users.

Based on the softness of this RX100II lens, it may even affect the Video quality which apparently we liked a lot about the original RX100.

Based on the softness of this RX100II lens, it may even affect the Video quality which apparently we liked a lot about the original RX100.

It kind of sucks if it's worse than mkI (well not really for me since I own one :)  ), but for video, the softness could help improving aliasing, while keeping it as sharp as before, since you don't need as much resolution in HD.

It kind of sucks if it's worse than mkI (well not really for me since I own one :)  ), but for video, the softness could help improving aliasing, while keeping it as sharp as before, since you don't need as much resolution in HD.

the significant change of mkii to me is that it provides an opportunity for mic in which is a huge plus for video, i would wait for some more advanced testing before buying it. ;)  

• 1 month later...

Hello - Thanks for the review and your site. I just found it! 

I have a panasonic lx5 as a somewhat decent point and shoot...just for family stuff, kids etc. I was thinking of going up to a 4/3. There seems to be different views whether the rx100 wins vs a mid tier 4/3 or not. It seems to get the benefits of the 4/3, you need a high end 4/3..so $1k or so..Then a great (non kit) lens with it. Is this true for a real step up in terms of video and stills?

Would you still recommend the rx100 as a great (the best), portable camera? Is the $150 price difference to this new 2nd version worth it?

What are perhaps the tiers?

1. rx100

2. big step up in stills/video? -? 

3. dream set up, no $$ worries?

thanks!

Brett

Hello - 

So, as a hybrid - wanting both great stills and video in compact form -> rx100 II or lx7? I guess the answer is Rx100 II although i have seen some comparisons say there is very very little difference to the average human. LX7 is on sale at amazon for i think $350!!

Why should i get the sony?

Thanks!

Brett