Isco-Gottigen KA298 - Help Needed!

Fifty

Hi folks!

Long-time lurker / first-time poster. I've recently gotten a rather nifty item (which admittedly has sat on my desk as an ornament / paper weight) which I am hoping the knowledgeable folks here could help me identify. The photos below are of a Isco-Gottigen anamorphic lens model KA298, I've Googled a bit, but haven't really found any good information about this lens or the backup lens it came with (this is the most mysterious part to me, I assume this backup lens is what took the small 35mm image and magnified it for the big screen).

Anyone come across this setup before and able to give me a history lesson on this lens? Truthfully, I love its look and weight and it will most likely sit a paper weight, but I would love to know more about it and if it has any use today. I've tried playing around with it, but given its weight (its crazy heavy) and currently no support system, its difficult to use and get a feel for.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A vid anamorphic clamp and some rail supports will mount this nicely. I don't know much of the history of this lens except that all variations of this lens (Isco Gottingen, Schneider Isco, Iscorama, etc) are all optically and mechanically identical as far as I've seen. They were used by movie theaters on film projectors and cost around $4000 when new.

The anamorphic image you get from this will be very sharp, even wide open. You won't get any flares as it is multi-coated. It's pretty easy to drop a diopter in the front barrel for closer focus.

The only big downside is the size and weight.

these lenses are great super sharp and produce cool blue flares

I've had over 25 of these lenses

you can use them with the Tecnoir 15mm lens support , it supports the full weight of the lens on your 15mm rods and has a locking lens support

ring that hold the lens in its correct horizontal allignment  - you dont need any clamp with this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230995210361?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

The Tecnoir lens support for 15mm rods will work with this Isco and also with Baush and Lomb, Carl Zeiss, Hypergonar Hi Fi , Moller ,Schneider Anamorphic lenses

Wow, thanks guys! I'll go research the Schneider Isco's as I haven't read about those yet.

@silvertonesx24: Any links to a diopter that would work with this? The front element is massive and I can't imagine anything smaller that 105mm covering it.

@andy lee: Thanks for the tip that Tecnoir looks nice. I don't currently own a rail system so this is a very nice excuse to buy one. Any chance you have some footage of something you've shot over the years with 1 of these lenses?

@both: Silly question, please forgive my Anamorphic newbness. The smallest focal range is 17ft (so it says on the lens) with a +0.5 diopter, does that cut that range in half? How do you do the math? I ask cause I see a lot of +1, +2, etc. close up lenses, but most on this forum recommend +0.5.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

@andy lee: Thanks for the tip that Tecnoir looks nice. I don't currently own a rail system so this is a very nice excuse to buy one. Any chance you have some footage of something you've shot over the years with 1 of these lenses?

$T2eC16NHJFoE9nh6nPsGBQvCSG5!%29Q~~60_12

~€5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-Tripod-Mount-Ring-Support-Collar-for-Canon-EF-100mm-F2-8-USM-Macro-Lens-/

10023301.jpg

~€55

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/200903091120?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$T2eC16hHJIkE9qU3l32OBRezPC,RSw~~60_3.JP

~€35

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/151035085743?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This is all you need and it includes rails etc.

Recently bought these parts and it works nice. Can't get it any cheaper than this probably and the quality isn't bad at all.

gallery_20742_64_199823.png

Will post a better picture of this setup soon. Was planning to to open a topic about it...

Wow, thanks guys! I'll go research the Schneider Isco's as I haven't read about those yet.

@silvertonesx24: Any links to a diopter that would work with this? The front element is massive and I can't imagine anything smaller that 105mm covering it.

@both: Silly question, please forgive my Anamorphic newbness. The smallest focal range is 17ft (so it says on the lens) with a +0.5 diopter, does that cut that range in half? How do you do the math? I ask cause I see a lot of +1, +2, etc. close up lenses, but most on this forum recommend +0.5.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Regarding the diopter, I would start with these for cheap. 82mm threads. 86mm might work too.

http://www.amazon.com/82mm-Close-Up-Filter-Diopters-Magnificatoin/dp/B008HSAGXI/

Regarding the math, I honestly have no idea how that works. A +.5 or +.4 diopter is going to be rare though and much more expensive than +1.

With some of my taking lenses I know I've focused sharply just under 10 feet with these. I haven't done any official tests though.

I have the Fotga rod system shown below. In general I like Fotga products, the quality is very good

$T2eC16NHJFoE9nh6nPsGBQvCSG5!%29Q~~60_12

~€5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-Tripod-Mount-Ring-Support-Collar-for-Canon-EF-100mm-F2-8-USM-Macro-Lens-/

10023301.jpg

~€55

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/200903091120?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$T2eC16hHJIkE9qU3l32OBRezPC,RSw~~60_3.JP

~€35

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/151035085743?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This is all you need and it includes rails etc.

Recently bought these parts and it works nice. Can't get it any cheaper than this probably and the quality isn't bad at all.

gallery_20742_64_199823.png

Will post a better picture of this setup soon. Was planning to to open a topic about it...

@Julian, I actually just purchased the Filmcity version like that. I got that one simply because it had a lens support on it already (and it was red :P). I did buy a second tripod collar though as you mentioned. Please do open a thread, I'd like to see what your experience with that system is like. Once I receive mine, I'll gladly add to it.

@tferradans, I have been reading that thread (on my second go as I skimmed through the first time). Maybe I missed it, but was the math or reason as to why you choose +0.5, etc ever covered?

Out of curiosity do any of you guys know the use of the backup lens? Does it have a practical use for dslr owners (if not, no worries, it's weight makes it a fantastic paper weight or book-end).

@tferradans, I have been reading that thread (on my second go as I skimmed through the first time). Maybe I missed it, but was the math or reason as to why you choose +0.5, etc ever covered?

The strength of the diopter (X) fits in the simple math below:

1m/X = maximum focus distance (Y).

Y/2 = minimum focus distance

So, this way, a +0.5 diopter covers the 1-2m focus range, where most anamorphics fall short, and most regular shots are set. :)

No practical use. Paperweight

I'll disagree, but it's not easy to say so. My Isco came with a 100mm fixed focus lens, for projection. The thing about is: flange distance is huge. It means that, to reach infinity focus, the lens must be much farther away from the sensor (this 100mm of mine reaches infinity about 2cm outside the EF mount (~66mm).

So, if you're into free-lensing, or lens whacking, your projector lens might be cool to use. I wouldn't use it with any anamorphics, though, because keeping the whole thing aligned, while loose is nearly impossible. :P

put projection lens in Red Stan Clamp - add a helicoid on the back - add to camera - take superb images - bingo! - easy

Projection lenses are incredable - amazingly sharp at f2 - fully open as they are designed to be used fully open as thay have NO apperture

we are taking sharper than Canon L series glass

I use Schneider lenses alot they are simply stunning lenses

• 2 months later...

Hey JohnBarlow,

Is it not neccessary to "clamp," or at least in some way attach the taking lens directly to the ISCO lens? I can't tell if in your kit image the ISCO is merely infront of the taking lens or if they are attached. I just ordered a cheap KA298 on ebay, as well as the 3 parts you recommended! 

So excited to experiment with anamorphic on my new 6D.

Any input would be highly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Alexi