G85 successor to be announced next month?!

newfoundmass

https://www.43rumors.com/ft4-panasonic-g85-rumored-to-be-announced-in-early-april/

They upgraded this to an FT5, too.

This is exciting, because not only is the G85 one of the most underrated cameras out there, BUT it also might give us an idea on what we can expect from the GH6, similar to how the G85 did for the GH5. 

I'm guessing we'll see an improvement in low light, IBIS, and auto focus. Hopefully we get a more robust codec for 1080p, as that was my biggest gripe with the G85. Maybe some higher frame rates? 4K 60p seems unlikely, though who knows? 

I will say, I really, really hope this isn't a small update, like the LX100 mk. II was. I think that'd be really, really stupid on Panasonic's part, and maybe a sign that they've reached the limits of what they're capable of doing or an indication that they've changed their philosophy of putting as much as they can into a camera. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

They upgraded this to an FT5, too.

Interesting how it went from FT3, to FT4, to FT5

That is two distinct jumps it made, thus the MFT owner must have got some new info, then on top of that got at least twice more some extra intel as well to lead to the 1st and then the 2nd upgrade in the rumor ratings. 

2 hours ago, buggz said:

How do the G85 and GX85 differ?  I need to google, as I want a decent camera for my niece to learn and use.

G85 has: flip out screen and mic jack

The lack of these makes the GX85 a deal breaker for me 

6 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm guessing we'll see an improvement in low light, IBIS, and auto focus. Hopefully we get a more robust codec for 1080p, as that was my biggest gripe with the G85. Maybe some higher frame rates? 4K 60p seems unlikely, though who knows? 

Hopefully some 120fps action, was a pity that the G85 capped out at 60fps no matter how low you set your resolution. 

I hope they charge $1200 and give us:

1. Unlimited recording time.

2. 10-bit 4-2-0 internal.

3. A few flavours of VLog and bitrate options.

4. 120fps.

5. Better autofocus in video.

6. A 20(/+) sensor with improved RAW.

7. EVF being slightly better.

8. Headphon jack. Though it's a hardware thing and if they haven't implemented it, it won't make it. 

The XT3 is like $1500 (probably $1399 and below at few places now), and is a monster for video and stills. Panasonic can only beat or equal that camera in video performance, at a slightly lower price point. They should try and make the most of it.

I am bored with the 8-bit 4-2-0 regurgitated from every camera ever made. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

That price puts it a little too close to the Panasonic GH5 which is easily found for US$1.5K ish

True. I would have said $1000, but Panny may not be able to allow for limitless recording and 10-bit 4-2-0, apart from the headphone jack. The GH5 has dual card slots, multiple recording options, huge battery life, and some amazing dual stabilisation options too. 

But the GH5 has a 2-3 year old sensor now, which needs improvement in areas like low light and colour science, among others. The video dynamic range also needs working on. 

Panasonic must IMHO start with moving away from the 8-bit 4-2-0 codec. 

Guys, don't raise too much your expectations.

The G85 was a GX85 in a "DSLR" body, better EVF, weather sealing, Dual IS 2, flip screen and mic input. The absence of the 6k Photo Mode, for me, tells that this camera is the same - a GX9 with the same improvements. Hence, the same 1,22x crop over the MFTs 2x crop, and the same video specs, same DFD AF.

Price will probably US$ 899 - clashes with the XT-30, which is arguably a better video camera; probably Panasonic will bet that IBIS and weather sealing will be enough.

Hope that I'm wrong, but after the LX200, I see Panasonic not spending a dime in reasearch for the new MFT cameras until the GH6.

I'm with ^

Camera manufacturers have been hit hard over the last few years, mainly because of smartphones (btw, Huawei P30 Pro launch in about 15 mins or so; livestream here ). We seen them shy away from catering for the entrylevel/low-end in favor of the high-end where the money now has to be made. Everybody is playing the segmentation game and crippling certain features in order to generate more sales elsewhere. And the low-end gets a minimum effort make-over with increased prices. This isn't just a Canon strategy (which has worked for them for years unfortunately), Panasonic is doing it now too. The GX9 was more of a successor to the GX80/85 than the GX8. No longer, like the GH2 and GH4 is there one flagship camera that they put everything into. If you want it all you have to get all three flagship bodies: GH5, G9 and GH5S. Increased focus on high-end lenses. Cameras like the LX100 and FZ1000 hardly getting a worthy gen II update people were looking forward to. They still make great cameras, but the G80/85 was one of their last really awesome bang-for-buck cameras for people on a budget/or just in general as a B-cam or something... and I doubt they'll make the same 'mistake' again as I think their strategy has shifted. GH4 -> G80/85 was a great step and option to have of course. But don't expect fairydust and unicorns this time around.

Unless Panasonic combines the GH6 and GH6s into one model and then delineates the G90/95 as a mini GH5, I’d have to agree that not much will change.

In an odd way, Panasonic and even Sony went too hard, too fast with 4K and other features that now they have a stagnant lower tier with no tech to expand it.

At most, expect G9 video specs. I’d love to see some of the GH5 specs filter down like better 1080p codecs and bitrates but they have to save something for the FZ5000.

LX100 and FZ1000mkII releases were dissapointing, especially in their image pipeline. 

They were more like refreshes than new groundbreaking and desirable cameras.

They also have cine cameras to protect and a brand new - and very expensive - full frame mirrorless system.

Except the GH series, I do not see too much innovation at the mid and lower end. It is not profitable.

7 hours ago, sanveer said:

I hope they charge $1200 and give us:

1. Unlimited recording time.

2. 10-bit 4-2-0 internal.

3. A few flavours of VLog and bitrate options.

4. 120fps.

5. Better autofocus in video.

6. A 20(/+) sensor with improved RAW.

7. EVF being slightly better.

8. Headphon jack. Though it's a hardware thing and if they haven't implemented it, it won't make it. 

The XT3 is like $1500 (probably $1399 and below at few places now), and is a monster for video and stills. Panasonic can only beat or equal that camera in video performance, at a slightly lower price point. They should try and make the most of it.

I am bored with the 8-bit 4-2-0 regurgitated from every camera ever made. 

That'll put it too close and in some cases above the G9. Not going to happen.

In the mirrorless world, It's been a pretty consistent series of disappointing releases since the GH5, really (for every manufacturer) - especially when it comes to video. The GH5 and GH5s are still the most specced out cameras in the space.

Canon RF-mount has the amazing variable ND adapter (and it is awesome), but I've been pretty underwhelmed with the video quality after shooting on GH5 for two years (besides lovely colors). Sony and Panasonic have otherwise been consistently pushing out 8-bit codec mirrorless cameras. Nikon/Canon offer 10-bit out, but sort of defeats the purpose of a small camera if you need to slap a recorder onto it. Looking forward to the full version of the Panasonic S1 as I think that's our best bet for a decent upgrade in internal video quality.

Fuji has been exciting and close to putting all the pieces together. 

Even the cinema updates and new lines (FS7, FS5, C200) have been pretty underwhelming (outside of C200 raw, which is awesome). EVA-1 was great but with a couple tough flaws. Black Magic has pushed a couple amazing cameras, but again with some serious flaws like battery life (Pocket 4K) - though the Ursa Mini Pro G2 looks great.

--

Hoping to see some bigger shifts in the next year like we saw 3-4 years ago with Sony and Panasonics torrid release rate. I think it will come in the GH6 (with its internal NDs, 120fps 4K, 5.7k multi-aspect sensor, GH5s low light capabilities) and some form of mini cinema camera (C100, FS53, EVA-2) in the $4-7k space. 

--

2018/2019 definitely feels like a big transition period for all manufacturers, with the three biggest all having new lines, new mounts, very few native lenses, and new technology to work with. I'm sure it will all sort itself out and we'll see some great stuff in the next 12-24 months.