bmp4k adventures

leslie

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

It's a 100 dollar lens for Christ Sakes. Saw off the back of it and be happy. Nobody is going to use it in a Enlarger again.

might have been a $100 us. However the aussie dollar did an impressive swan dive before i bought it (actually i dont even think the dollar has made back to the surface yet ) so it cost me alot more than that. Original stuff is always worth more i think, be it cars or camera bits.  At this point i'm keeping it pristine :) . 

Been out with the p4k and the Olympus 15mm body cap lens to a local lookout and i quite like it. Maybe that's because a : i don't know any better or b : don't have anything better or c : all of the above ? .

has anyone bought a helicoid and inserted either a projector lens or enlarger lens inside it and how did it turn out ? i got to thinking about a helicoid after tuning the el nikor with the m42 extension tube.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
52 minutes ago, leslie said:

Been out with the p4k and the Olympus 15mm body cap lens to a local lookout and i quite like it. Maybe that's because a : i don't know any better or b : don't have anything better or c : all of the above ? .

Sounds like you are a prime candidate for a Diana Camera lol. Probably Andrew and Mercer both have one knowing them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_(camera)

13 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Sounds like you are a prime candidate for a Diana Camera lol. Probably Andrew and Mercer both have one knowing them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_(camera)

i'll take one if i can get it in ef mount and 4k ?

i was thinking of the lomography  with the 3 kit lenses would be awesome, but if andrew and mercer  can have a dianna, i'd be joining an elite group right ?

bit of a detour now. When it cools down abit i plan on doing a camping trip, way out west,  no mains power. So i have started preparations on  a battery bank. This little beastie aught to keep me out of trouble for a few days. At the moment i have an switch and usb dual outlet socket. Need to get a dual battery charger set up in the car so the battery can charge while i drive. Then i can power or charge everything from there i hope. Also i plan on getting a set of  bm cables to integrate as well. and anything else i can think of.

battery1.jpg

battery2.jpg

Did a bit of redesign this week, got two pieces cut on the waterjet for testing purposes. I changed the design of the ssd holder it now sits beneath the smallrig 15mm rails surprisingly  my measurements were rather accurate and all i had  to do was a little sanding to made things slide together. if i had to do it again i'd made things 0 .1 mm bigger for some wiggle room. The alloy clamp required the most time, broke out the dremel for that. The alloy holder clamp is a bit tall at the moment, i made it that way as i was guessing abit at the time. The last two pics are a bit of a mock up at the moment. i actually have the original clamp holder on the back at the moment. Not sure if i will get that machined to hold a step down ring or do something different. I am however happy that more progress has been made.

clamp1.jpg

clamp2.jpg

clamp3.jpg

clamp4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No internet at home at the moment. Which kinda sucks. Have had another enlarger lens from russia turn up. It is a m42 mount 50mm 2.8 and has 12 blades in the aperture i believe. Hope to give it a workout shortly and post some pics. Also learnt how to melt lead with just some twigs and leaves and a piece of pipe for a draft. plan on doing a vid and making a utube channel  for fame and fortune ? Due to a safety scare won't be doing much more of that till i get some protective gear ? hit a speed bump with the clamp for the anamorphic lens. getting late here think i'll get some shuteye. Night all.

did some ringing around, then drove to the other side of town. found a place to machine me an adapter from the elmoscope to a standard filter thread. The elmoscope is  50mm  on the rear thread, it seems the pitch is .75 as far as we have been able to ascertain at the moment. if dimensions change i'll post them for posterity later . Most popular thread sizes for cameras seem to be 49mm  or 52mm then 55mm which makes the 50mm of the elmoscope a bit of an oddball . I  think i may have to incorporate some kind of sleeve arrangement in the adapter, as if i can thread an adapter onto the back of the elmoscope i can pretty much guarantee the anamorphics in the scope wont align correctly.  I will give it some thought over the next few days and proceed ahead next week. Its kinda exciting to being  so close to being an anamorphic videographer?

ok work has commenced on the anamorphic lens clamp adapter should be able to pick it up next friday so i should be shooting anamorphic next weekend. I did  shoot some footage today holding the elmoscope inn front of the lens. Shot hand held, as you can imagine footage like that isn't going to win any awards. it was interesting however and upon viewing i had something of a round blur or distortion happening in the lower right corner  consistently as i panned. need to figure out if its the lens, elmoscope or some kinda flare.  i checked both lenses and the bmp4k and everything looks clean. will try some other lenses and try to narrow it down. Still no internet at home which is getting annoying as i can only get the  internet if i take the laptop into town.

7 hours ago, leslie said:

Still no internet at home which is getting annoying as i can only get the  internet if i take the laptop into town.

Gives you an excuse to sit around and drink coffee like everyone seems to do in lifestyle advertisements!!

well i am sitting down but the only coffee worth drinking is this stuff ?

ordered a cheap set of neutral density and  graduated filters to play with, the aussie sun needs some calming down so to speak . Once i figure out what i tend to use most often I'll spring for something more pricey.

Can anyone comment on best practices for videoing a sunset ?

I have also created a youtube channel in anticipation. it should be a pretty laid back affair nothing too serious using the bmp4k and the elmoscope. i'm no casey neistat but i'm hoping the anamorphic angle gives it a bit of difference.

been looking at the filter sizes on my pentax m42 lenses trying to figure out a common size for the m42 to elmoscope adapter. at the moment i'm getting some grub screws/bolts machined into the old mount the will attach to the piece of alloy i got  cut on the waterjet that will support and secure the elmoscope to the smallrig. the machinist reckons theres no problem cutting the fine threads that the lenses use. i do think i need some kinda short barrel with a sleeve in it to alloy the elmoscope optics to align properly once it is screwed together. I hope to have it back by next friday, i can take some pics. I should also be able to wrap a bit of tape around them both and do a bit of shooting anamorphically. till i figure out a thread size for the adapter.

WIN_20190518_14_08_13_Pro.jpg

On 5/18/2019 at 1:24 PM, leslie said:

well i am sitting down but the only coffee worth drinking is this stuff ?

ordered a cheap set of neutral density and  graduated filters to play with, the aussie sun needs some calming down so to speak . Once i figure out what i tend to use most often I'll spring for something more pricey.

Can anyone comment on best practices for videoing a sunset ?

I have also created a youtube channel in anticipation. it should be a pretty laid back affair nothing too serious using the bmp4k and the elmoscope. i'm no casey neistat but i'm hoping the anamorphic angle gives it a bit of difference.

Good stuff - I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I shoot sunsets quite often, mostly time-lapse but not always, here's a random few:

What are you thinking of shooting?  Timelapses have their own challenges separately to normal speed video.

Some general thoughts are that unless it's very cloudy the DR will be more than your camera, so you'll have to choose between blowing out the sun (and maybe the sky around it) or darkening the shadows a huge amount.  The answer to this is to think about what the subject of the shot is and expose for that.  In my case the subject is normally the sunset itself, so I just expose for that, letting the sun blow out but not the sky around it, and then it is what it is and grade appropriately.

[Edit: the best approach is to just do it every day, or whenever there are clouds in the sky but not on the horizon, and then just do it over and over again, until there are no more mistakes to make and you start getting what you want :) ]

and I totally understand about the Aussie sun - it's pretty harsh.  On my travels I'm regularly surprised at how much less DR people in other countries require!

some lovely colours at the end of that first video !

i do like timelapses, shot a few with the canon 60d using ml with the intervalometer function, not tried ramping with it yet. done some with the gopro 4. The  gopro 6 can make timelapses on the go, but i find the output to have sparkly bits or something similar to marching ants at times. so i prefer to take a series of photos instead and create the timelapses with virtualdub as that was the first program i used and it was free and i'm used  to it . could probably use resolve now that i got a copy with the p4k. Will have to look into it. Bought the letus anamorphic adapter for the gopro 4 awhile ago. the company had like 6 left in stock not sure if they will make any more. but i'm glad i got one. For an experiment shot some footage of the cat earlier today. yet to have a look at it been busy. went to town a few days ago dl some resolve youtube tutorials, now know how to de-squeeze anamorphic footage in reolve. Got four days work this week if i get a chance i'm going to make myself a new granite benchtop for my desk at home.  i'll offer my boss some $$ for some stone, if he aint around too much i'll do a time lapse of it all. I think it would interest a few people to see some big machines running.

Thanks!  I've shot a ton of sunsets, most aren't amazing, so it's just a numbers game.  I think the first video was with the GH5, the second was the GoPro (waterproof!), and the third was probably my iPhone 8.

You're right about shooting images and processing in post as you get much better quality.  Resolve is great for timelapses too because it treats image sequences as a single clip so it appears in the Media Pool as a single clip, drag onto the timeline, edit, grade, export as a single clip.  No messing around with special software.  It's because some cameras shoot RAW as image sequences, so they include it natively and it's seamless.

I'm quite fond of making timelapses with the GoPro because you just position it, hit record, then do whatever and basically forget about it.  I just ordered an Sony X3000 replacement for my GoPro so will have to work out how that one works.

ok i know your all been waiting with bated breath. Picked up the anamorphic mount this morning the first couple of pics
show the old projector mount. I had the old positioning arm machined off and one additional 3mm grub screw machined into the
bottom of the mount and three bolts machined through the anamorphic lens leg holder into the old mount. The bolt pattern was offset
about 30 degrees to stop bolts from hitting the grub screws. the first time i fitted it together the anamorphic and bmp4k, i had a
real issue with alignment. The bmp4k was not parallel to the smallrig. It was leaning backwoods quite noticeably. I then tried the
canon 60d and it was closer to parallel. I then pulled it all apart upon inspection the cheap quick release tripod rocks a little
when placed on a table top so that might be my problem. I did turn the tripod release around and now its alot closer to parallel
close enough for me to play with anyway. there's also an issue with the bmp4k spinning a little on the quick release, i put it down
to the small contact suface of the quick release and the bmp4k base plate has a recessed area with a high ridges around the edge.
  Its not a major issue, so far its kinda my only gripe with the camera and as gripes go in the overall scheme of things its a pretty small one
The bmp4k has one small hole each side of the socket. i'm willing to bet good money that any accessory that bm brings out has prongs
on it that slot into those holes next to the tripod socket and prevent any slippage. Because i plan on shooting anamorphic, once i get a threaded
connection between the anamorphic and the taking lens, i think the camera twisting issue will go away. i did get a couple of quick backyard shots
late in the day. First thing i notice with the canon connected to the anamorphic was that i get the confirm beep and focus mark regardless of
whether its actually focused or not, which i found rather intriguing. I guess its the anamorphic optics confusing the camera somehow. I also
had the el nikor 63mm enlarger lens and bmp4k connected briefly and i could get focus peaking on some clouds and trees in the distance but it was
getting late by then. the el nikor 63mm doesn't vignette on the bmp4k. The standard 18-55mm canon kit lens vignettes from bad at the wide end and
a litle  bit when zoomed in. I'll get some photos next week as  i have just about run out of weekend. not sure if i saved the cat and yard pictures correctly

photoshop displays them correctly but i think i need to crop them maybe will have to investigate more

elmo2.gif

ana1.gif

ana2.gif

ana3.jpg

ana4.gif

anasocket.jpg

anacat.jpg

anapotplant.jpg

hmm those last two pics do look odd, i guess i have some homework,  looks like photoshop displays them ok but it doesn't save them in that format.

8 hours ago, leslie said:

hmm those last two pics do look odd, i guess i have some homework,  looks like photoshop displays them ok but it doesn't save them in that format.

Can you just pull them into PS and rescale them manually, stretching it by the right ratio?

yes gonna try that shortly just didn't have the originals with me when i posted the last comment. i hope to get some footage to upload shortly been planning to do it for awhile but there's been some hiccups, and working away from home tends to defeat any sort of planning i do. on the bright side i have got all the letters for my logo on the  youtube channel cut on the waterjet. so that aught to add an extra element. Probably could do something in resolve  but i thought i'd go oldschool

i'm excited its rained not heavy rain, but rain none the less. Which is wonderful seeing as most of western queensland is drought declared. So been undercover doing a few things. Heres a sneek peek of my youtube logo, got  alot of sanding and polishing to do but you get the idea and remember you saw it here first  ?. Those letters are 200mm high i did them big as a few of the smaller prototypes broke so i gave them some size to give em some strength. Their cut out of marble i had hoped to get some veining through the marble, some of that colour will come out when their polished i hope.

analetter1.jpg

analetter2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well its been a week or so, got some pics with the canon 60d attached to the elmoscope. Not sure why, but i find it much easier to double focus with the canon attached to the elmo compared to the bmp4k, maybe i'm used to the canon, it seems really odd to me that there is such a difference. But it could be just me. Is there anyone else out there that's stuck a 2x anamorphic in front of a bmp4k ?. Like to know how it went for you.  As i  said i took a couple pics yesterday i was quite literally running out the door, wanted to get the elmoscope and pentax m42 85mm across to the machinist, should have it back by next friday.  Then i should be sorted i hope. i had the 18-55 kit lens on the canon, wanted to see if it vignettes at what focal lengths, it vignettes slightly at 55mm to really badly at 18mm, but how do you know if you dont try ? not sure if my scope is not vertical or i wasn't hold the camera correctly but ignore the leaning brickworks lol its just for testing. i guess i have to get into the habit of putting it onto a tripod even when in a hurry. Hopefully the pics i uploaded turn out more anamorphic than the last attempt

anakitlens1.jpg

anakitlens2.jpg

anabike.jpg

been a busy week. Got the tripod base cutout got two made. One has holes in it, the other is blank. got some ideas about milling out the perspex base i had made earlier and inserting the tripod base into it, kinda still at the ideas stage with it at the moment.

I also picked up the last part for the anamorphic adapter. its kinda like a step up ring but more substantial it will take the weight of the anamorphic,  but i do plan on using support anyway. Had the pentax m42 85mm 1.9 attached. I think its 58mm thread size. alignment was a little bit off when tightened up, thought about it for a bit then applied a rubber band to the rear of the anamorphic right where the threads end and put it all together tightens up quite nicely, seems to work as a temporary fix for now.

This afternoon i found out i can melt lead and quite easily it seems. I used my gopro4 with a letus anamorphic lens attached, filmed some and then timelapsed the rest, yet to import it into resolve and have play with it. Hopefully its a little bit interesting. Had a lamb born about lunch time today, mom brought it up this afternoon,  canon 60 d m42 50mm 1.4 lens. So there is a bit of a mix picture wise. enjoy

tripod-base1.jpg

anakitlens4.jpg

anakitlens3.jpg

3houroldlamb.jpg

lead.jpg