Selling FS5 to get a BMPCC4K?

Mike Kozlenko

Just curious if you guys think it would be wise to sell a Sony FS5 (mark I) to get the hot new Blackmagic if cinematic image & color is the primary focus here. I don't mind having to frankenrig up the pocket cam with cage + dummy batteries to get it useable.  The Sony FS5 doesn't have the raw update nor do I have an atomos to take advantage of its more robust recording formats. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, Mike Kozlenko said:

Just curious if you guys think it would be wise to sell a Sony FS5 (mark I) to get the hot new Blackmagic if cinematic image & color is the primary focus here. I don't mind having to frankenrig up the pocket cam with cage + dummy batteries to get it useable.  The Sony FS5 doesn't have the raw update nor do I have an atomos to take advantage of its more robust recording formats. 

These are very different cameras.

What type of shooting do you do and what kind of videos do you make?  Maybe some more info would help point out any weaknesses or things to watch for.

I'd say the FS5 is definitely more convenient to shoot with being that it has internal ND's and low bitrate codec.  If you don't mind rigging though the Pocket 4k is pretty unbeatable. Higher frame rates in 4k, internal RAW and prores. ISO performance is probably on par or better than an FS5. File sizes will be a lot bigger in 4k.

if your happy enough with the fs5 and have invested in rigging it up or other accessories why not get an atomos ?   Not sure of the cost difference between an atomos or a bmp4k is. I have seen on facebook bmp4k groups that more people are receiving their cameras but thats not to say you can just run down to the store to grab one yet. so it looks like bm are ramping things up. Took four months to get mine (actually it probably five months but i just dont want to think about it lol ).  Personally i dont see a lot of sense in jumping ship if your going to lose a lot of money. 

I'm mostly shooting music videos & short narratives with it. I do need to occasionally get event b-roll coverage for an odd-gig here or there but main focus is doing stuff where I can light. I haven't invested in much rigging and accessories for the FS5. That's sorta what I'm bouncing between in my head right now: Rigging out the FS5 like Leslie said, or just jumping ship and getting things to use to frankenrig the blackmagic.   thebrothersthre3 made some great points and I'm leaning towards going BM but figured I'd ask this question here in case anyone might have some intel that I'm missing or has any references to videos on the FS5 that are really great. 

After shooting with an FS7 for years at my work, I just found Sony cameras to be a total PITA. The menu system alone. If you haven't tried a BM camera before you'll be in heaven just from a usability standpoint. They are simple and to the point. Beautifully so. I don't want to spend weeks getting used to a menu system. It keeps me from doing what I'm there to do. I know I'm both exaggerating and dramatic, but not really. 

Thanks IronFilm. I'm a freelance DP & I usually rent a cinema camera for my commercial projects so this camera would be used to just shoot smaller passion projects and the occasional event gig. I'm strongly leaning towards the BMPCC 4k but part of me see's the value in rigging out the FS5 with a Shogun Inferno +  raw update. For me it all comes down to what has the most cinematic image 

12 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Just playing devil's advocate but maybe the compromise play is to get an Ursa Mini Pro to get a bit of both worlds ?

But for smaller passion projects, that camera is a beast. I'd much rather have the Pocket. We have a few Ursas as work and I'll bring in my Pocket for most shoots. The ursa is pretty heavy with a vmount and the screen is so much better on the pocket. Do love internal NDs though.

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, graphicnatured said:

But for smaller passion projects, that camera is a beast. I'd much rather have the Pocket. We have a few Ursas as work and I'll bring in my Pocket for most shoots. The ursa is pretty heavy with a vmount and the screen is so much better on the pocket. Do love internal NDs though.

Yep, its down to what the OP wants to do with it and how often so I'm only throwing it up as the compromise as it seemed to me like the requirement was for an FS5 form factor and features with a more cinematic look (like we can ever define that on here ;) ) and RAW hence the Odyssey.

Which would be the Ursa Mini Pro but then, as you say, everything else gets bigger around it.

The obvious answer is to buy both but I'm very liberal with other people's money.

26 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yep, its down to what the OP wants to do with it and how often so I'm only throwing it up as the compromise as it seemed to me like the requirement was for an FS5 form factor and features with a more cinematic look (like we can ever define that on here ;) ) and RAW hence the Odyssey.

Which would be the Ursa Mini Pro but then, as you say, everything else gets bigger around it.

The obvious answer is to buy both but I'm very liberal with other people's money.

Haha! 

Idk, I think I’d rather have the form factor, battery life and electronic ND of the FS5.

With the Raw update and ProRes Raw, you’d have a tiny beast of cinema camera.

Anyway, I’ll happily pay you the price of the P4K for your FS5, though. 

I don't know how prores RAW works but BRAW is definitely amazing. I was working with the URSA mini 4.6k and I will say it was really nice to have internal ND's on there. Just a flick of the switch and boom correct exposure. My next camera purchase will probably be the Original URSA 4k (global shutter ? ) doesn't have BRAW but there is prores 444.

The variable ND I used on the shoot the other day was a pain in the neck. Fricken thing was either too tight or too loose, poorly designed. Though I am sure there are better ones out there lol.

57 minutes ago, andrgl said:

The Pocket 4K has better IQ but the FS5 has features I need:

• No crop, full coverage S35 or Full Frame with a speedbooster
  • 4K 120fps RAW cdng
  • positive lock EF mount with metabones cine
  • inexpensive SSD media

I was patient and got a used FS5II and a Odyssey 7Q bundle for under USD$3500.

Holy crap, that’s the deal of the year!!!