Canon on the forefront of action cam development...

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm surprised they even are releasing action cams anymore. 

But people will buy stuff that has the name "Canon" on it. I doubt any of us will see one being used out in the wild, but I feel like these things are probably so cheap to produce that they still make Canon money and ultimately that's what they care about. 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm surprised they even are releasing action cams anymore. 

But people will buy stuff that has the name "Canon" on it. I doubt any of us will see one being used out in the wild, but I feel like these things are probably so cheap to produce that they still make Canon money and ultimately that's what they care about. 

If you take a GoPro and extrapolate from there, these had better be closer to $20 than $99.  It's like Leica or RED making an action camera!

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

When listening to the guy and watching the adds I see nothing that points to it trying to be an action camera in the sense that you guys mean.

Yep, it seems like it’s an activity camera more than an action camera. At the right price, they will sell a boatload of these. I may even buy one.

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yep, it seems like it’s an activity camera more than an action camera. At the right price, they will sell a boatload of these. I may even buy one.

Yup, a toy camera for fun and games. Not everything has to be for dudes in Oakleys :)

I really think Peter Gregg hit the nail on the head in his Canon RP video when he said that the general idea online is that "every camera must be made for ME!". So true when browsing forums.

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

When listening to the guy and watching the adds I see nothing that points to it trying to be an action camera in the sense that you guys mean.

OK, good point.. that makes sense.  Action cameras are really a poor fit for home photography for most people so this is more an alternative to the tough/rugged point-n-shoots.  In that case there's a gap in the lower end of the market for a smartphone camera in a rugged and waterproof case that's not several hundred dollars.  

Of course, if Canon are competing with smartphones, going from 4K60 and 1080p240 to 1080p30 sure is a come-down!!

27 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

The intended customer of this camera doesn't even know what those numbers mean. They probably couldn't care less.

True, although not having 'slow-motion' is something a lot of people understand.  Although you're right that there is a more domestic (less action) market that wouldn't need it.

10 hours ago, mercer said:

It is a Canon. The colors are lovely. Of course you will!! ;)

9 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The intended customer of this camera doesn't even know what those numbers mean. They probably couldn't care less.

I think the intended customers are children.