Nikon Z6 / Z7 - Hands-on and discussion topic

BaZa

Hey guys!

I wanted to create a different topic, with some actual hands-on experience from everyone who have a Z camera. More focused in video of course :)

So far, I have some mix-feelings about the Z6 I own. The video quality is great but there's some quirks in the user experience. And in the photo department, I'm not totally convinced.
My photos don't look as sharp as my D600, slow AF (yes, it's slow in not so low light) and I'm not totally amazed by high ISO that everyone talks. I wonder If I have a problem with my sensor or not. Maybe it's just stuff in my head, but on other day I was doing some tests and I saw a lot of stuck pixels with ISO +6400.

Eye-AF looks promising and I'm hoping for it, because I don't trust face detect for wide aperture. But what I really wish is a firmware that address small glitches/quirks in video mode.

Here's what I think they could improve/add in video:

- It takes about 1 second when you stop recording and want to restart recording. I believe they could improve this. XQD are fast enough.

- Why on earth we don't have a metering mode (histogram) with all my others display things? Make it smaller and put it in the right corner. On/off Histogram would be great on "Customize i menu" or any other button.

- Clean display option (like in photos) and  able to see everything from the screen in an external monitor (Settings and all that. Or let us customize that). At least the recording icon and time info.

- It took some time to figure it out. You can't have Zebras and Peaking at the time. I kinda get it, but that's why we need histogram in the main viewmode. It's a little annoying to record in manual mode (the supposed why to film most of the time) and always clicking buttons to see histogram or deactivate/activate peaking so you can see blown highlights. Is not a fluid workflow.

- I believe peaking needs improvement. And a weird thing is, as soon I start recording the peaking improves a little bit. (4K resolution ?)

- Still about peaking. I would love to have it always ON in AF-S/C/F like in Manual. And no need to press AF-On/Shutter to actually see peaking.
Imagine to be on AF-S mode, press shutter to guarantee a fast focus point and then move the focus ring when needed and have peaking. In AF-F mode, it works kinda in the same way. When you move your focus ring it changes to M mode and you see peaking. If this worked the same way in AF-S/C it would be enough for me. I'm not a fan of "stressing" the lens focus motor in AF-F mode.

- Since we have a joystick button, make the the other navigation button to multiple functions (1 or 2 buttons action.). WB, Specific frame size/rate, histogram, zebras, peaking on/off.

- Change focus direction.

Most of this are small things and I believe it could be totally done by firmware and would help a lot when shooting video. Most of them are just UI.

Other wishful things:
- Record 100/120fps in DX mode (with or without crop)

- Record 60/50fps in 4k (with or without crop)

- Record N-log internally. 

But there's a lot of good things about it:
- Body, touch monitor and EVF are really good.
- I'm happy with battery duration. Just wish we could charge it and still use the camera. 
- Photo/Video mode settings are saved separately. This is so, so good. It's fast to change between and still have the correct settings. 
- The video quality is amazing. 4k, 1080p, DX, 100fps. Every mode I pick, I'm sure I will have good quality video.

Sorry for any English mistakes. Share your thoughts and experiences.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs