GH5 + Ninja V delay is MASSIVE, just me?

Linus N

Hey shooters!

I received my Ninja V about a week ago or so and set it up for testing. To my eye the delay is way too much to be usable in a shooting scenario involving anything but static shots or very slow movements. I compared it to an Aputure monitor and a SmallHD monitor we had laying around and the delay to those monitors are about 1/10th of the delay I get into the Ninja V.

To give more context of the tests (I don't have the camera infront of me right now so some phrases might be off):

• I've tried all system frequency modes and a variety of framerates, concluding that the higher the framerate the lower the delay. I.e. 24fps has more lag than 50fps and so on
  • Delay is the same in 1080p and 4K
  • Tested a variety of output scaling options from the GH5; 4K, 1080p, auto - same delay in all of them
  • Tested different HDMI bit mode settings (8bit 4:2:0 and 10bit 4:2:2) with no difference in lag
  • I've fiddled with all HDMI settings in the GH5 to A/B test different combinations and the lag remains the same no matter what
  • I've tested with two different GH5's and one GH5S, all displaying the same amount of lag
  • Tried different cables (and yes, made sure that the one I have is 4K 60p compatible)
  • Turning on or off different monitor tools being sent from the GH5 to the Ninja V made no difference
  • One thing I haven't tried yet is testing the Ninja V on a different type of HDMI output. A cinematographer friend in another city tested it with the Panasonic EVA-1 and experienced no issues

I e-mailed Atomos support and got a one line response: "Yes, the delay is caused by the GH5.". If this was the entire truth the delay would be the same to other monitors with equal settings.

I can't imagine anyone else on this forum not having experienced the same thing with the GH5+Ninja V combo, but searching the forum gave me no hits (or I'm a bad forum detective).

So, have you experienced this? Did you solve it? How? Do you not have the same delay issue?

I'm really liking the image and interface in terms of usability of the Ninja V, but the delay just makes it unusable for my specific use-case.

Thanks in advance! Here are two videos comparing the Ninja V and Aputure VS-3 (or 2, not entirely sure)

Ninja V

Aputure VS-3 (or VS-2)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I shoot interviews with an EVA1 and a GH5s. Both are connected to a 15.6" 4k production monitor. Toggling between the two, the EVA1 signal is dead-on while the GH5s shows serious lag. It's ridiculous, really -- maybe 4 to 5 frames of delay. I don't have a Ninja V, but it would be interesting to see if it introduced lag when connected to the EVA1, which again, has nearly none when connected to any of my monitors or EVFs.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:13 PM, Zak Forsman said:

I shoot interviews with an EVA1 and a GH5s. Both are connected to a 15.6" 4k production monitor. Toggling between the two, the EVA1 signal is dead-on while the GH5s shows serious lag. It's ridiculous, really -- maybe 4 to 5 frames of delay. I don't have a Ninja V, but it would be interesting to see if it introduced lag when connected to the EVA1, which again, has nearly none when connected to any of my monitors or EVFs.

Yeah, both the GH5 and GH5S (and GH4 for that matter) have a very apparent and distracting delay over HDMI which I've come to terms with in pairing with my older monitors. The added delay of the Atomos, however, is just too much. I'll have to wait and see what Atomos final word will be, but it puts me in a situation of either ditching the GH5 or ditching the Ninja V either way.

11 hours ago, tonysss said:

GH5 has 150-170ms  ?

Atomos has 150ms....

together more than 300ms ! 

Ugh! Do you have any source(s) for these numbers? I'm curious to learn more

all atomos recorders have latency from 50-200ms depending on what kind of function is enabled (LUT, wave, etc.)

It is easy to measure, turn on the laptop screen stopwatch with miliseconds and HDMI output connect to the Ninja , and take photo your mobile phone both screens simultaneously.

my old Ninja 2 has 180ms

my blackmagic videoassist has no latency with LUT disable. (immeasurable)

Video assist 5" with LUT enable has 60-70ms latency

Notebook hdmi out has minimal latency (1-2ms)

for gh5 it was no matter what I turned on, it was always 140-170ms!

BMMCC has 80ms

Sony Z150 - SDI out has 50ms

using a higher frame rate (50p) is output latency mostly by half. (I use on live big screen show 50p only)

4D2D1F3E-E720-4D62-8029-41EBCE712FF2.jpeg