The 3-hour 1-minute Film Challenge

kye

This is the official start (and maybe quick death!) of the......

3 Hour 1 Minute Film Challenge!!!1

The rules:

• You setup, shoot, edit, and upload a film in a single 3-hour period - no gaps, once you start the timer you can't stop it again
  • The final film must be 1 minute or less
  • If your finished film looks too good then others can challenge you about the 3-hour time limit and you must explain yourself to keep your reputation in tact
  • There are no prizes, no timeframes, and no judging
  • Everyone that makes a film and publishes it is a winner, people that don't try are losers, and people that try but fail should learn from their mistakes and just try again
  • There are no more rules

FAQ:

Can I plan things in advance?
Yes.

What limits are there for budget, cast size, crew size, and number of otters making cameos?
None.

Why are you doing this?
Why not?

No, really..  why?
We learn by trying new things, finishing and sharing them.  Too many people obsess over tiny things and never get anything done.  This challenge is designed to combat that.

What advice do you have?

You can be an extra special winner if you: 

• Publish in 720p - equipment shouldn't matter and if your film looks dull in 720 then 4K will not save you
  • Try new things and experiment - think of this as going to the gym for film-makers where you can push yourself to learn and if it fails then who cares (it was only 3 hours right?)
  • Encourage others by being helpful and supportive
  • Have cameos from otters
  • Film a timelapse as a BTS so others can see how you did it - an action camera is a good choice for this*
    (* if you wear it on your person, please remember to turn it off when you visit the bathroom)
  • Invite friends over to help
  • Focus on having fun and enjoying the process (having so much fun you didn't finish the film in time is also a kind of winning)
  • Call your mother (after you've hit upload)

It sounds like fun but I don't know where to start?
Set a timer for 1-hour, plan the video, when the timer runs out, reset it and shoot, when the timer runs out, reset it for 45 minutes and edit, when the timer runs out hit export, then upload.
Then have lunch, put in a fresh battery and SD card, then start the timer again....

I look forward to seeing the first films posted below in about 3 hours time.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Love this idea. I'll give it a crack tomorrow and let my daughter direct. Will also try to get the time-lapse set up too.

Coming up with the story count in the 3 hours?

10 hours ago, kye said:

Can I plan things in advance?
Yes.

:)

14 hours ago, kye said:

This is the official start (and maybe quick death!) of the......

3 Hour 1 Minute Film Challenge!!!1

The rules:

• You setup, shoot, edit, and upload a film in a single 3-hour period - no gaps, once you start the timer you can't stop it again
  • The final film must be 1 minute or less
  • If your finished film looks too good then others can challenge you about the 3-hour time limit and you must explain yourself to keep your reputation in tact
  • There are no prizes, no timeframes, and no judging
  • Everyone that makes a film and publishes it is a winner, people that don't try are losers, and people that try but fail should learn from their mistakes and just try again
  • There are no more rules

Can I post a film that I made it before this challenge but still fit the rules? 

and 

Can I stretch the friendship  and have a 1:18 clip? ?

I'm planning on making a proper go at this today, but totally dependant on a nap - 3 hours might prove a stretch, but we'll see.

Until I can post that though, here's something I made a few weeks ago to test a Resolve workflow. Similarly to @xzobinx, it's spoken word and people watching, although mine is a lot more pretentious. 

Ok, here's my first effort.

Filmed on a iPhone, audio recorded on iPhone headphones supplied with iPhone, editing, voice-over and grading done in Resolve.

I've never done a voice-over before, so a big chunk of my time was spent figuring out how to do it, and then trying to work out how to make Resolve do it, including reading tutorials etc.

I even came up with the idea for it in the three hour window, so that's cool too.

ah crap.  Just realised mine is way longer than 1 minute!

oh well.

38 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Here's my effort, and to help anyone who might be thinking something fishy went on, the first clip I shot was at 10:02 - and I exported the edit at 11:10 ( screen shots attached ) - No animals were hurt in the making of this film, just one carrot.

Nice.  Simple and well executed :)

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

After 2 hours 59 minutes, I couldn't find any otters. So gave up.

Would have been fun and may still have a go, but currently my XT3 is with Fujifilm UK being fixed which is a very legit reason to be a loser.

LOL.

I filmed mine on my phone...  you know, just saying :)

I actually made one before this challenge. The only thing is I don’t have the BTS for it. We filmed this in less than three hours at Youtube Studios in Manhattan and I edited it in about thirty minutes because everything was shot in sequence. Could I share?

3 hours ago, Alt Shoo said:

I actually made one before this challenge. The only thing is I don’t have the BTS for it. We filmed this in less than three hours at Youtube Studios in Manhattan and I edited it in about thirty minutes because everything was shot in sequence. Could I share?

Absolutely..  BTS isn't mandatory :)

Technically it's 1:01 but I'm counting it as a minute. To stay within the time limit I just used a LUT and did some basic corrections. (I screwed up on the outdoor shots, I thought my ND filter was maxed and so I stopped down to f8 and still blew the highlights, but in reality that vari ND filter turns the opposite way and I keep forgetting that.) Anyways enough talk here's the video:

46 minutes ago, wa666ou said:

I'm already planning the shoot in my head. Probably won't be able to grade it - so better shoot in B&W :)

I think there are a few ways to tackle this challenge:

• A bit of planning, a bit of shooting, a bit of editing, a bit of grading (probably popular)
  • A bit of planning, a bit of shooting, a bit of editing, shoot in standard profile and no grading
  • Very little planning, a lot of fast shooting, a lot of editing
  • Lots of planning, much less shooting, much less editing
  • Huge amounts of planning, one shot, no edit

I'm kind of waiting for someone to do the last one....  I did say planning can be done ahead of time, and there's no limit to cast/crew so you could make one of those one-shot pieces nicely for this.  That's the one where the BTS would be really great to see :)