bmp4k adventures

leslie

I suspect each of us are set in our ways and i think most of the issue, is what we are used too. I think your coming from a television background ?  I don't think either of us is wrong just different aspects of usage i guess. 

My first digital camera was the nikon 950. Which was one of those cameras that could almost have the lens side of things twist 300 degrees of so. Maybe i exaggerate but only a little. It was great for holding above the crowd to get a picture. Then came the canon 60d which had a screen that flips out to the side and rotates. Even my newish Olympus em-10 has a tilting screen but thats all it does.

Since i have hernia and a back thats easy to irritate, tilting or flippy screens are the best inventions,  since sliced bread came along. Its a lot easier to take a photo of a flower down low with a flippy screen than it is to get down on my hands and knees, but maybe thats just me. Could be i'm just lazy as well 🙄

Still i think manufactures could sit down and take a good hard look at how their cameras are used and maybe, just maybe consider who is using them and how they could make that usage easier for everyone.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, most of the cameras I had years ago were either medium format or view cameras and all of them were look though the camera straight on or a waist level view. And you are right my ENG days. So, a lot depends on what you grew up on and used the most, and yes need for the shot or job. Different stokes for different folks as they say.

Have hit a hurdle with the canon 60d power adapter the dummy battery fits inside the camera ok, except the power contacts are to far apart to match up with the interior of the canon

i have a photo to illustrate it. I presume i may have got the wrong dummy battery connector, perhaps it can fit another canon ? any know if any other canon battery have their contacts so far apart ? 

dummy-battery.jpg

er... disregard the above post. it seems the power goes through the middle two slots. changing the power polarity and making sure the battery door is closed solved it. It helps if your wind the power cable round the lugs on the battery which allows the battery door to close.

hmm, got cut off not sure what happened there.

Anyway it may not be immediately obvious, however i have chosen to go with an orange, teal look.

desktabl1.thumb.jpg.096e584476d3d6b43024684d181bef70.jpg

I know its a bold look. Not sure its something everyone will be rushing out to try. However i'm liking it so far.  i'm using a 50 / 50 mix of linseed oil and turps  with a bit of orange oil paint mixed in for a bit of colour. Its had two coats now. 

its a flat look there's not much sheen or gloss to it. I would have liked a bit of a shine. No idea if theres any options to get a shine on it, maybe bees wax perhaps, i'll have to google it. if i cant get a shine i'll just live with how it is. 

Have  to clamp it down  after it dries a bit as theres a lot of rain about and the top is warping. Hopefully i can keep it flat enough till the table base is welded up. 

I have plans of adding a 3/4 frame to the back and sides. That will be stage two, that's where the teal colour should make an appearance. There's some slots and usb flush mount bits to be added and i have seen some other utubes with some desireable features i'd like to  copy / incorporate.  

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update, the glue i used on my modified letus has let go. next thing to do will be clean it up and i'm thinking of throwing it under the mill again shave a bit more depth of the back of it as there's quite a vignette with the anamorphic attached to the gopro 9. 

Its not so bad if i use linear or narrow field of view however its cuts into the photo quite severely on wide or  superwide 

letus-broken-1.thumb.jpg.cda9c30b60c9114904ccfd92c3a0293e.jpg

letus-broken.thumb.jpg.4fc599be3fab359b071f068ab33d9f09.jpg

I  think i'll take a few photos, now and after for posterity.

I do have a canadian maple which has coloured up nicely this autumn. Camera of choice was the iphone 13 pro. Jpg straight from camera with a tiny amount of tweaking. Not bad for a phone.

fall-colour.thumb.jpg.f17ecac19eeaccf63f72311536aec509.jpg

18 hours ago, leslie said:

Bit of an update, the glue i used on my modified letus has let go. next thing to do will be clean it up and i'm thinking of throwing it under the mill again shave a bit more depth of the back of it as there's quite a vignette with the anamorphic attached to the gopro 9. 

Its not so bad if i use linear or narrow field of view however its cuts into the photo quite severely on wide or  superwide 

letus-broken-1.thumb.jpg.cda9c30b60c9114904ccfd92c3a0293e.jpg

letus-broken.thumb.jpg.4fc599be3fab359b071f068ab33d9f09.jpg

I  think i'll take a few photos, now and after for posterity.

I do have a canadian maple which has coloured up nicely this autumn. Camera of choice was the iphone 13 pro. Jpg straight from camera with a tiny amount of tweaking. Not bad for a phone.

fall-colour.thumb.jpg.f17ecac19eeaccf63f72311536aec509.jpg

I've done several international trips where I was filming with the GH5 and my wife was taking photos with her iPhone - often while standing right next to each other, and when I got home and got copies of all her photos I found that the colour that the iPhone had for its still images was very impressive.  Colours looked bright, punchy, giving that clean commercial look where the world looks nicer than it really is.  That's a hard look to do in post, and I tried a few times to grade my GH5 HLG footage to match it, but at the time wasn't able to get that close.  I've learned a lot about colour grading since then (and still have practically an infinite amount more to learn) but I definitely made a note that I should try and match the two.  Apple have done a great job of their image processing, that's for sure.

• 2 months later...

Well it’s been ages since I have posted anything. Found this at the supermarket today while shopping. Very nearly bought it, if it had been a 100 iso I would have.

D52212C9-5D2C-45FF-A02D-BD513050B24B.thumb.jpeg.89178564611f27d9bb8ec8a4a87238e4.jpeg

Had a germ of an idea bouncing around upstairs for awhile now. Have had the magic 2 pro out a couple of times in the last  two weeks. Webrunners post about the iPhone LiDAR and the p4k has me inspired to do something, not entirely sure what yet.