There's No Faking real Flares

Caleb Genheimer

http://vimeo.com/68443110

This is my new graphic, in animated form. I created and animated it in PowerPoint (I've been animating in PowerPoint since elementary school). I then played the animation on my Dell 30" monitor and recorded the monitor with my GH2, Kowa anamorphic, Konica AR 40mm and Tokina diopter all on a tripod. Then I moved the monitor out of the scene and recorded various flares with a flashlight. Brought it all together in Final Cut Pro, set the flares as additive layers, and added some grain overlay effect. I think the outcome is something clean-cut but with a dash of organic mojo that is difficult to achieve with an all-digital animation. There's no faking those real flares!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Dude, POWERPOINT?! That's freaking awesome!

The whole animation is great, and the flares are incredible.

I think the outcome is something clean-cut but with a dash of organic mojo that is difficult to achieve with an all-digital animation.

I definetely agree on that.

Nice one! & I love the approach - we shot studio floor monitors all the time in the good old analogue days [using feedback/Cam defocus]

for fx patch back into analogue Grass Valley & Ampex vision switchers - before DVE's were even heard of  : )

Tasteful, great idea and very good executed! Sidenote: Again a 40mm Konica - it seems to be rather popular and therefor I tried it

myself sometime ago but mine was awful nearly useless. So soft. Also the 50mm Konica was not good although both seemed to be in good shape. Sold them. Just interesting how different lenses from the same manufacturer can be...

Yeah, I'm with you on the old lenses. I love my Konica but I can absolutely tell that it is a the type of lens that would certainly vary a lot from copy to copy. I almost never use it wide open, as at f1.8 it is very soft and hazy. But stopped down one click to f2.8 it is quite useable. Really, I don't have any other lenses that I like using it with at the moment. I have a slew of Tamron SP Adaptall II lenses that I picked up because I was gifted the hard-to-get 17mm, as well as an nFD 28mm, and a 37mm MIR-1B. It just doesn't jive well with the others. 

I'd like to get a set of matched primes or a fast zoom that it plays nice with. I've been eyeing the Tokina ATX 28-80 f2.8, but have not found anyone who has tried it with a Kowa.