GH5 Underwater Use

interceptor121

Hi Everyone

I finally managed to get my first short underwater clips with the GH5

And

I am using Cine Like D and the results are pretty good. However those videos are with rich ambient light in other situation I need to go in deeper water and there will be less light

I am wondering if VLOG is a better option. Dynamic range is not the issue there isn't a lot at depth but low noise is. I will be shooting with predominant artificial LED light

Would love some theoritical pro and cons of Vlog vs Cine like D in this circumstances (optimise noise not range(

Thank you

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Cool videos!  Really nice colours and movement.

Not sure about Cine-D vs Vlog but why not just shoot a test and try both modes, lit only by your LED light?  Pulling the footage into NLE should answer most of your questions?

1 hour ago, kye said:

Cool videos!  Really nice colours and movement.

Not sure about Cine-D vs Vlog but why not just shoot a test and try both modes, lit only by your LED light?  Pulling the footage into NLE should answer most of your questions?

Thanks Kye they are shot in 24p if that matters!

So far I do not have the VLOG key I have tried HLG but it does get difficult in edit. I try to prepare as much as possible my settings before hitting the water as I need to get on a trip in order to dive with the camera so I am after some theoretical points that helps maximise the camera. Generally in conditions like those in the video is very bright at the same time I need to keep aperture between f/5.6 an f/11 so this means ISO ranges between 100 and 200. With this settings Cine Like works very nice I do not need anything more.

My issue is what happens when am in the ISO 400-1000 region? Will cinelike D still do well or am I better off trying Log. Which one of those will give me less noise and allow me to shoot with the range of apertures I need? In theory VLOG starting at 400 seems a better candidate but I do not have enough experience as I do not have the VLOG to evaluate. Right now I have not felt the need to shoot in VLOG at all!

So in theory the fact that VLOG clips at 85% should help with low light??

I'd suggest HLG might be the better choice and like @thebrothersthre3 is suggesting, maybe the answer is to work out how to deal with it in post.

I use HLG for everything on my GH5 and it's great.  One thing with it though is that it seems to look better when you convert to 709 with a proper converter instead of trying to do it manually.

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Log tends to be nosier in general. If you are not feeling the need I don't see a reason to upgrade. You get a bit more dynamic range. Though HLG has the same amount of DR as Vlog. What issues do you have grading it?

Thanks for your reply with ambient light I have zero issues with cine like D. I underexpose underwater around -2/3 (camera metering at zero gives rubbish results) then lift exposure and stretch blacks and whites in post increase saturation and works wonder. I white balance in water.

However for deeper dives color are just lost as absorbed in water and there is less light I am just concerned cinelike may not work well at higher ISO but maybe am just worrying unnecessarily!!!

At the end there is not much dynamic range due to environmental conditions so I though I would work in a rec709 format are the colors are not there anyway

Maybe am worrying for nothing and should stick to my guns as it seems to work well

• Super Members
50 minutes ago, interceptor121 said:

Maybe am worrying for nothing

I'd have to say that for someone surrounded by sharks then in terms of worries you've certainly got bigger fish to fry.

Or avoid at all costs in this case !

Lovely footage.

On Fri Mar 15 2019 at 1:58 AM, interceptor121 said:

I am using Cine Like D and the results are pretty good. However those videos are with rich ambient light in other situation I need to go in deeper water and there will be less light

I am wondering if VLOG is a better option. Dynamic range is not the issue there isn't a lot at depth but low noise is. I will be shooting with predominant artificial LED light

Would love some theoritical pro and cons of Vlog vs Cine like D in this circumstances (optimise noise not range)

Could your budget stretch to buying a GH5S?  That is the course I'd take for better low light

And you can even still use the same waterproof case as you've got already for your GH5!