Canon 8K Footage/Camera Reveal

Mako Sports

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

It sounds like you missed a lot actually. Didn't you read the article?

I did, the post was kind of satirical, and in a way I was kind of just poking fun at Canon.

I get that it's a prototype and I get that it's about having some PR and it's about the image not the camera, but RED made an 8K camera in 2016 so it kind of seems that Canon is a little out of step.  Had they announced a new 8K camera then that would have made sense in a marketplace where there are other products already available, but showing footage from a prototype camera would only make sense if it was the first 8K images available, which clearly it's not.

It just seems to me that they are kind of acting like they're the only show in town, which might make sense to people who are heavily invested in that system and aren't paying attention to the wider context, but to those who are looking at the whole field it kind of just looks strange.  Almost like someone who is "faking it to make it" except that Canon had already made it but are slipping and now then talking like this just looks like they're kind of not-self-aware.

I've been really wondering lately.....where exactly is all this 4k/8k high resolution stuff supposed to be consumed?  Seriously there are not many places at all for it.  With mobile taking over everything thing I'm starting to feel we are wasting time chasing higher resolutions.

YouTube (bitrate compressed 4k)
- 70% viewers are mobile
- Mobile only supports 1080
- 4k+ only on desktops(30%)

Vimeo Pro (bitrate compressed 4k)
- Supports 4K through upgraded service option
- 4k only on desktop
- Mobile HD only

Facebook
- 90% of Facebook’s daily active users access it via mobile
- 1080p only on desktop
- Mobile HD only

Instagram
- 100% mobile
- Supports 1080 uploads
- Mobile HD only

Amazon Prime (bitrate compressed 4k)
- 4k for original content only
- Non originals/indies limited to 1080 uploads
- Mobile HD only

Netflix (bitrate compressed 4k)
- 70% viewers on TV
- Supports 4K through upgraded service option
- Very slim chance of getting your content here

Hulu
- Removed 4k content last June

Theatrical
- 2k DCP

Direct Digital File from computer via hdmi connecting (Non bitrate compressed 4k)
- 4K Projector
- 4k/8k TV

Ultra HD blurry disc writer
- N/A for consumer purchase

For me, shooting in 4k is all about archiving. I film a lot of interviews with musicians, actors and directors. You never know what future standards will be, but shooting in better than todays accepted standards can only be better for future distribution.

This also includes home videos with the kids. When they're older, I want to embarrass them in front of their partners in as much detail as I possibly can. Every visit.

3 hours ago, jpfilmz said:

I've been really wondering lately.....where exactly is all this 4k/8k high resolution stuff supposed to be consumed?  Seriously there are not many places at all for it.  With mobile taking over everything thing I'm starting to feel we are wasting time chasing higher resolutions.

Japan. NHK started broadcasting in 8K. They plan on promoting it to the rest of the world during Tokyo 2020 olympics which of course will be the occasion for Japan to showcase their ongoing tech innovation.

Mobile is big; but big sporting events, Hollywood releases etc still have days left on the bigger screen imo.

8K will also allow you to crop for 4K/2K. Biggest bottleneck right now is post computer power and camera storage space.

7 hours ago, jpfilmz said:

YouTube (bitrate compressed 4k)
- 70% viewers are mobile
- Mobile only supports 1080
- 4k+ only on desktops(30%)

YouTube certainly supports 1440p on Android... and maybe 4k, but you need to own one of the 4k Sony phones to test that out. YouTube is limited to 1080p on iOS as Apple does not support the VP9 codec that YouTube uses for video compression of footage with resolutions beyond 1080p.

My dad watches heaps of 4K from free-to-air digital TV.  Most highly produced and legacy content isn't 4K (or even 1080) but all the major sports broadcasts (and some TV studio shows) are 4K.

By upgrading the cameras in large sports complexes and the bigger TV studios they will upgrade a significant percentage of the broadcasts without having to buy that many fancy new cameras because these will be used to film high-ratings content.