RED WALKER - Anamorphic Horror - Isco Cinemascope Ultra Star

JensPeder

Hey there!
After hard work, we’ve finally wrapped the production of our new short “RED WALKER”. And, of course, we’re crazy excited to hear some feedback from you guys :)

The film is about 4 min long, featuring a Canadian actress, one from Norway, and another Norwegian with an acting background from New York. We shot it on Canon 7D with an Anamorphic adapter to get that cinematic analog vibe. If there’s any questions concerning the technical/visual aspect of the film, fire away!

Here’s the short:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK2BuwH-4_M

I managed to get my hands on an ISCO-OPTIC Cinemascope Ultra Star Lens (one of the smaller versions), an anamorphic projection lens that i have to say; Its really sharp! And taking in consideration this is the first time we've operated an anamorphic projection lens on a filmset, i'm quite happy with the result!

The ana-lens was mounted on a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, a lens i can't say i'm proud to own. What do you think?

Shot on the Canon 7D, settings all set to flat, then graded in After Effects and cut in Premiere Pro.

We've made a couple of films before, including a sci-fi feature, so have a look if this was interesting:

www.youtube.com/JARANDandJENS

We also have a facebook, if you’d like to get in touch or stay up to date with content:

www.facebook.com/JARANDandJENS

Enjoy, and give us a little heads-up in the comments-section about what you think! We’re constantly looking for improvement, so a little input from you guys only makes good better :)

Looking forward to hear from you,
Jens Peder Hertzberg

Jarand Breian Herdal

-JARANDandJENS

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I love the look.  But not the chase/running section.  Might be best to use a steadicam or something.  I'm impressed you did this with a projection anamorphic lens.  Must have been a bastard setting that thing up.  Keep it going looks good!

Thanks mate! Yeah, im aware of the "out-of-place running sequence", i wish we had more time to shoot that scene :/ but oh well, at least i'm glad you liket it! And yeah, it was a fight to set it up, pull focus and all that, but it worked out fine! :D

JARANDandJENS

Great job man. Love the look. Don't mind the shaky camera. Good acting.

Some things I noticed: The blue flashing lights looks a bit small.. like a LED or something, not really like cop car flashing lights... Bigger lights would have been cool, especially with the anamorphic flares!

The de-squeeze looks a tiny bit off.. I think it's still a bit squeezed? Not much but I have the feeling something is 'off' a bit.

Thank you people! Really appreciate the positive response here!

Great job man. Love the look. Don't mind the shaky camera. Good acting.

Some things I noticed: The blue flashing lights looks a bit small.. like a LED or something, not really like cop car flashing lights... Bigger lights would have been cool, especially with the anamorphic flares!

The de-squeeze looks a tiny bit off.. I think it's still a bit squeezed? Not much but I have the feeling something is 'off' a bit.

I agree, the acting is great! So lucky to work with those guys!:)

When it comes down to the flashlights, the car is in fact a civilian police car that we got our hands on (contacts^^), so the lights are about as close to the real deal as it gets! But you're right, it would look way cooler having a patrole car with huge flashing lights and a big sign that says POLICE. But oh well ;)

I think the de-squeezing looks about right, but i may be wrong... Maybe the lens was slightly tilted during shoot, and thats why it looks off? Anyone else have an opinion on this? :)

Jens

I didnt notice tat I liked everything but the casing seq like people mentioned. Shaky camera has its place but it was just a little overboard on this one. On a budget my way to get around this is by mounting the camera in the back of a hatch back and driving. Worked well on a dino chasing seq we did for fun.

But anyways I like the dark mood and that you showed just enough..the anamorphic looked great as well.

I think the de-squeezing looks about right, but i may be wrong... Maybe the lens was slightly tilted during shoot, and thats why it looks off? Anyone else have an opinion on this? :)

Jens

How did you desqueeze? Did you crop? You have an 3.05:1 ratio now. I suspect you desqueezed 1.7(ish)x from 1920p and used the whole frame?

I think it's still about 10% squeezed. Not a big deal, I tend to notice these things though :P

I didnt notice tat I liked everything but the casing seq like people mentioned. Shaky camera has its place but it was just a little overboard on this one. On a budget my way to get around this is by mounting the camera in the back of a hatch back and driving. Worked well on a dino chasing seq we did for fun.

But anyways I like the dark mood and that you showed just enough..the anamorphic looked great as well.

Well thank you Rob! I appreciate everyting you said, and I will definately look into more affortable ways of shooting stabelized shots on a budget! In fact, our previous movie (Full feature Sci-Fi: EVERYWHEN) we had a running sequence where we mounted the camera inside a car and then followed our actor for quite a while.. Turned out great and not a single shake can be seen!

Good to hear that the anamorphic looked great , especially from you guys! Makes me wanna keep making films in anamorphic, no matter how challenging it may be!

How did you desqueeze? Did you crop? You have an 3.05:1 ratio now. I suspect you desqueezed 1.7(ish)x from 1920p and used the whole frame?

I think it's still about 10% squeezed. Not a big deal, I tend to notice these things though :P

I desqueezed by setting the sequence width to 3278 px, and hight to 1080p. That way i believe i'm taking the most advantage of the anamorphic format (right?).. After Effects is telling me the aspect ratio is 3:04 :) Haha you're probably right, I guess i'm one of thos who desqueeze untill it looks about right, then I'm happy :) But good thing you noticed, I'll take it more seriously the next time! :D

Jens Peder

Wow, I've gotta say; thats one badass rig you got there! How would you say the anamorphic looks on the Black Magic? I don't know much about that camera, but wouldn't be such a bad idea to maybe try it out^^ :)

Jens Peder

Wow, I've gotta say; thats one badass rig you got there! How would you say the anamorphic looks on the Black Magic? I don't know much about that camera, but wouldn't be such a bad idea to maybe try it out^^ :)

Jens Peder

Anamorphic on the Black Magic looks superb !! very clear and sharp!!