Iscorama 36 with zoom lenses

Paulio

Recently upgraded from a kowa to 36 and interested in hearing peoples experiences using the 36 with zoom lenses. I have heard its not a good idea, but I have some seen some footage of wes anderson/hal ashby

snap zooms being done with the 36 and am curious how.

Currently i shoot with all vintage russian primes and have had no issues asside from setting the taking lens to infinite being a bit dicey. Also the Kowa definitely has an edge on the 36 for close focus. I'd consider rich's close focus mod but am to scared to open the lens up!

Any advice appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not sure what Camera your using Paulio but I've had great results with Panasonic X 35 -100mm f2.8 [being IF] although 'barrel' flares sometimes show up the narrower diameter. My 'Nikon' Iscorama [30mm rear element] is at Vandeimen Films for rehousing so I can't put up anything at the mo...  

The above mentioned Pany 35-100mm works great on a GH3/GH2. It is (nearly) parfokahl, doesn't extend and it is stabilized.

Perfect for run and gun. Probably for some people it lacks "character" as they prefer that raw/vintage look

but if you are looking for something "modern", "contrasty" and convenient/practical it does a good job.

Nice to have the opportunities!

I also just got a 36 and would really like to have the close focus mod done, but am also reluctant to send my 36 halfway across the world and hope to get it back in one piece. Might just get impatient and do it myself. /: but I would be interested to know about Rich's process and availability about these modifications.

Likewise Ryan. I'm in LA too, hopefully we can find someone local.

Rich's instructions do make it sound pretty simple, but Rich has a lot of technical experience tinkering with lenses by the look of it. Easy for him could be a disaster in my hands   :P

It's pretty easy, guys. Rich's instructions in this thread will take you step by stop. I don't have anywhere near the experience that he does but I was able to complete the mod fairly simply. I think that it took me around hour from start to finish.

EDIT: I had both threads open at the same time. This is the thread that I am referring to: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/1711-i-just-modified-my-iscorama-36-for-close-focus/

It's pretty easy, guys. Rich's instructions in this thread will take you step by stop. I don't have anywhere near the experience that he does but I was able to complete the mod fairly simply. I think that it took me around hour from start to finish.

EDIT: I had both threads open at the same time. This is the thread that I am referring to: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/1711-i-just-modified-my-iscorama-36-for-close-focus/

I seem pretty confident in the removal process, seems pretty straight forward.  My Biggest questions lie in the reconstruction of the lens after modification...  Not about how to set focus but really how to properly replace the metal stopper with a new custom one i will have had to produce, and then once installed, rehousing the front plastic ring in a way that it doesn't interfere with my "new" mod..  

I seem pretty confident in the removal process, seems pretty straight forward.  My Biggest questions lie in the reconstruction of the lens after modification...  Not about how to set focus but really how to properly replace the metal stopper with a new custom one i will have had to produce, and then once installed, rehousing the front plastic ring in a way that it doesn't interfere with my "new" mod..  

The stopper on mine was a plastic bump that was easily removed with the dremel. With regard to making a new stopper in a more favorable position, I don't believe that it will work. As I recall, the new stopper would need to stick out past the barrel, getting in the way of the full range of focus. It's best just to leave the barrel without a stopper. It's pretty easy to tell when you've focused too close and you're about to come off the threads (and it's easy to screw back on when you do).