GH5 Speedbooster + Sankor 16D Help

Slothfilm101

I recently purchased a Sankor 16D to go along side my GH5 + Viltrox speedbooster with a helios 44-2 58mm lens.

However when I came to use the camera, the lens was vignetting when focused from roughly 10m+. Can anyone recommend either a new taking lens or to get hold of a "short scope" anamorphic as on Tito Ferradans's anamorphic calculator, a short scope lens with a speedbooster + 58mm lens shouldn't vignette.

My goal here is to obtain the widest possible field of view for an upcoming short film I'm working on.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/22/2019 at 9:03 PM, Slothfilm101 said:

Can anyone recommend either a new taking lens or to get hold of a "short scope" anamorphic as on Tito Ferradans's anamorphic calculator, a short scope lens with a speedbooster + 58mm lens shouldn't vignette.

The only short scopes that come to my mind are: Kowa 16H / 8Z, Kowa for Bell & Howell, Elmoscope II. They are optically identical.

Unfortunately, they usually sell for 600 - 800 $, if not higher.

As for taking lenses: take a look at pancake-ish Voigtlander 40/2 (https://kenrockwell.com/voigtlander/40mm-f2.htm). Many people recommend it.
Just pair with a dumb adapter (no speedbooster, God forbid!) and you'll be good to go.

On 3/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, Slothfilm101 said:

I recently purchased a Sankor 16D to go along side my GH5 + Viltrox speedbooster with a helios 44-2 58mm lens.

However when I came to use the camera, the lens was vignetting when focused from roughly 10m+. Can anyone recommend either a new taking lens or to get hold of a "short scope" anamorphic as on Tito Ferradans's anamorphic calculator, a short scope lens with a speedbooster + 58mm lens shouldn't vignette.

My goal here is to obtain the widest possible field of view for an upcoming short film I'm working on.

A few things first:

What does the speedbooster now make your sensor - is it S35/APS or FF?

- If it's S35/APS, then the 58mm isn't going to cut it. You'll have to use an 85mm. (if it's FF, then that becomes 135mm).

If you take off the Speedbooster & use the native M43, then you'll be able to use the Helios - in fact you could use a 50mm lens or you might get away with something smaller so try a 35 or a 40mm.

That's your problem - you're using the wrong size taking lens.

The larger Kowa will enable you to use a 45mm (maybe a 40mm) on APC size (with your speedbooster) & a 35mm on M43.

Also, another thing to remember is that by using the Sankor 16D you will be getting a wider field of view than 85mm or 50mm, so don't get hung up on that! The Sankor 16D is a nice lens, so just work with it, rather than against it. Also what people tend to forget, or never knew, is that these anamorphic adaptors actually work best with longer focal length taking lenses - the wider the taking lens the more distortion etc. you will get!