Z Cam releasing S35 6k 60fps camera this year

Oliver Daniel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Very interesting.

They've delivered cameras before, and upsampling 6K to 8K will be similar to upsampling 3.2K to 4K which has proven to be successful for other manufacturers in the past.

With the recent fall of Cinemartin, there is more pie for people like Zcam.

Yeah, I've been watching those developments closely. Price is a mystery still, but hopefully we'll hear within the next few weeks. I'm very excited, because the two main problems I have with the E2 are the smaller sensor, and the low MP count. I'd like have decently high resolution still images, and close to the native FOV with my vintage FF lenses.

A S35 version with a M43 mount seems to be something they are looking into, though they seem more interested in EF at the moment. So maybe we'll finally have that spiritual successor to the LS300 as far as lenses are concerned.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm not sure how much pie Cinemartin were consuming to be honest.

Space cakes perhaps but not pie.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Haha! Can't believe you considered the Fran-farse as a player! 

What the Z people do is amazing though. I have trust in them!

I don't really know that much about zcam or cinemartin, and I've only watched a few reviews of kinefinity products, and the digital bolex people aren't in it anymore, so I'm hardly an expert, but they all seemed to be in the "RED used to be the plucky up-start taking it to the cinema establishment, but now they are the establishment and cost both arms and both legs, so here's the people that are doing that job now....." camp.  Maybe they were only taking up a piece of the pie from people that weren't actually in the market for a modular cinema camera (like me), but they were on the radar as one of the companies in that segment.

10 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

A S35 version with a M43 mount seems to be something they are looking into, though they seem more interested in EF at the moment. So maybe we'll finally have that spiritual successor to the LS300 as far as lenses are concerned.

Looks like they're seriously looking into MFT now and are going to do a MFT S35 camera!

All thanks to user feedback requesting it :-)

1 hour ago, tweak said:

Crazy how that could be considered unique huh... hahaha.

In a way yes.  Although there's a great phrase that keeps coming to mind "as much as the market can bear".

I know when I've come upon yet another example when Apple or Microsoft or someone else deliberately do something in their interests and against mine sometimes it really gets me agitated and I contemplate switching to a different brand, and the question really is "how much of this sh*t can I bear before I'll be motivated enough to switch companies".  Normally the thought that follows is that it's so much work and so I'll stick with them, and then the next thought is that they are absolute geniuses at knowing just how much we will bear.

There's an entire type of product strategy where you develop a product that does 17 new things and you work out what the minimum number of new features would get people to upgrade, and then you cripple all the other features you could have given the customer and sell that.  Same next year.  You can get half-a-dozen models out of the same hardware just by trickling out the improvements, and sell up to 6 times the number of cameras that you would have sold if you just released the features all at once.

10 minutes ago, kye said:

In a way yes.  Although there's a great phrase that keeps coming to mind "as much as the market can bear".

I know when I've come upon yet another example when Apple or Microsoft or someone else deliberately do something in their interests and against mine sometimes it really gets me agitated and I contemplate switching to a different brand, and the question really is "how much of this sh*t can I bear before I'll be motivated enough to switch companies".  Normally the thought that follows is that it's so much work and so I'll stick with them, and then the next thought is that they are absolute geniuses at knowing just how much we will bear.

There's an entire type of product strategy where you develop a product that does 17 new things and you work out what the minimum number of new features would get people to upgrade, and then you cripple all the other features you could have given the customer and sell that.  Same next year.  You can get half-a-dozen models out of the same hardware just by trickling out the improvements, and sell up to 6 times the number of cameras that you would have sold if you just released the features all at once.

Tell me about it.

6 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

MFT only I believe. 

I hope it has a swappable mount like the Fujifilm affordable zooms, just in case it covers S35 as well?

6 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

Focus direction. Original mockup showed Nikon style. 

I wonder why the mock up is Nikon style

• Super Members
9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I wonder why the mock up is Nikon style

I was tempted to say that its because the prototype is a rehoused Nikon mount lens and my guess was going to be a Tokina as they are a popular brand to re-house and are also much cheaper than Nikkors.

Then I saw the that it was 20-70mm rather than 24-70mm.

I can't actually think of a 20-70mm lens.

I then thought that perhaps it was something like the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 and they were limiting the wide end to 17mm as it is only constant aperture at 20mm onwards but I would say that was too slow to be T3.1.

Very curious.

Maybe it is not a re-housed lens after all.

DZO only make one DSLR lens but they do make a lot of other lens types for industry so it doesn't rule it out being a completely original new design.

The one DSLR lens they do make is no slouch by the way

https://www.dzoptics.com/en/35mm-slr-lens