Fujifilm X T-3 preamp issue

Grégory LEROY

That's been two months I'm trying to use an external preamp with the Fuji X T-3.

Both Saramonics SmartRig+ and SR-PAX2 don't work. Instead, I receive some audio pulse, the sound is like hatched. I don't have this issue with my Nikon, I don't know what to do, I have the last 2.1 firmware update and I set the audio correctly (I've tried many configs).

Pleas tell me what should I do before I throw this camera out of the window.

Thank you.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What type of cable do you use between your Saromonics and your XT3?

There is a difference between line level and microphone level. Micro level is from 1 / 1000V to 1 / 100V against line level about 1V.

Some micro input supports line level input but not always. I don’t know for XT3. In this case you must use an attenuator cable of this type:

https://www.amazon.com/Movo-MV-RC100-Microphone-Attenuator-Cameras/dp/B01GW69IQ2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Attenuator+cable+jack+3.5mm&qid=1552361227&s=gateway&sr=8-3

5 hours ago, Grégory LEROY said:

You need to tell me what your address is so that I may catch the camera when you throw it out the window.

But as BrunoCH said, check whether your Saramonic has Mic Level Output or just Line Level Output.

Can you plug headphones in to the Saramonic output and hear the sound clearly? Then that would be line level (I think).

7 hours ago, BrunoCH said:

What type of cable do you use between your Saromonics and your XT3?

There is a difference between line level and microphone level. Micro level is from 1 / 1000V to 1 / 100V against line level about 1V.

Some micro input supports line level input but not always. I don’t know for XT3. In this case you must use an attenuator cable of this type:

https://www.amazon.com/Movo-MV-RC100-Microphone-Attenuator-Cameras/dp/B01GW69IQ2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Attenuator+cable+jack+3.5mm&qid=1552361227&s=gateway&sr=8-3

For the Saromonics smartrig+ I own, the line out cable is integrated, unfortunately can't use this microphone atenuator you sent.

I did a test yesterday with the SR-PAX2 using the cable provided in the box.

4 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

You need to tell me what your address is so that I may catch the camera when you throw it out the window.

But as BrunoCH said, check whether your Saramonic has Mic Level Output or just Line Level Output.

Can you plug headphones in to the Saramonic output and hear the sound clearly? Then that would be line level (I think).

"check whether your Saramonic has Mic Level Output or just Line Level Output" I really don't know, what I know is the smartrig+ work  fine with my Nikon d5500, and none of the preamp I've tried work with the XT-3. I'm just receiving a pulse signal.

When I plug headphones in the saramonics smartrig+, I constantly heard this pulse, like the microphone is on and off at a regular rythme, so it's not contact failure.

I'm quite sure the issue come from the camera, I've heard other people experiencing this issue with the X-T3.

9 hours ago, Grégory LEROY said:

I'm going to do the test, I have this mic, I just need to buy a second battery, and I'll come back to you.

Ok it doesn't work, I'm still hearing this pulse, I'm going to send back the camera to Fuji. Fuji is not serious when it comes to video recording, I should have invested in a pana

On 3/12/2019 at 2:35 PM, Grégory LEROY said:

Both Saramonics SmartRig+ and SR-PAX2 don't work

Saramonic is known for making low quality junk, have you tried the XT3 with anything which is not Saramonic? 

7 hours ago, Grégory LEROY said:

Ok it doesn't work, I'm still hearing this pulse

Oh you have. 
Maybe try any more thing other than a Rode Micro? (as they're rather low quality too....)

And perhaps if you upload a few clips so we can see what you mean by a "pulse"?

18 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Saramonic is known for making low quality junk, have you tried the XT3 with anything which is not Saramonic? 

Oh you have. 
Maybe try any more thing other than a Rode Micro? (as they're rather low quality too....)

And perhaps if you upload a few clips so we can see what you mean by a "pulse"?

Fujifilm has proposed me to visit them next week, I will let you know. Unfortunately in Poland, I don't see other afordable option than saramonics.

Here is a capture of the weird pulse : 

9 hours ago, BrunoCH said:

You're right. Rode video micro  works fine on my XT3.

It works fine directly in XT3 but not with a preamp. I don't like that much the sound of this shotgun mic but I have no other option unfortunately.

34 minutes ago, Grégory LEROY said:

It works fine directly in XT3 but not with a preamp. 

Then the input in XT3 works fine. It"s an input mic. There is a mic preamp in the XT3 (not good preamp but it's a DSLR). If you plug a preamp in the XT3, you get a chain of 2 preamp. The problem is probably there. 

Can you try this with your saramonic plug in your XT3

In movie setting/audio setting/external mic level adjustment/Manual / -30dB . The pulse is still here ?

And try same thing but adjustment OFF. 

16 minutes ago, BrunoCH said:

Then the input in XT3 works fine. It"s an input mic. There is a mic preamp in the XT3 (not good preamp but it's a DSLR). If you plug a preamp in the XT3, you get a chain of 2 preamp. The problem is probably there. 

Can you try this with your saramonic plug in your XT3

In movie setting/audio setting/external mic level adjustment/Manual / -30dB . The pulse is still here ?

And try same thing but adjustment OFF. 

Yes I did it, I spent a lot of time on this issue,  I've experimented all kind of config, I'm visiting fujifilm next week. 

3 hours ago, Grégory LEROY said:

It works fine directly in XT3 but not with a preamp. I don't like that much the sound of this shotgun mic but I have no other option unfortunately.

Then it sounds like neither the XT3 or Rode mic is faulty but your pre amp!! Which is it? 
And perhaps don't bother using it.... simple, solved!

7 hours ago, Grégory LEROY said:

Fujifilm has proposed me to visit them next week, I will let you know. Unfortunately in Poland, I don't see other afordable option than saramonics.

Here is a capture of the weird pulse : 

i had this with a mic and it was a low battery signal

6 hours ago, Grégory LEROY said:

Yes I did it, I spent a lot of time on this issue,  I've experimented all kind of config, I'm visiting fujifilm next week. 

are you in france greg ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...