Did I buy a wrong anamorphic lens?

Hiro

Hello,

I've recently purchased a ISCO Ultra Star Cinemascope lens to use it with my sony a7s.

I've seen some videos on youtube where people use this lens with their cameras so I bought this lens without thinking too much.

However, I think I might have bought a wrong lens.

As you can see in the picture, there is this lower part of the lens that I don't see in other videos.

Is there a way to disassemble this part of the lens or have I just bought a wrong lens?

Many thanks in advance

IMG_20190320_153341.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i dont  think you have made a bad buy  its looks like you haven't bought a complete lens. As it looks to me like your missing the another lens that would screw into the back of the ultrastrar and then mount to the projector. As i understand it the rear lens is not required for shooting anamorphic video on an a7. I think the normal procedure is to buy a lens clamp that fits the back of your ultrastar and then mount that to your taking lens or whichever lens you have on the front of your camera. you should probably start with a lens around 85mm in focal length as that shouldn't vignette. not sure what the crop factor is on an a7 so can experiment to see how wide you can go before it vignettes. Good luck.

if you still get stuck post another message

Well, it isn't an entirely wrong lens. It's just a bigger brother of all the Ultra Stars people tend to use.
There is no way to disassemble it, unfortunately.

Like leslie said, the only thing you're missing now is a clamp to attach it to your normal lens and camera.

I had a7iii and used it with anamorphics for a short time, so if you have questions - just ask away.

• 4 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 5:00 AM, heart0less said:

Well, it isn't an entirely wrong lens. It's just a bigger brother of all the Ultra Stars people tend to use.
There is no way to disassemble it, unfortunately.

Like leslie said, the only thing you're missing now is a clamp to attach it to your normal lens and camera.

I had a7iii and used it with anamorphics for a short time, so if you have questions - just ask away.

Would love to see some samples of your work. I'm looking to get into anamorphics with my a7iii. Thanks 

9 hours ago, largomark said:

Would love to see some samples of your work. I'm looking to get into anamorphics with my a7iii. Thanks 

Got rid of my a7iii in April, so I had no chance to use it with anamorphics. 

Thank God, anamorphic adapters are universal and even though I changed my system, I didn't have to change a thing in the anamorphic setup. 

It doesn't really matter what camera you have, you can use almost everything on everything. 

Recently, someone put an anamorphic lens in front of his iPod Nano. And it worked. 

Browse through YouTube or vimeo, see what diy anamorphic videos you like, what features you'd like you to have (be it sharpness wide open, colorful flares, etc) and then take a look at what was used, since a lot of people share details about their setups.

That's it. 

On 3/20/2019 at 6:34 PM, Hiro said:

Hello,

I've recently purchased a ISCO Ultra Star Cinemascope lens to use it with my sony a7s.

I've seen some videos on youtube where people use this lens with their cameras so I bought this lens without thinking too much.

However, I think I might have bought a wrong lens.

As you can see in the picture, there is this lower part of the lens that I don't see in other videos.

Is there a way to disassemble this part of the lens or have I just bought a wrong lens?

Many thanks in advance

IMG_20190320_153341.jpg

I have this ana lens sample.   If only say resolution, it is a top one, but lacks of flare...

ISCO_HD_EF100_1

• 1 year later...

I have the same lens. As this has model has been made for projection, it has a coating to prevent flare. You can buy the adapter which are not cheap, but you can also unscrew the rear threading ring, and replace it with step down ring to connect it straight to your camera lens.  Basic 50mm DSLR lens will wignet a lot with this lens so use 50 mm lens from analog camera. Beware plastic adapters and use a sturdy DSLR rig.