bmp4k adventures

leslie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

If I ever visit you, I'll have to remind myself not to take up any offer of a home made cupcake.

watching utube pretty much every one uses the mini muffin trays to cast lead ingots or alloy ingots. I think the king or random started it, but i ran with the herd anyway ? and it has been quite a learning experience.

It seems like i have an interesting assortment of things that i want to do to tick of my bucket list ?

i have an area set aside about 100 meters from the house for experiments and i'm pretty keen to keep them both separated don't worry about that  

• 2 weeks later...

well another week has passed... went to the funeral of a good friend, someone i had grown up with and and a person i held in high regard, he unlike me, worked in the video industry . the only reason i am sharing this is 

1   its made me reevaluate things. The dreaded bowl cancer got him. My dad had, and survived bowl cancer and is still going. Which has made me  abit more astute when it comes to health concerns. however somethings can creep up on you regardless, so take care of yourselves. Work is good for paying the bills, but you need a hobby i reckon something to entertain you. If you can combine the two ( work and enjoyment) thats awesome but not everyone gets to live the dream  i think.

2 I'm a christian and i do believe better days are coming, not sure when, but its not something i got any input on so i'm not worrying about it. Because of my beliefs it doesn't really bother me much if i don't leave much of a legacy either. In the meantime i want to better utilize the time that i have doing the things that interest me..So sorry for the preamble and with out further ado lets get back into it.

this might tickle someones funny bone but i had had a bit of an issue with dng  files or more to the point seeing thumbnail of dng's in windows 10 file explorer. googling dng in file explorer tells me that i should be able to see dng's natively and in windows photo as well... hmm no thumbnails regardless of what i try,no, nope, nada,  zip.  About an hour spent looking for an answer led me to this page https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2378867 which has a link to the dng codec 2.0 installer. which works flawlessly once you have rebooted,  now i  can see and preview dng's in  file explorer just like jpegs. totally awesome. why it doesn't work as it should is beyond me and it seems like adobe has hidden the answer as well as the first link i tried was broken however more digging lead me to the above link which worked for me. Of course some of you would just just chime in with, if i would just upgrade to braw i wouldn't have this issue and you would be right. But for me if it aint broke dont fix it and sorry to bmd however you sent me the camera like this and at this point i not really interested in upgrading it, maybe in the future maybe not  will see how things progress.

EDIT Upon further exploring (no pun intended ) windows 10 file explorer displays dng stills i have taken on the bmp4k however if i click on a dng from an image sequence or movie i shot with the bmp4k it doesn't display them, Not sure what the difference is between  a still shot on the bmp4k and a movie dng. can anyone enlighten me ?

more experimenting shows that sometimes movies or dng image sequences with show as thumbnails and in preview, however its hit  and miss. the first two folders i click on show as picture thumbnails however nothing after that i click on displays as pictures its really quite bizarre. more googling and experimenting to do it seems. i should add 8 month old i5  core, windows 10, dell laptop, not sure if that helps narrow it down or not, cant see how it makes a difference myself. it is rather peculiar.

waiting for my car to get fixed. Engine decided to play up. So tomorrow i plan shooting some more in the back yard. it is interesting to note that stuff i shot on the same day as i installed the codec displays fine, older stuff not so. rather peculiar if you ask me.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so my tokina 28-70 turned up last week and the vitrox adapter arrived on friday. Spent  some time with both on the bmp4k over the weekend. This viltrox is the most expensive adapter i have bought so far most others have been dumb cheap adapters ( read that as really cheap )  for my pentax m42 lenses. the viltrox fits onto the tokina lens very snugly no play, sadly cant say the same about the fit to the bmp4k there is some rotational play there. I understand that manufactures need to make allowances for tolerances but i think bm could have make things a bit tighter on the mount front. So far thats been my only thing that seems to bug me about the bmp4k and various lenses that i mount to it.

I'm really starting to like the tokina 28-70mm  zoom even with the brief amount of play time. I'm thinking this may quickly become a favorite lens.

The viltox has a tripod socket foot that does that screws up onto the adapter with a thumbscrew. However i'm either a 300 pound weakling or the thumbscrew doesn't screw up as tight as i would like as i get a little bit of  side to side movement when attached to a tripod. i am going to try living with it for awhile but i think i'lll end up getting a local welder  to spot weld it or something. i new it was a smart mount when i bought it but was unsure if it would work on the p4k. The viltrox has something like an aperture ring that goes from f to 8 which is similar to your normal aperture ring except instead of being say f2.6 - f22   it goes f-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 i guess it correlates close enough for a human mind to interpret. With out reading the manual the adapter will change the nikon aperture from the ring on the vitrox adapter but not from the bmp4k.  With the tripod socket foot attached and the tokina on the front, the camera seems balanced enough to sit flat without tipping forwards or backwards but pick it up and its a touch heavier on the lens.

i have included a bunch of dng stills converted to jpegs for your perusal. Probably the next thing on the agenda is a speed booster which is what i will be looking into next, as i'm not really a fan of the 2x crop of the p4k, maybe the viltox one. Apart from the movement from the foot socket i quite like the viltrox adapter. 

I did find some dirt or something inside the tokina lens when i first looked through it,  not attached to the camera when zooming however it doesn't seem to show attached to the camera, maybe i should do some pixel peeping. If i can find a good localish service center i would be tempted to get it cleaned. 

edit: by the way i got the nikon version,  as far as i'm aware only the nikon and the pentax versions have an aperture ring, the others are controlled by the camera feel free to correct me i am wrong.

viltrox1.jpg

viltrox1a.jpg

viltrox2.jpg

viltrox4.jpg

viltrox5.jpg

viltrox6.jpg

tokinacat.jpg

tokinasheep.jpg

tokinasheep1.jpg

What have you got against Frankenstein? Actually I have hit a bit of a snag with my anamorphic setup. Since I made a solid connection between the taking lens and anamorphic, once I try to focus the taking lens wants to either extend or contract, the anamorphic being solidly rail mounted has real issues moving, hence I have a dilemma. I do have an idea to mount the anamorphic on a pair of linear rails like what you find on a  3d printer of which I do have a spare pair sitting around doing nothing however I wonder whether I should just save up and buy a front mounted single focus solution and be done with it. 

@leslie

What adapter is that? The EF-M1?

Have you not tried any more modern lens to check how the electronics work between the lens and the camera?

You bought the adapter for just this one lens? Don't you have other lenses on different mounts?

The 2X crop is not an issue, per se, when you use native lenses. I will be ordering the 12-100mm 4f Olympus which is a great all arounder going 24-200mm with great manual focus mechanism and amazing build quality.

Sorry from brining it up again, but I hate bowl cancer. I hate it down to my stomach.

The adapter I bought is a viltrox nikon to m4/3. When I say expensive (read that as about $40 ) the other adapters have been half that or less. My lens collection consists of a few Fd lenses from the days of my film photography and a whole bunch of Pentax m42 lenses I bought and adapted for use on my canon 60d plus the Nikon 28-70mm I just got.

I don't have any modern lenses apart from the 18-55 kit lens that came with the 60d. A few native lenses for the bmp4k would be awesome no doubt however they tend to be more expensive or pricier than I can afford when I look at such things. Maybe I'm  just bad at budgeting lol.

My approach to buying lenses may not have been well structured. It kinda took a left turn after getting the p4k with its 2x crop factor which makes nearly all my lenses, telephoto lenses barring the 24mm i have. It is what it is. I'm  thinking I'll  get a speedbooster next, that will gain me back a little ground so to speak. After that I'll  look at some native lenses or a single focus solution for my anamorphic lens. Actually I'll  probably go with getting a single focus solution 

17 hours ago, leslie said:

What have you got against Frankenstein?

Nothing, but as a hand-held shooter and as a wanna-be minimalist I do appreciate a light/compact/simple setup, and the Viltrox is much more in that direction!

4 hours ago, leslie said:

The adapter I bought is a viltrox nikon to m4/3. When I say expensive (read that as about $40 ) the other adapters have been half that or less. My lens collection consists of a few Fd lenses from the days of my film photography and a whole bunch of Pentax m42 lenses I bought and adapted for use on my canon 60d plus the Nikon 28-70mm I just got.

I don't have any modern lenses apart from the 18-55 kit lens that came with the 60d. A few native lenses for the bmp4k would be awesome no doubt however they tend to be more expensive or pricier than I can afford when I look at such things. Maybe I'm  just bad at budgeting lol.

My approach to buying lenses may not have been well structured. It kinda took a left turn after getting the p4k with its 2x crop factor which makes nearly all my lenses, telephoto lenses barring the 24mm i have. It is what it is. I'm  thinking I'll  get a speedbooster next, that will gain me back a little ground so to speak. After that I'll  look at some native lenses or a single focus solution for my anamorphic lens. Actually I'll  probably go with getting a single focus solution 

My most recent lens purchase was an FD lens and it's very nice, plus I have a bunch of manual m42 lenses which are awesome too.  If you're willing to go manual there is a huge backlog of gems just waiting to be resurrected and to create magic again :)

• 4 weeks later...

works been a bit slow which has constrained my purchases of late. I have bought a few cheaper items like some uv filters and a cheap hood for the tokina 28-70 some smaller step up rings for a project i have in mind but more about them once they turn up. i did get a hoya digital filter for the tokina. The interesting thing about that was i found a lens rental review on 21 different protective filters from 2017, some being uv, i guess most of you would have seen it however it was new to me. there's a link to it here  for those that want to peruse it.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/06/the-comprehensive-ranking-of-the-major-uv-filters-on-the-market/

ots. i probably need some time with full sun to compare filter verse non filter. Its spring in a couple of days here and the first flowers on the stonefruit are out.

hood.jpg

hood1.jpg

stonefruit1.jpg

uv-filter.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

made some time today for the p4k tripod base i have working towards. Had some 3mm brass rod turn up in the mail. It seems the holes in the bottom of the p4k  are a little bigger than the 3mm i thought they were, maybe 3.2. there was a little wiggle room, which was what i was trying to avoid in the first place. by happenstance hitting a center punch to expand the base of the brass rod in the bottom of the alloy plate to get a nice tight fit, flattened the top of the brass rod for a snug fit into the p4k holes. I didn't even need to file anything down either. I'm nearly as handy with a hammer as thor ? I have yet to countersink a hole for the tripod bolt to sit flush maybe tomorrow. then i have to recess the alloy plate into the plastic base i have made earlier

p4kbase2.jpg

p4kbase.jpg

p4kbase1.jpg

p4kbase3.jpg

I will now horrify some of you with a five letter word. That word is  Gopro, if your offended you should look away now.

A little while ago i bought the rage cam battery eliminator for the gopro4. I have had it a couple of weeks now, been considering it, the idea is good, however the implementation of that idea is a bit ordinary. Rage cam solution to eliminating a battery is to supply you with an extra deep plastic back, that snaps on in place of the old back door. i have no issues with that.  The issue is the cabling they supply, no matter how you wind it, fold it or arrange it. It doesn't sit flat or fold away inside that extra wide plastic back very neatly at all. Honestly i cant see how those connections are going to last any significant amount of time before they fail with the strain placed upon them. Some of the blame probably resides with gopro themselves that connection is too close to the edge as soon as you put in in a housing the plug won't fit, not without breaking out the dremel any way, which is what i have been doing this afternoon.

My intention is to have two housings, one water resistant the other a simple alloy frame. the standard plastic housing with the modified back will be used out doors when getting it wet would be a concern. the alloy housing for when i'm not so worried about water and maybe heat might be a concern.

the standard housing usually has the letus anamorphic mounted to it, i took it off this afternoon to investigate how i might easily mount it to the alloy housing. Heres a bunch of photos so you can see what i'm up too. I have started removing material away from the edge of the alloy frame however i need to proceed slowly as i'm going to have about 1mm left i think on the back piece that slides into the frame.   

goprorage.jpg

goprorage1.jpg

goprorage2.jpg

goprorage3.jpg

goprorage4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

still on a slight detour, i'm pleased to say, it lives. final pieces purchased and connected up. This is one project nearly completed apart from cutting a slot in the housing for the connector to slide through as i'm unimpressed with the stresses placed upon the cable as you weave it through the housing as intended. you might notice a slight vignette from the letus anamorphic on the super wide setting. Have to look into that some more, earlier playing with defishing and stretching didn't seem so obvious. the battery is greatly increased i think. no test yet but i imagine a timelapse will last a good long time.

goprorage14.jpg

goprorage13.jpg

goproRage11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

some of you are no doubt aware that there's a bit of a drought going on in australia at the moment. I have access to a well on a bush water reserve across the road from my place. This place is normally abit of a swamp but at the moment the water level is down about 18 feet. At the moment i pump about 500 liters  out of it every few days for stock and domestic. Not sure how the other locals are faring with the water situation i moved an old bath next to the pump and top it up every time i pump water.  the plan is to hammer a few star pickets in and hang the gopro of them and timelapse it all, see what turns up for a drink.

well1.jpg

well2.jpg

More digressing,  i know @Tito Ferradans has been doing something with faking the anamorphic look. Maybe he's posted something by now not sure. In the interests of sharing the anamorphic burden i had made a frame and had a machinist add some grubs screws to mount it onto my letus anamorphic. I have been wondering if perhaps i could add or change the flares somehow.  Lots of testing in front of me just need to find a fishing buddy that has lots of different fishing lines. i will probably have to paint the frame black but the first test will to see how the frame reacts unpainted

goproanamorphic.jpg

been in a bit of a hacking or modifying stage lately. bought a 28-32mm step up ring and some double sided tape cut out a inner and outer diameter that matched the ring and mounted it to the 15mm olympus body cap lens i have, i also bought a 32-37mm step up ring as that seems to be the most common filter sizes to get hold of. I wanted a small adapter on the face of the camera so i could easily move the lens cover lever. When it rains again i want to be able to hang some nd of it and video some waterfalls in the area  or uv perhaps. the double sided tape seems quite robust it shouldn't move anytime soon.

the first helicoid for the  russian lens i bought has arrived. turns out that i had a short adapter that fitted the m39 to mft mount and solved my issues. however the enlarger lenses i have tried on the helicoid don't focus to infinity. It was kind of expected as i have read online that there is issues with getting anything shorter than 70mm to focus at infinity. Apparently custom short mounts are required. the last pic is of the el nikor 63mm enlarger lens mounted on a 60d, i can focus out to about 3-4 meters. But i want more so the quest will continue.

bc1.jpg

bc2.jpg

elnik.jpg