Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D800 for video

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/canon-5d-mark-iii-vs-nikon-d800-video.jpg[/img]

For the vast majority of DSLR shooters these cameras are a lot of money so it is important to get the right one. Often it could be a small feature that sways it for your individual needs so it is never right to say that one camera is ‘better’ for ‘everyone’. It isn’t as cut and dry.

However it is possible to be objective about image quality. I’d say the 5D Mark III definitely has the better internal codec and resolution.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7311/canon-5d-mark-iii-vs-nikon-d800-for-video/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Thanks Andrew nicely summed up!

Although the Nikon D4 is more pricier I'd be more looking at a D4 canon comparison because of the better crop factors in the D4 although image quality would be the ultimate winner for me.

I would like to see 10 bit clean hdmi out which none of them have. Maybe NAB might bring us one.

I can't help thinking though a camera with 10 bit out will have other problems that will cripple it.

Hi Andrew,

I've been running all over the net looking for a hacked GH2 to 5D Mark 3 comparison, but I know it may be too soon for that.  With the hack, you can get intra framing as well on the GH2 right?  I've seen some amazingly cinematic videos come out of the GH2.  I'm one week from buying my main camera rig.  I was dead set on the GH2 with your intra-esting patch until the 5d just came out of nowhere,lol. Now im not so sure.  Im not rich, but i would definitely be willing to splurge for the mark 3 if it was worth it.  So far ive seen a 91 variable bitrate, all-i compression, and its full frame.  Besides the full frame factor,  do you think it's truly worth the extra $2400 for the 5D when a hacked GH2 is the opponent?  I'd be very interested....

• Administrators
Very big difference in price! The GH2 has a marvellous codec with the hack and insane detail. Only splurge on the 5D Mark III if you really need the large full frame sensor, timecode, and *possibly* a very superior image especially in low light. I'd also wait for the proper sample videos and reviews before making a decision. GH2 is so cheap. Why not get both if you can afford the 5D Mark III? Not much more of a stretch over the top.

Very interesting reading. I too would wait on the new 5D until we find out for sure about video and audio quality. Great to have a headphone jack but if we still have to shoot double system sound because of the same old pre-amp noise then the headphone jack is not so valuable.

One thing I don't understand. I thought the D4 has 1.5x and 2.7x crop
and the D800 only has 1.5x crop.

For me, one of THE most compelling features of the GH2 over everything else available right now is the amazing crop-factor.

In my opinion, the problem with the 5D3 is the price point.
Because if the HDMI out on the Nikon happens to be killer quality, a D800 + Atomos Ninja is only $500 more than the 5D3. And we'll have a clear winner (compression wise + monitor) here for hi/mid end production. Just saying.

You are English.  Why are you using "Period" like an american?  I've always found it an unnecessary and arrogant characteristic.

Other than that. Great site.  I can't see the Nikon solving the moire problem with the HDMI-out either.  Its a sampling issue.  As far as I'm concerned they have brought out a last generation camera.

I think the fact that the 5d mk3 has a 5760 horizontal resolution which is an exact 3x multiple of 1920 will contribute to very clean and fast downscaling.

I am extremely in interested to see what features trickle down into the 650d.  But for a direct multiple they would have to have a 22.3 megapixel aps-c sensor or go down to 9.8304 megapixel which is probably to low for stills.

Andrew, I'm a bit confused by the crop-factor on these cameras. Can you explain? I thought the D4 had a DX - 1.5x crop and something akin to the GH2 - 2.7 x crop mode whilst the D800 only has DX - 1.5x crop factor as an option to full frame?

If the new 5D doesn't have at least a 1.6x crop mode then it's a big disappointment for me and I'll have to wait for the 70D, T4i or get a GH2 which effectively has a 5x crop mode at 1080p.

Also can you explain about audio adjustments whilst recording. Is it right that the new 5D offers manual audio adjustments whilst recording and both new Nikons only offer manual audio adjustment prior to hitting the record button?

Many thanks!

• Administrators
[quote author=MattH link=topic=354.msg2181#msg2181 date=1330804753]
You are English.  Why are you using "Period" like an american?  I've always found it an unnecessary and arrogant characteristic.

Other than that. Great site.  I can't see the Nikon solving the moire problem with the HDMI-out either.  Its a sampling issue.  As far as I'm concerned they have brought out a last generation camera.

I think the fact that the 5d mk3 has a 5760 horizontal resolution which is an exact 3x multiple of 1920 will contribute to very clean and fast downscaling.

I am extremely in interested to see what features trickle down into the 650d.  But for a direct multiple they would have to have a 22.3 megapixel aps-c sensor or go down to 9.8304 megapixel which is probably to low for stills.
[/quote]

Very interesting point about the horizontal resolution. Seems video is the reason it is 22MP.

Canon seem to be taking us seriously. Nikon would never spec a DSLR sensor with video in mind.

ohh blessed nikon why do you not wait.
why always be first too show your stale video goods.
d90 humiliation.
rotten video implementation.
trumped by a flawed canon.
such loss of face.
next time be patient.
wait let your enemies show the cards,let them show the firepower they have.
then react in that critical decisive moment.
if these moving picture retarded nikon cameras keep coming,we can only assume it is a policy.

nikon understands something about video.
never go full retard.. :)

I had high hopes for Nikon, mainly because they don't have a video department to protect.  They could literally go all out in their DSLR Video features.  It seems that they really did try, cuz how else do you explain the clean HDMI out?  Still you have to wonder just what they could do if they decided to compete with the C300, FS100, AF100...  Nikon could put up a serious contender.  Just makes me wonder if they do have some intention to enter the fray.

Very important subject indeed. Does the D800 equal or excel against the <5DMkII> for video? I would expect at least that.
Nikon came late on the video party. But i would use the GH2/GH3 for more video use and
the Canon or Nikons for Stills/TL/secondary-specific video.

It makes sense to me to hold off on a purchase until both cameras have really been tested thoroughly. Andrew has pointed out that we haven't seen the best from either of these camera based upon the images and video released so far. I also agree with user Johnnie the Audio edge has to go to Canon for the ability to adjust audio levels WHILE RECORDING. IMO it's a huge shortcoming for the D800.

Looks like you already make you mind before even trying the d800, most of you expecualtions are based in a poor resolution video, shoot by someone else with a pre production, I preorder boths will do some test and them return one. for me clean 4:2:2 is a must really hope the nikon to be a good contender but never would make any desicition without trying it my self, dynamic range, holding in post and  low light performance are important for me.

Yes, I totally agree on waiting.  If I have to go by Radball, I'll stick with the GH2 for about a quarter of the price.  I'm sure it's an awesome camera, but there are cameras coming out left and right this year.  We still have yet to see a 4k DSLR...  The sad thing is, it will probably be as much, if not more than the 1DX $ wise.  If you walk up to anybody with some camera savvy and say 5D Mark 2 to them, more than likely the first thing that would come to their mind would be video.  After 3 years of R & D, this camera should've been 4k, full frame, clean HDMI out, 10 bit, 4:2:2, etc..... with the option of stills while recording... ha!  $4000.  Game over. 

;) Anyway I'll wake up now.  The one that will blow the videographers away this year will be a case of save the best for last, and I believe that will be the GH3 at Photokina later on.  So the whole concept of Nikon blowing their load before everybody else is really relevant for the GH3...  :D 

[quote author=Germy1979 link=topic=354.msg2205#msg2205 date=1330874853]
Yes, I totally agree on waiting.  If I have to go by Radball, I'll stick with the GH2 for about a quarter of the price.  I'm sure it's an awesome camera, but there are cameras coming out left and right this year.  We still have yet to see a 4k DSLR...  The sad thing is, it will probably be as much, if not more than the 1DX $ wise.  If you walk up to anybody with some camera savvy and say 5D Mark 2 to them, more than likely the first thing that would come to their mind would be video.  After 3 years of R & D, this camera should've been 4k, full frame, clean HDMI out, 10 bit, 4:2:2, etc..... with the option of stills while recording... ha!  $4000.  Game over. 

;) Anyway I'll wake up now.  The one that will blow the videographers away this year will be a case of save the best for last, and I believe that will be the GH3 at Photokina later on.  So the whole concept of Nikon blowing their load before everybody else is really relevant for the GH3...  :D

EDIT:

However, Mario & Nette looks amazing.... 
[/quote]

If Nikon wanted to start swaying those on the fence, now would be a good time to start releasing some more information.

For those like who are not quite there yet with the money, it's a bit easier to sit back and wait for all the cards to be played.

We still have the 4K dslr (probably too rich for most people) and most importantly Sony.

Sony will be the biggest factor for me when making a purchase near the end of the year.