JVC launch a 4K camera with Nikon mount which gets almost everything wrong

Andrew Reid

Does it?  I read on this very blog a few days ago that some random guy in Germany had developed a raw-capable video camera all by himself in just six months.  

I'm not saying Nikon can't make a raw capable product. Just pointing out that they are very cautious in regards to the video market.

It's totally a different argument to be made when you're dealing with the immense effort of developing a product with the intention of penetrating a video market that's been dominated by the likes of Canon, Panasonic and Sony. Being a new entrant to any market, there's no guarantee of success with the competition... and the payback period can be uncertain.

While impressive, that random German guy isn't going to be able satisfy a large market demand.. look at Black Magic and their long wait times for their cameras as case in point. You can't forget scale required in the business.. which all requires capital.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Does it?  I read on this very blog a few days ago that some random guy in Germany had developed a raw-capable video camera all by himself in just six months.  

And now try making it 100% stable and consumer friendly for a mass market. That might take some time...

And now try making it 100% stable and consumer friendly for a mass market. That might take some time...

Sure, that still needs to be done.  It takes a bit of work, but that is (relatively) easy.  10 years ago to enter the market you had do what RED did - have someone invest billions in sensor research and high-speed electronics.  Now you can do what Blackmagic has done - assemble the best off-the-shelf components you can find and concentrate on the software, firmware and colour science.  The hard work has already been done - by huge companies who have already invested in similar technologies to sell cameras and processors for smartphones by the millions.

Now you can do what Blackmagic has done - assemble the best off-the-shelf components you can find and concentrate on the software, firmware and colour science.

I don't have anything against Blackmagic.. but I don't think their products are as 'final' and bug free as Canon/Nikon etc. I think the BMCC won't even let you delete clips in the camera? people are waiting for a firmware update for ever.. and I'm sure that's not the only issue.

Not that this is rocket science... but for the big companies it's not like simply 'flipping a switch' either (canon raw video for example).

Anybody remembers another homemade German camera long time before first RED hype was announced? It was called Dragon (I guess) and it has 720p chip and made beautifull 12 bit 4:4:4 videos. Or Greek Drama camera from Otis from DVXuser with same Kodak chip as Ikonoskop?

I'm not saying Nikon can't make a raw capable product. Just pointing out that they are very cautious in regards to the video market.

It's totally a different argument to be made when you're dealing with the immense effort of developing a product with the intention of penetrating a video market that's been dominated by the likes of Canon, Panasonic and Sony. Being a new entrant to any market, there's no guarantee of success with the competition... and the payback period can be uncertain.

While impressive, that random German guy isn't going to be able satisfy a large market demand.. look at Black Magic and their long wait times for their cameras as case in point. You can't forget scale required in the business.. which all requires capital.  

Yes, I think you are spot on with "being a new entrant to any market, there's no guarantee of success". I don't think Nikon will add a video-only product very soon. I think it is far more likely that we see improved video functionality in DSLR's and mirrorless cameras from Nikon. Previously, Nikon's & Canon's camera offerings have been competing in the same segments, having models that roughly compete against each other. I hope Nikon will notice how much hype the 5dmk3 magic lantern raw mod has gotten around the net and take note of that for their upcoming cameras...

I also hope that Nikon has started looking at Panasonic GH2/GH3 series of cameras as well as Blackmagic offerings. Considering the current speeds on SD and CF cards, it shouldn't be all too difficult adding Prores.

What's interesting is that:

1) Nikon is now on the third gen of the 1-series mirrorless cameras,

2) the D800, which was their first serious video camera has been out for over a year, and

3) they recently released the Coolpix A - which is their first mirrorless camera with APS-C sensor.

If they'd be glancing on Panasonic GH3, BMCC & BMC pocket camera, I think they would have done a lot of the R&D needed already to add a new product somewhere near those.

Until that, I'll be happy with my D800 (and perhaps a BM pocket camera).

(And oh yeah - SERIOUS WTF about JVC)

• 1 month later...

Looking at the photo, and the four Allen-Key screws around the lens mount, I wouldn't be suprised if there are other lens mounts available via the JVC-pro-customer-only website.

The name also makes sense if you've worked in broadcast - it follows JVC's naming conventions. I bet the unit will be marketed as the "Q-30", which should be snappy enough for most people.

Iff the mount is exchangable, and iff there is a B-Mount available for it, that sensor size might just make sense too, when used with full sized lenses.

( Checked the price of second hand B-Mount lenses lately? There are plenty of bargains to be had. )

But the QuadHD, Quad SD cards and Quad HDMI, now those are unforgivable!