Camera Recommendations

Rivij2047

Soon enough I will be getting a new camera, mainly for video (keeping my D850 for stills), as my GH5 was just stolen.  The GH5 being relatively new (and now gone), I have previously shot with a GH4 for 3 years and although I liked it a lot, I want to move away from the sensor size and into a APS or full frame (mainly for low light reasons) mainly for low light reasons. 

I live in Colorado and do a lot of outdoor nature shooting, and some paid work as well in the fly fishing and mountain bike industry.

With that said I would prefer a system that is small and compact (long days and miles upon miles of hiking sometimes), has log, and something that is relatively decent with stills.  I want a camera that I am going to get the most features out of, and with that I want to limit the amount of additional gear I’ll have to carry.  Certainly 10 bit is a plus as I have seen a significant advantage to having it, especially with pans and other fast moving subjects.

I’ve narrowed it down to the following cameras: 

GH5 again (although I want to move away from this – but in terms of features probably has the best options)

Fuji XT3 (seems to have the most appealing features short of in body image stabilization

Sony A6500 (probably the most compact)

If anyone has any other recommendations/opinions, I’d certainly like to hear it.  I should mention as a Nikon shooter I tried the Z7 and sent it back.  I had major issues with focusing (both auto and manual), not to mention for the price it seemed to lack features cheaper cameras have. 

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Sony A6500 has more rolling shutter than the GH5 so if your shooting involves moving the camera then I would stay away from the A6500 due to the jello-cam factor as well as the tiny batteries.

If on camera audio is a priority the GH5 (as you probably know) has the stereo XLR adapter with phantom power (that can do 96K/24 bit which sounds great by the way) and you can add a 3rd party batter grip to double the already decent recording time of the GH5. 4

Even more than 2 years after release the best GH5 replacement is... another GH5 :) There's no other camera that ticks all the boxes of the GH5. Some cameras like the XT-3 come close, but they're all missing something: IBIS or 10 bit or flip screen or EVF or good battery life or XLR adapter, etc. It has it all. Just my take.

If you want better low light than the GH5 then there aren't a lot of cameras to choose from.  The GH5S and A7SII are two that come to mind, but you will sacrifice features if you swap to them.

It depends on what features you're willing to lose.  Work out what feature you're willing to lose to get better low light performance and that might help you decide.

Sorry to hear your GH5 got stolen :(

I know P4K is not a hybrid but I am puzzled how you all rule out the Queen outside of such task. Test one for a few days you won't want to look back. Ah BTW grabs from 4K 60p give lovely stills : ) 'cause video, guys, this device is one or two generations ahead, if not more : -)

I owned both the GH5 and XT3 at the same time and sold the GH5 for a second Xt3. I also own a 1DX Mark II for reference, so I am not biased. I have used the Sony extensively and I wouldnt buy it unless it was life or death. 

Get the XT3:

Great video autofocus with native or adapted lenses

Better colors

Better Sensor

Hybrid Shooter - The photography features are top notch

Better codecs especially with the Ninja V 

Great IBIS Lenses

Amazong Internal Preamps 

Better ISO performance 

GH5:

Flipout screen

Battery life

button layout

IBIS - I am a motivated movement shooter, so I do not need IBIS

XLR Add-on

Sony:

If you want to spend extra time in post color grading. 

I am sure I missed a few things. 

1 hour ago, chadandreo said:

I owned both the GH5 and XT3 at the same time and sold the GH5 for a second Xt3. I also own a 1DX Mark II for reference, so I am not biased. I have used the Sony extensively and I wouldnt buy it unless it was life or death. 

Get the XT3:

Great video autofocus with native or adapted lenses

Better colors

Better Sensor

Hybrid Shooter - The photography features are top notch

Better codecs especially with the Ninja V 

Great IBIS Lenses

Amazong Internal Preamps 

Better ISO performance 

GH5:

Flipout screen

Battery life

button layout

IBIS - I am a motivated movement shooter, so I do not need IBIS

XLR Add-on

Sony:

If you want to spend extra time in post color grading. 

I am sure I missed a few things. 

Sony A7iii has the best low light performance, best battery (can't believe I am typing that for a Sony!), is a full frame camera with great crop mode and probably has the best photo AF and very good video AF of all of them.

XT3 does not have "great IBIS lenses" because such thing doesn't exist, and unlike the others, doesn't have InBodyImageStabilization.

I'd not get a A6400 only A6500. The only reason to get one is for auto focus as the A6400 auto focus is amazing.

The choice between X-T3 and GH5 is tough there. I'd say the biggest deciding factor is AF. Do you need or or not. If you do its the X-T3. IBIS on the GH5 is great and for certain applications super useful. 

XT-3 has the best IQ, high speed options, great color, great high iso performance(for APSC). Auto focus isn't far behind Sony, but the A6400 is ahead. I sold my GH5 for the XT3 and do not regret it. I miss IBIS a little, but rarely. If I was more into run and gun work the GH5 IBIS might be more unreplaceable. Being able to just bring the camera and get stable shots enables really quick shooting with no setup process. Although lenses with IS kind of do the same thing. I love using vintage lenses so IBIS is great for that. 

The Fuji XT3 plus 18-55m is a great combo. 

I've used the A7III, its not a bad choice. Throw some vintage lenses on there and its not an expensive setup. Sony zoom lenses are on the heavy bulky side. The IQ out of the Sony is not great, lots of NR artifacts at high ISO's. Though if you aren't a pixel peeper its a really versatile camera. I've heard people getting good results with HLG(less banding) as well as Sony Venice luts. 

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Sony A7iii has the best low light performance, best battery (can't believe I am typing that for a Sony!), is a full frame camera with great crop mode and probably has the best photo AF and very good video AF of all of them.

XT3 does not have "great IBIS lenses" because such thing doesn't exist, and unlike the others, doesn't have InBodyImageStabilization.

I meant OIS.

OIS has worked amazingly on my 18-55mm and 10-24mm. The XT3 auto focus works great in photo and video mode, including eye detection. The main issue is that it bounces from face to face, but that will be fixed in the next update including improved AF. The main thing I miss when I am not using my 1DXII, is object tracking and the canon LCD. 

Sony ergonomics and color kills it for me. The A9 seems to be legit though. 

As the previous person mentioned, I sold my GH5 and the only thing I miss is the ability to record to both slots while shoooting video and the flip-out screen. 

15 hours ago, Rivij2047 said:

Soon enough I will be getting a new camera, mainly for video (keeping my D850 for stills), as my GH5 was just stolen.  The GH5 being relatively new (and now gone), I have previously shot with a GH4 for 3 years and although I liked it a lot, I want to move away from the sensor size and into a APS or full frame (mainly for low light reasons) mainly for low light reasons. 

GH5 again (although I want to move away from this – but in terms of features probably has the best options)

Sounds like you want the Panasonic GH5S

15 hours ago, Rivij2047 said:

If anyone has any other recommendations/opinions, I’d certainly like to hear it.  I should mention as a Nikon shooter I tried the Z7 and sent it back.  I had major issues with focusing (both auto and manual), not to mention for the price it seemed to lack features cheaper cameras have. 

Or the Nikon Z6 sounds also like it might be perfect for you. 
(the Z6 is of course a different camera to the Z7 that you returned!)

16 hours ago, majoraxis said:

If on camera audio is a priority the GH5 (as you probably know) has the stereo XLR adapter with phantom power (that can do 96K/24 bit which sounds great by the way) 

Or just get a Sound Devices MixPre3

16 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Even more than 2 years after release the best GH5 replacement is... another GH5 :) There's no other camera that ticks all the boxes of the GH5. Some cameras like the XT-3 come close, but they're all missing something: IBIS or 10 bit or flip screen or EVF or good battery life or XLR adapter, etc. It has it all. Just my take.

Yup, anybody who purchased a GH5 at launch and is still using it today must be tickled pink about how much value they've got out of it!

15 hours ago, kye said:

If you want better low light than the GH5 then there aren't a lot of cameras to choose from.  

Just get faster lenses for the GH5 and perhaps a few small lights (like the Aputure M9) is my suggestion!

15 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I know P4K is not a hybrid but I am puzzled how you all rule out the Queen outside of such task. Test one for a few days you won't want to look back. Ah BTW grabs from 4K 60p give lovely stills : ) 'cause video, guys, this device is one or two generations ahead, if not more : -)

I was tempted to list it, but it depends on what type of stills you shoot.  For example I doubt it can match the range of shutter speeds as a stills camera.  But you're right that raw frame grabs are nicer than the majority of stills cameras still on sale today.

13 minutes ago, kye said:

I was tempted to list it, but it depends on what type of stills you shoot.  For example I doubt it can match the range of shutter speeds as a stills camera.  But you're right that raw frame grabs are nicer than the majority of stills cameras still on sale today.

Well yeah I often use flashes so the pocket 4K cant be taken serious for photo work.