The EOSHD 5D Mark III Raw Shooter's Guide - available now!

Andrew Reid

some people will gladly spend more than $19 on Pizza and Beer .....yet complain when Andrew offers them a well written and informative book on one the hottest topics on this forum right now... and potentially the biggest free increase in HD footage quaility for many a years now ... - unreal !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Totally mate.

Perception of value is warped by consumerism, and also a sense of entitlement has built up around our 'rights' as humans. Pay for education? Pay for health care? No, they're human rights.

Nice sentiment but it isn't sustainable.

People would sooner pay £500 for a phone than on a doctor or an education. They are happy to splurge endless amounts of cash on shoes, clothes, pizza, beer whenever it suits them.

Priorities?

Soon society will have to make a choice what kind of world we want to live in.

If we don't want to live in a world where the biggest benefactors of capitalism are fashion chains and credit card companies not a thriving, large creative industry, we must change our perception of value.

If we keep spending all our money on beer and iPhones, sooner or later you or your descendants will be working in factories.

If you spend it on creative content, that industry grows. In that industry people have more fulfilling jobs - illustrators, writers, filmmakers, musicians, artists, journalists, bloggers.

The west will be the manufacturing capital of the world when the Chinese society advances to the middle classes. That's my theory. Better get practicing those 12 hour circuit board assembly shifts.

Hi Andrew,

finally i have set up windows 7 and everything.

I post the link of

A) H264 normal clip

B) Cineform converted

C) single DNG clip opened in Camera Raw

i have tried to increase the dynamic range working on shadow and highlights.

Do you think is so big the difference, maybe the leverage is when color grading ?? 

Should i expect more dinamic range/details/postprocess-ability right?

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s52/sh/70aeae19-b7a4-44d2-8790-4594609687cf/5c7b1f81496a8921a0c702057f5fc8e8

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s52/sh/7b28db21-92d7-4e65-a2cc-0e6957173be5/67cf88a9a778d38be6a1e1028029ad94

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s52/sh/f64c8d0f-be71-4182-8bcb-c15ec423ca29/fd933b106806de1113a22ff1ad958d8d

Hi Andrew, 

I'm about three quarter way through the book now. It's great!

Regarding transferring data between CF & SD in camera - If I bought a 600x 64gb SD would it take long to transfer the data to from the CF, during a shoot?

This would be great for space & costs etc.

Thank you 

• Administrators

Hi Andrew, 

I'm about three quarter way through the book now. It's great!

Regarding transferring data between CF & SD in camera - If I bought a 600x 64gb SD would it take long to transfer the data to from the CF, during a shoot?

This would be great for space & costs etc.

Thank you 

I'd forget the CF to SD transfer and do it via a laptop or netbook on location.

Macbook Air ideal for that.

First you should look to USB 3.0 (2012 Macbook Air or later). USB 2.0 is going to be a 30 minute job. USB 3.0 more like 10 minutes.

Glad you like the book, cheers.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for distilling the available information re 5D3 raw.  Your e-book well worth the addition to my library.

I wonder though if you would care to elaborate somewhat on the paragraph below?  If I install MagicLantern on an SD card is it then possible to record to a CF card in the second slot or must I transfer from SD to CF via FileManager.

"Magic Lantern’s software runs from either an SD card or your main Compact Flash card.
I recommend installing Magic Lantern on a small SD card so you can keep it in the camera. This avoids the need to install Magic Lantern on every one of your raw recording cards."

Kind regards.

• Administrators

Bathurst - please be sure to read all pages. It says in the book you should set the camera to record to the compact flash card if you are running Magic Lantern off the SD slot and it gives detailed instructions on how to do that (in the Canon menus).

Mclein - please give more detailed bug reports. If you don't mention even which software you're using to play or edit the CineForm clip, how can I understand what might be causing the magenta cast?

If you are using Resolve, you won't have a magenta cast. If you're using Quicktime Player or Premiere, in some cases you will get it. In this case use the Sat. Point Clip setting in GoPro CineForm Studio to fix it.

Cheers

Hi andrew,

ok i use RAWANIZER with RAW2GPCF for converting. Than i import the cineform converted files inside FCPX and work on it.

I discovered right now that if i play the cineform file INSIDE windows 7 (i have the software "parallels") with quicktime...

i have no magenta cast.

But inside my mac, where i use FCPX or even the mac version of quicktime i have thee magenta cast..

any problem with codec?

do you work with mac?

Ok i got myself the solution,

based on what i have read on magic lantern here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5479.75

there are command options for RAW2Gpcf

-l90 -- SI-2K curve
-l400 -- Protune 12 stop optimized
-l900 -- Protune 13 stop optimized

while the last option does-t work the first 2 completely remove thee pink or magenta cast in highlight (when i work in my mac's FCPX too)

Problem is a looot of noise in the shadow.. even at 100 iso.

have you experienced such a big noise?

Bathurst - please be sure to read all pages. It says in the book you should set the camera to record to the compact flash card if you are running Magic Lantern off the SD slot and it gives detailed instructions on how to do that (in the Canon menus).

Cheers

Thank you Andrew - having been pointed in the right direction (Canon Menus) I am now up to speed.  I've spent 45 years as a film based cinematographer (feature films & tvc's) and digital is still a little new to me - better get used to it I guess.

Regards.

Reading just the chapter and section titles I want to get a 5Diii, so I have a reason to get the book.  I bet if you did a Scarlet/Epic one, with the same informative form you'd sell a buttload.  You'd have to listed to even more bitching than usual from the disgruntled peanut gallery, but I'd buy it.

Hi Andrew

First of all, thanks so much for writing this great guide which is totally worth the low price.

I have followed your guide step by step and I've tried to shoot on a variety of different settings over the last few days.

I have a few problems that I really don't know how to fix.

First of all ML seems to change framerates randomly. Using RAWMagic to convert the .RAW files to .DNG some of my clips will be listed at 24fps or 25fps (my chosen setting in the Canon menu) and then some will be listed at 29,97... - I have switched between 24fps and 25fps a few times but I have never chosen 30fps from the Canon menu.

My settings are:

1920 ALL-I 25 or 1920 ALL-I 24 in the Canon menu settings

1920 x 818 in the ML menu settings

Write speed needed according to the screen info is 65,5mb/s and I use the KomputerBay 64gb cards 1000x

- Frame skipping seems to be a problem too. Typically there will be frames skipping every 5-10 seconds in some of my clips. 

- Finally, I can't seem to enable audio recording in the ML menu. Is it possible to record audio as well?

Thanks!

Hi

Brand new here - and I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question...

How much of the Mark III guide is applicable to a 5d Mark II user..?

I'm very interested in starting to shoot RAW... but am using a Mark II....

Thanks!

f

The more I read about the magic lantern alpha release, the more I am moments away from installing it on my MK3... Would love to get an opinion on the percentage of risk involved currently in doing this with the alpha version? I have not been able to find anyone online speaking negatively or having a bad experience with the alpha firmware bricking their camera, so please share your advice if possible! 

Thanks! 

i would like to buy it, but am put off for the following reasons:

1. future updates. i remember seeing you say here you wont do updates, then on magic lantern forum saying you will email updates.. will these be made to the pdf itself, and we will therefore recieve revised editions. If this is the case will you wait for several updates, so as to do it at once or just the significant ones? As noted in the magic lantern forums, amidst much of the negative response fron members and developers alike, this will be outdated very soon, hence my concern.

2. There appear to be a couple of concerns within this thread alone, where members had to find their own solutions in the magic lantern forums, hence your catch phrase "never read another endless forum post again!" doesnt hold up.

I do actually want to get this, but as i already have it up and running on my 5d3, id imagine its only for the sake of a few nuggets.. which may or may not be all that useful. If the updates issue was dealt with, id take the risk.

The more I read about the magic lantern alpha release, the more I am moments away from installing it on my MK3... Would love to get an opinion on the percentage of risk involved currently in doing this with the alpha version? I have not been able to find anyone online speaking negatively or having a bad experience with the alpha firmware bricking their camera, so please share your advice if possible! 

Thanks! 

Installing ML was the first thing i did to my new 5DIII and i must admit, it was a bit nerve racking.... But everything went smoothly and i've heard no problems for others, so far.

If you do it, remember to take the CF card out, when installing/updating ML on the SD card.... It rendered my camera useless and i was left sweating until a realised my mistake. Taking the CF card out immediately fixed the issue.

I've spent several days reading through the ML forums and a few other sites but still ended up with questions, mostly on the post end of things so I decided it was time to see what was in the guide. It's helped get me further faster on all levels. Yes you may still have to search for further answers but this guide helped me find them and the answers so much faster. I'm about to do a three day commercial shoot with the Mark III and trying to cram in as much learning as I can between other comittments. This helped bring things together and confirm my impressions and simply cut through a lot of the noise.

Price, let's look at this with a proper perspective. If a friend of mine helps me out, lends me gear whatever, I might buy them lunch. Cost $20. This blog has been one I visit constantly, you may not agree with everything on it but it would be dull if you did ; ). One thing I can't argue with is that Andrew and his posts have kept me informed and inspired. I have personally benefited from the hard work he has done here and generously shared. The post on CF cards got me to avoid Transcend cards and that savings alone is worth it. Support the man, you know it will go straight back into his passion ; ).

I found the sections on mb/s with various ratios a big help in my planning for the upcoming job and the LUT section brought a few things to my attention that I'd missed. 

Thanks Andrew.