Yashica ML 2.8 Full Frame

enny

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
54 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

They will cover the frame but why choose such cheap lenses for such a good sensor?

That’s actually the beauty of Yashica ML lenses... for such cheap lenses, they have a rich history. Read up on them to find their inherent connection to Contax Zeiss lenses... some Yashica lenses probably have Zeiss glass in them. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

That’s actually the beauty of Yashica ML lenses... for such cheap lenses, they have a rich history. Read up on them to find their inherent connection to Contax Zeiss lenses... some Yashica lenses probably have Zeiss glass in them. 

I do know about Yashica and it’s (inferior)  relation Ziess - hence my comment about why would anyone want to use them on a 6k sensor?

3 hours ago, Shirozina said:

They will cover the frame but why choose such cheap lenses for such a good sensor?

because money is the problem i guess cameras are mowing to full frame in the near future just looking for good set to buy

What set of primes would you guys recommend under 500 a lens

43 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

I do know about Yashica and it’s (inferior)  relation Ziess - hence my comment about why would anyone want to use them on a 6k sensor?

Inferior is such a strong word. For instance the Yashica ML 50mm 1.7 is an almost identical design as the Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.7 but the Yashica is all metal where the Zeiss has plastic parts. The Yashica ML 50mm 1.4 has 8 aperture blades, the Zeiss only has 6 blades. My $20, brand new, Yashica ML 50mm f/2 is sharper than the 3 different Zeiss 50mm 1.7 lenses I’ve owned.

Hell, the Yashica ML lenses even have a very similar body design.

So, since they were built in the same plant, at the same time, with similar builds and similar designs, some even sharing the same Zeiss glass, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that Yashica ML lenses are more than “cheap ... inferior” lenses.

I will concede that Zeiss lenses are better than the Yashica lenses. There is no disputing that. But as a budgetary option, they’re not bad and often underrated.

With that being said, there are plenty of budget lens options available that hold their own against much more expensive lenses. Just look at @BTM_Pix ‘s latest test, in the lens section, between the Contax Zeiss 85mm 1.4 vs. a much cheaper Samyang 85mm 1.4.

• Super Members
26 minutes ago, mercer said:

Just look at @BTM_Pix ‘s latest test, in the lens section, between the Contax Zeiss 85mm 1.4 vs. a much cheaper Samyang 85mm 1.4.

Don't drag me into it ;)

I'm reading @Shirozina's post "I do know about Yashica and it’s (inferior)  relation Ziess" as saying Zeiss is the inferior relation to the Yashica by the way or have I misunderstood ?

Let me add to @mercer comments - cheap doesn't mean bad, but more likely with vintage lenses, just not wanted or not appreciated.

1 hour ago, enny said:

because money is the problem i guess cameras are mowing to full frame in the near future just looking for good set to buy

Such a subjective & loaded question, especially here!

I've owned such a lot & ended up with a full set of Russain [Zeiss copies] lenses - couldn't be happier. But ironically, I use my Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm zoom lens the most for pics & any filming I might do.

But if I still filmed a lot, I think I would complete my Nikon Ai-S set, as when I look at things I've shot with the 24mm f2.8 or 50mm f1.8 I'm always satisfied - in fact, i'm glad I used them. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive - just good solid lenses that get the job done & more often than not they surprise people.

30 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Don't drag me into it ;)

I'm reading @Shirozina's post "I do know about Yashica and it’s (inferior)  relation Ziess" as saying Zeiss is the inferior relation to the Yashica by the way or have I misunderstood ?

You started it by showing off all of your superior images with inferior lenses.

20 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

But if I still filmed a lot, I think I would complete my Nikon Ai-S set, as when I look at things I've shot with the 24mm f2.8 or 50mm f1.8 I'm always satisfied - in fact, i'm glad I used them. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive - just good solid lenses that get the job done & more often than not they surprise people

I know the feeling and I wish I could settle on one small set. Believe me, I have tried but there are just too many nice lenses out there.

But yes, the smart option really are Nikkor lenses. I recently bought the 35mm 1.4 (one of my favorite lenses of all time) and the 85mm 1.4 for only a little more than @enny ‘s budget for one lens.

16 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Yashica - they are good value lenses but nothing exceptional. Based on what the OP want's from a set of lenses that will work with future 6 and 8k capture needs then exceptional lenses are what are required. 

That’s fair and maybe I was being a little sensitive since I’m in the middle of evaluating, and eliminating, a lot of lenses I’ve collected over the years. I’m discarding dozens of lenses, including Pentax SMC, Takumars, Minoltas, Carl Zeiss Jena, some Nikkors, Olympus, etc... But two lenses which are among the cheapest lenses I’ve ever purchased... the Yashica ML 50mm f/2 and 28mm f/2.8, I’ve decided to keep.

5 hours ago, enny said:

I've been doing lots of research into this recently and I concluded that there is no 'best' set, they all have a certain aesthetic and it depends on what you shoot and what you value.  There are modern lenses which are sharp with lots of contrast and micro-contrast, then there are vintage lenses which can have any combination of less resolution, less contrast, or less micro-contrast depending on the glass and coatings used.

Some links to some of the popular sets:

Russian lenses: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?152436-Russian-Soviet-USSR-Lens-Survival-Guide
Be aware that Russian lenses aren't one company - they were several companies all competing for market share behind the iron curtain.

Contax Zeiss: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92044-Contax-Zeiss-Survival-Guide

Minolta Rokkor: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92246-Minolta-Rokkor-Survival-Guide

Medium format and others (future proof your tiny FF sensor!):
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?139153-Mamiya-Medium-Format-Lens-Survival-Guide
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?160886-Lomo-70mm-format-lenses-other-65mm-70mm-format-lenses

Canon FD lenses have a great reputation.  As do the Rokinon/Samyang, although I'm not sure on budget for those.  Google can probably supply you with more examples.  

Remember that photography is littered with excellent glass that doesn't have enough acronyms after its name to still be fully in demand, but are optically excellent, and fully manual, which is actually better for us instead of worse!  Depending on what you're after, great lenses can still be had for under $10 on ebay if you're willing to wait a bit for the extreme bargains to surface, some lenses were just so popular that even though they're excellent there just isn't enough demand for manual lenses to rally push the price up.  I got a great 135 / 3.5 FF in fully working condition for USD$3.50 plus shipping just because there are a zillion 135mm lenses and the optical formula was simple so they're basically all great.

On Sun Mar 17 2019 at 8:18 PM, enny said:

Are Yashica ml lenses full frame as in full frame that can be used on full frame video cameras like kinemini 6k LF thanks

A small correction, the name of the camera is:

Kinefinity Mavo LF 6K