The EOSHD 5D Mark III Raw Shooter's Guide - available now!

Andrew Reid

If Andrew's book can get me up and running shooting and processing RAW without having to spend countless hours researching, and I'm sure it will...then I think $20 is definitely reasonable.  I'm buying mine now, and will be happy with the knowledge that I'll be supporting the guy that brings us this fantastic site.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I ordered the guide and it helped me understanding all the specific's, step by step. A big thank you for Andrew and I am going to give Raw shooting a try later.

Rene (The Netherlands)

Andrew, please excuse my curiosity, but why did you delete the previous post which contained some criticism? If he was talking nonsense, you could have easily responded with some facts. Now it feels like he did have a point and you acted like the Russian dictator on that other forum.

Not that I doubt your integrity or honesty and I haven't bought the book, but if it contains a lot of research done by the Magic Lantern team, maybe you could consider donating a small part of the profit to them.

Nonetheless thanks for making our lifes easy with your website and books!

• Administrators

If he was talking nonsense, you could have easily responded with some facts.

No, actually it just prolongs the nonsense. I've stopped responding and started deleting when something is obvious troublemaking and doesn't contribute to the debate. And Jon, I suggest to stay on topic.

The book is 100% my own research, but I'm part of the community so of course it wouldn't be possible without their achievements and yes I do encourage people to donate in the book, but ML are not accepting donations 24/7, only when required for an engineering goal.

• Administrators

I'm being attacked by a minority of idiots suggesting I shouldn't be making money from my OWN WORK!!! I won't lose much sleep over this. It's nonsense.

Furthermore, to suggest anything related to Magic Lantern has to be given away is total crap.

Rarevision should give away RawMagic when it goes gold?

GoPro should give away Go Pro CineForm Studio?

What about pros getting paid for 5D Mark III raw footage? Profiteering off the back of ML's achievements? Really!?

I edit ML footage in Resolve - by that logic oh how disgraceful that Blackmagic are allowed to make a profit off the back of ML! If it wasn't for ML I wouldn't be editing 5D Mark III footage in Resolve!

There's no end to the latitude of some people's stupidity. Get real.

You seem to be getting a bit of flak on various sites which doesn't surprise me, but does concern me.  What's wrong with making money? This whole video/film industry is riddled with the concept of a "free lunch" and "starving artist syndrome". How are people supposed to survive if you're expected to give everything you do away for free? He already does the website for free, and with no advertisements!

I think Suzanne Moore said it best in her article for the Guardian here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/05/digital-economy-work-for-free#start-of-comments

• Administrators

You seem to be getting a bit of flak on various sites which doesn't surprise me, but does concern me.  What's wrong with making money? This whole video/film industry is riddled with the concept of a "free lunch" and "starving artist syndrome". How are people supposed to survive if you're expected to give everything you do away for free? He already does the website for free, and with no advertisements!

I think Suzanne Moore said it best in her article for the Guardian here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/05/digital-economy-work-for-free#start-of-comments

It deeply concerns me as well. Unfortunately there are people in society who not only expect a constant stream of free stuff, they expect it to be of high quality. The two are not mutually compatible. If you don't put money into the creative industries, you won't get quality back out.

I've even had one guy accuse me of profiteering 'off the back of Magic Lantern'. By that logic, anyone who installs Magic Lantern and uses it in their paid filmmaking is profiteering off the back of free work by the ML community. Total nonsense. A book, like a film, is a work of original content and if some idiot thinks that can all be done for free, they will get the creative industry they deserve in the future - one completely devoid of quality people and quality work. And completely unviable as a career if they ever swap from consumer to content producer, i.e. choose to enter the industry they helped kill.

Some people even think $5 is too expensive for software now, because they are used to free iPhone apps and 99 cent blockbusters like Angry Birds. It's ridiculous and not sustainable for anyone but the already big and powerful.

I'm preparing a blog post which will be published next week, which sets out my opinion very clearly on this new culture of doing everything for free which is oh so wonderful and altruistic… Not… Every time someone works for free in order to get that nice client on their blank CV or to get a leg up with their career, they kill the very industry they want to make a living off.

It's a gap in the market... you filled it... Capitalism 101 (and i'm not saying that in a bad way).

I find the magic lantern forum quite hard to keep track of, and i'm not particularly technically minded, so it often gets a bit much for me. The ML devs don't have time to make a well written document and anyone else is free to spend weeks of their life making a free document, if they dislike Andrew's approach, that is all they need to do.

My only advice is that you keep it upto date and relevant.

As an app developer... It is absolutely mind blowing the sense of entitlement that people have for free content.... We have an app that displays video as live wallpaper and the free version (ad run) has 100 HD videos, shot all around the world by myself and my friend on our own $. We still get comments like "I have only given this app a 3 star rating because there are no videos of beaches in Tahiti" ... or "1 star, only 100 videos, what's the point?".

Andrew, I am on your side but your futurist must have advised you that she could see a train wreck about to happen :)

I think we all have to grasp the new wisdom which seems to be invading society at the moment

Heres a few free ones :)

* I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

* Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

* The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

* Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

* If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

* We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

* War does not determine who is right--only who is left.

* Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

* Evening news is where they begin with 'Good Evening,' and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

* To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

* A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

* I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.

* Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says, 'In case of emergency, notify:' I put 'DOCTOR.'

* I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

* Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

* Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.

* A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.

* You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

* Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

* There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.

* I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

* You're never too old to learn something stupid.

* To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

* Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

* Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

* Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

* A diplomat is someone who tells you to go to hell in such a way that you look forward to the trip.

* Hospitality is making your guests feel at home even when you wish they were.

* I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus a slice of lemon, and a shot of tequila.

* When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

* If we are supposed to learn from our mistakes, why do some people have more than one child?

Hi Andrew, hi everybody,

don't know if is the right place for this post but I try:

I bought the 5D Mark III Raw Shooter's Guide and it's very well done (thank you Andrew).

I could solve some of the problems I had before with RAW recording and correct mistakes I made.

I have a question:

When i convert the .RAW files from the Mark III with RAWMagic and then import them in DaVinci Resolve 9 Lite, I have on the top and the left side a "string" of red dots (the remain also when I export a .mov_see attached image).post-32781-0-52606100-1371726141_thumb.p

Is this a problem with RAWMagic, DaVinci, my operating system...?

Thank's for the attention and sorry if my post is not in the right forum (I'm new with this site)

Frensis

Still here...
With the 9.1.4 version i have this error message when I launch a project:

"Yor GPU memory is full.

Try reducing the timeline resolution or the number of correctors."

I'm working with 1920x720 files and I've never seen before this message (with the older version).

Any suggestions?

Thank's