bmp4k adventures

leslie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If canon own the camera cripple hammer title, then Fastway couriers own the courier service that don't deliver title.  I have had  2 lenses come from russia  1 from ukraine  a single focus solution from the united states, 7 or 8 lenses from japan and a drone from china, no problems what so ever. Buy something in australia and i cross my fingers and prey to almighty God above that they dont use fastway couriers. now if it had happened once i could understand you saying, ease up mate its only a parcel. Nay say i, not once, not twice, not even thrice, but almost 6 times,  i have had the  misfortune of dealing with fastway. But we'll get to that 6th shortly.

first time i was lucky that i got it delivered... eventually to the local newsagent who are part of a parcel service. Second time i had a two hour drive up to their depot, thats a four hour round trip. third time after some detective work and some begging i got it delivered to another local parcel service in town.  4th time i bought a neewer camera slider of ebay from Melbourne it made it as far as sydney before getting sent back to melbourne. Nobody gets in touch via email or phone and says hey mate there's an issue here. this isn't rocket science. I did ten years as a truck driver, the phone number is on the side of the parcel or delivery sheet somewhere.  

5th time, i found the same neewer camera slider on amazon and it was $30 cheaper, you little beauty i thought, lets get that one. Guess who they used as a courier 😭, tracking today showed it was being returned to sender. i rang the Toowoomba depot  to check. her exact words they don't service my area, i asked if they could hold it at the depot till i could pick it up, hey, what's a four hour round drive between friends 🙄 no can't do that they dont service my area and she was quite adamant about that.  

6th time or almost 6th time. Bought some drone batteries from phaserfpv.com  yesterday. Big shout out and thank you to the kind soul at phaserfpv.com who actually did some homework and caught the mistake and rang before they sent it to fastway, the drone batteries are now on their way via aus post.  End of rant !!

• 2 months later...

Some time ago noone was asking about long lenses. As it turned out i'd just received a canon fd 500mm mirror lens a few days before. While its its taken some time to find some traction, i finally made some progress with a base for the whole contraption. The chinese fd to mft adapter has a more than tolerable amount of play inbuilt. To remedy that i spent the morning measuring and drilling and  more measuring. Surprisingly  it all fitted together and adds a nice amount of rigidity, No more play.  probably due more to good luck than good management.  😉

i added a bubble level i had lying around as the tripod levels are tiny dam things 🙄 Its a bit oversize yet and i have to add the samsung t5 drive to it yet plus i plan on adding a stepper motor for focusing so its an ongoing project. Its useable now, so looking for interesting subjects to video.

mirror1.jpg

mirror2.jpg

mirror3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing with the mavic 2 pro a bit. Had the gopro 6 attached and did a short test flight while filming from the gopro. I did have a connection issue between radio and drone. I could control the drone but after taking off i could not land it so basically had the drone hovering  600mm of the ground waiting for the battery to go flat. A little after it hit 1% it landed and powered down.  A bit nerve  racking at the time but I have flown it since and its been all right. Added a hard case for travel in the car. Spent some time making sure everything fitted nicely.

20201225_185126.jpg

20201225_171137.jpg

A new addition has joined the family. Mindful of the safety first rule. Got it for the bargain price of $400 new from harvey norman, since their discontinued i guess their trying to get rid of them. Most places seem to be $700 or more. its a mark ii which i am happy about as its the last one that has the remote cable port.

I do like the silver black look, quite retro. down side is its plastic and if i push on it the plastic clicks one one place but then it weighs next to nothing. Which will be a bonus. Its quite tiny. I dont seem to have any trouble with my fingers and button placement given its size. Ordered a cable remote  to fit in with some plans i have. More to come.

olympus-seatbelt.jpg

olympus-takumar.jpg

olympus-canon.jpg

first two photos are the 24mm takumar running through a viltrox speedbooster

the next 2 are the pentax 85mm 1.9 through the viltox as well. the last is a crop of the third which shows some glow and c,a i think, could be the speedbooster contributing not sure at this point more tests to sort it out later. The other option is to close it down a little. 

OLY-24mm-supertakumar.jpg

TD1.jpg

TD2.jpg

TD4.jpg

TD2A.jpg

Some idiot Didn't add a tripod socket to the p4k base. Well it was more of a case of not having a 1/4  tap, remedied that on saterday. Ready to go now. The moon should be up later tonight i hope to shoot some footage with the 500 mirror and the p4k.  

base-and-die.jpg

base-completed.jpg

First test with the p4k and the 500mm mirror. Static shots are the way to go at the moment it seems. Even then it it doesn't take much to jump around. To be expected i guess, Still a new tripod head and or tripod may help remedy that i hope. It was a rainy overcast day which kinda dictated how things developed.  I did discharge a battery, taking footage of the water drops.  those droplets are quite tenacious, they can sit for quite awhile  before dropping. Thirty seconds of some plants in the rain if your bold 

i do have to amend a statement i made earlier. The specs for the  em10 mark ii does indeed say it has magnesium alloy, i guess that just the chassis  as if it were the outer housing i wouldn't be able to press on it and make a clicking noise. 🙄  It is still pretty damn light either way. Looking for a small camera bag to suit as the best camera to use is the one you have with you.

• 3 weeks later...

the moons back so i bolted up the mirror lens to the p4k and took a few shots. I  do think theres a bit of atmospheric turbulence last night, it was kinda windy, confident it wasn't the tripod. I will however tie a brick to the tripod next time, just in case and hopefully with no winds i should get some nicer footage. I'll try the lens with the e-m10mark ii as well just to get some experience on both cameras

another test of the olympus m10 and the p4k bit of a time difference between sessions.  really nice conditions that night the best so far. barely a breeze.  I suspect the best footage i will obtain will be with a full moon and no wind and better tripod. Still im happy with the progress, even if it is incremental.

• 2 weeks later...

well its been some time but i sort off got one project finished.

been back at work on and off for the last 3 weeks been learning to run a waterjet, which has been handy for my own personal projects and i learn faster when its something that involves me. Not sure exactly what the correct term is however i cut a circular slot in a piece of alloy with the water jet and had a local welder make a bracket out of it. Bolted the dof scale i made, on top of it and bolted the whole contraption to a pa speaker mount, results are below. It needs some sanding and a coat of paint but its finished enough to use it. used the  s20 for initial tests,  i am actually a bit surprised at the dof the s20 can obtain  i would have thought it would have been wider  

dof2.jpg

dof1.jpg

dof3.jpg

finally had some action happening at the bird feeder. Its been some time since i built a bird feeder and placed it at the end of the garden. Some locals finally showed some interest this afternoon so i got out the with the bm p4k and the canon 500 mirror lens 

Pretty warm day today with a gentle breeze, i think the mirror lens tends to compress things quite a bit. which isn't that surprising. I got a bit of heat shimmer happening, that may be the mirror lens exaggerating things, i'm not quite sure. i'll have to try it again in the morning see it that makes a difference. the birds had a really bright red feathers, they were quite vibrant, not sure if i have brought that out in my grading but i gave it a try

• 3 weeks later...

Picked the the olympus 12mm f2 on Friday arvo. Took some photos similar to the previous 15mm bodycap lens photos I had taken. The first is the 15mm f8 the second the 12mm f2. Not the same flower of course but it should provide for some comparisons. I had it set up for a time-lapse tonight. However a shower  of rain  prompted a quick recovery. 

20210226_184526.jpg

20210226_184526.jpg

20210228_174915.jpg

20210228_174949.jpg

Some footage from me stalking the sheep, shows my ninja walk isn't very ninjaish, more practice I expect. Next project is under way.

Seen someone here on the forums mount a camera to the pole and I thought that might give some interesting angles.  I think I have pretty much all I need to complete it. I have the L shaped alloy to mount the crane m2 gimbal, as it has two 1/4 tripods sockets one on the side and one on the bottom. That should give me a secure grip on the gimbal. 

20210301_150411.jpg

20210301_150521.jpg

On sunday my brother and i got out to a place called coolmunda dam, about an hour from where i live. A rather large man made impoundment. However at the moment its quite low. Arrived just before sunset, ended up driving the whole way around it looking for a suitable place to shoot some photos and drone video. I used the olympus e-m10 and the 12mm f2 lens. All in all i was quite impressed with the 12 mm. Only problem was the battery wasn't fully charged as i thought, plus i took raw and jpg's which probably didn't help. It was however helpful when i dragged both into resolve and made timelapses out of them. It was quite obvious the differences. 

There's a 3 second sunset video linked below if your bored and got some spare time.  for For an auto lens there's not much aperture flicker not as much as i thought anyway. Sadly the battery died before the sun set with some nice colour. Had to download olympus viewer 3 an then adobe dng converter and then straight into resolve. Might have been able to go straight to dng converter but i wanted the Olympus software and codecs installed anyway. 

• 2 months later...

A story of two tokina's,    Big brother, little brother.

Don't worry too much, it will a short story. The tokina atx pro 28-70mm is a nikon mount the tokina rmc 35-105 is fd mount. I have two viltrox adapters. the one pictured here is nikon type and has no glass. The other is an ef speedbooster. i also have a fotga fd adapter, no glass. With those three adapters i can pretty much mount all the lenses i have accumulated so far.

Been pretty happy with the atx pro, so decided to add the older rmc to the collection as well. Plan on using the rmc for a dolly zoom shot. I figure the slightly wider zoom range would be advantageous in a dolly zoom shot. Have to shoot outside abit more with them. I presume its the same for everyone life gets in the way of the stuff we'd like to do.

more to come later  

bigbrother3.jpg

bigbrother2.jpg