Audio for sports - MTB - sound devices and ntg?

Flogbox

Everyone was such a huge help in my MTB video thread, i need some more help this time with audio solutions.

Im using a videomic pro with a deadcat into the Fuji XT3. It sounds pretty good.

I am wondering if there is a 'better' option to give better sound straight out of the bag or is it a case of needing to work in the sound in post software?

I was thinking a sound devices mixpre3 (i only need 2 channels max) coupled with a rode ntg4+ (rechargable battery appeals). 

I would mount both on the dji ronin. Or should i run an ntg into my zoom h1 and then into the camera?

Any advice and direction? I can't find anything on what the pros are using.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ok cheeds re the xlr to 3.5.

I have the bike mic'd up with an Instamic but it sounded horrible on a carbon frame as the sound resonated through the hollow carbon. I can play with the positioning but ideally i would use that as a backup only. I have taped the zoom on the bike before but you need use a lav mic to otherwise it picks up sound all over the place. 

Im trying to sort sound via the camera as a primary source, then i can drag in other sounds if they are any good. I still have to do a lot of on bike mic placement tests to try and get a consistent good result. 

Sound Devices and Rode NTG are *at best* usually just a "good" option, which falls short of being the best option in their situation. 

However camera ops who want to crazily one man band are the exception, as the MixPre3 can be good and compact for their needs

On 3/22/2019 at 2:19 AM, IronFilm said:

Sound Devices and Rode NTG are *at best* usually just a "good" option, which falls short of being the best option in their situation. 

However camera ops who want to crazily one man band are the exception, as the MixPre3 can be good and compact for their needs

it's just me filming as it's a hobby and not my job.

I was thinking maybe an alternative is a wireless lav (sennheiser?) on the rider and have the receiver back through a preamp (SD or Zoom)? Then i can add a second mic on my gimbal (ride videomic pro or ntg) inti a second channel.

im generally no more than 100m or so from the rider although line of sight could be a problem. Alternatively, lav mic into a zoom h1 mounted on the rider.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:13 PM, Flogbox said:

I was thinking maybe an alternative is a wireless lav (sennheiser?) on the rider and have the receiver back through a preamp (SD or Zoom)? Then i can add a second mic on my gimbal (ride videomic pro or ntg) inti a second channel.

Sony UWP-D11 is a better choice than Sennheiser in the sub $1K low budget market
Or wait for the Deity Connect to soon ship

On 3/23/2019 at 11:13 PM, Flogbox said:

im generally no more than 100m or so from the rider although line of sight could be a problem. Alternatively, lav mic into a zoom h1 mounted on the rider.

Tascam DR10L is a far superior bodypack recorder for a very similar price to a Zoom H1 / lav combo