bmp4k adventures

leslie

1 hour ago, leslie said:

I think i am definitely in the market for a small or thin native lens to fit the bmp4k. Did a road trip today to the big smoke. Thought i'd stop at a couple of lookouts on the way tossed the camera and lens adapter in the bag  and took off, got to the look out and found out i'd forgotten the actual lens :blush:  Bummer

Doh!

What focal length would suit you best?  Many favour the 24-28mm equivalent, although the 35mm equivalent is my favourite, and the 50mm equivalent is popular too.

I have the 14mm Panasonic and it's not too bad, and very compact.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, kye said:

Doh!

What focal length would suit you best?  Many favour the 24-28mm equivalent, although the 35mm equivalent is my favourite, and the 50mm equivalent is popular too.

I have the 14mm Panasonic and it's not too bad, and very compact.  

some sort of wide angle pancake type lens 24-28mm  no wider than 35mm.  That i can leave attached to the camera. Leaning towards mf never had auto focus before except with the kit lens on the 60d. with the crop factor to consider i'm not interested in going past 17.5mm or 35mm equivalency if that's the correct term as other lenses i have will cover that.  i'm having a look on ebay at the moment to get some ideas and pricing 

1 minute ago, leslie said:

some sort of wide angle pancake type lens 24-28mm  no wider than 35mm.  That i can leave attached to the camera. Leaning towards mf never had auto focus before except with the kit lens on the 60d. with the crop factor to consider i'm not interested in going past 17.5mm or 35mm equivalency if that's the correct term as other lenses i have will cover that.  i'm having a look on ebay at the moment to get some ideas and pricing 

Yes, 17.5mm is the longest you want then.

Probably the biggest criteria you have are that you want it to be small and you want it to be MF.  Typically the MF lenses are SLR lenses and that means they'll need a converter, which makes them significantly larger than the native MFT lenses, which will be small but probably lack MF.

The Panasonic 14/2.5 has a MF fly-by-wire ring but it's basically useless.  I tried to use it and it's cheap and plasticy feeling, but seem to do a reasonable job.  If these things are important to you then I'd suggest getting your hands on some before purchasing, or at least buy used and then you can re-sell them without a big loss if they don't work for you.

Well i have been shopping online... bought an interesting (lens) which came to my attention while i was looking at something else and i'm bidding on another, the Olympus 15mm body cap lens. i watched some youtubes on it and it seems a little quirky perhaps but at least i'll always have a lens on the front till i find something else and its pretty cheap. btw kye this is all your fault :lol:

bought and installed btm's app, had some teething issues with my oppo r11, however btm has since sorted me out and it now works. So if you have an oppo r11  it may prove helpful to turn on location services when you turn on bluetooth le. once your paired  you can open the ctek app scan for your camera, when the camera is found you can highlight the camera and attempt to connect to it. you might get an error like i do, so wait a few moments and try to connect again.. i have to press the connect button a couple of times and then it will connect

btx the fifth and last image is the first error message i was getting maybe it will help you with further trouble shooting

connection1.jpg

connection2.jpg

connection3.jpg

connection4.jpg

connection.jpg

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, leslie said:

Well i have been shopping online... bought an interesting (lens) which came to my attention while i was looking at something else and i'm bidding on another, the Olympus 15mm body cap lens. i watched some youtubes on it and it seems a little quirky perhaps but at least i'll always have a lens on the front till i find something else and its pretty cheap. btw kye this is all your fault :lol:

bought and installed btm's app, had some teething issues with my oppo r11, however btm has since sorted me out and it now works. So if you have an oppo r11  it may prove helpful to turn on location services when you turn on bluetooth le. once your paired  you can open the ctek app scan for your camera, when the camera is found you can highlight the camera and attempt to connect to it. you might get an error like i do, so wait a few moments and try to connect again.. i have to press the connect button a couple of times and then it will connect

btx the fifth and last image is the first error message i was getting maybe it will help you with further trouble shooting

Yep, the last image is because it is not showing in the scan which means that the camera still thinks its connected.

Exiting the app through the Close Application in the top right menu ensures that the connection is terminated correctly.

There is a v1.11 update that I'll put up tomorrow to filter out non-Blackmagic devices during the scan which helps A) if you are in a very congested public place and B) if your phone scans very slowly as it appears to be the case from looking at some reports of that particular one.

I am off to a place that satisfies criteria A this afternoon to test it and it will automatically update your app when its published tomorrow.

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yep, the last image is because it is not showing in the scan which means that the camera still thinks its connected.

Exiting the app through the Close Application in the top right menu ensures that the connection is terminated correctly.

There is a v1.11 update that I'll put up tomorrow to filter out non-Blackmagic devices during the scan which helps A) if you are in a very congested public place and B) if your phone scans very slowly as it appears to be the case from looking at some reports of that particular one.

I am off to a place that satisfies criteria A this afternoon to test it and it will automatically update your app when its published tomorrow.

awesome ?

• Super Members
6 hours ago, leslie said:

awesome ?

Here are the screenshots of it in action today in a city centre.

First scan shows everyone's Fitbits etc as well as the camera.

Screenshot_20190316-183148.thumb.png.2b21a9decf72966df9a722c5308f8ce0.png

You now click on Search List and enter the filter term you want (I chose "Camera")

Screenshot_20190316-185111.thumb.png.2e6b3a57ada2d7f5625db49530e425ed.png

And then it filters all of the other devices out.

Screenshot_20190316-183252.thumb.png.cc9507eee5a0462aee3b2d33bbb1e344.png

You could choose "4K" or whatever but I decided against a default in case people have renamed their cameras.

15 hours ago, leslie said:

Haha..  you're welcome!

I think that's the whole idea of these lenses - apart from being more expensive than a body cap there is no other disadvantage but it means you always have a lens on the camera, meaning you're one step closer to the whole "the best camera is the one you have with you" kind of "always be ready to shoot" philosophy.  Considering that I shoot home videos I always try to have my camera setup and ready to turn on and shoot in case something funny or interesting happens.  Every now and then I will be running through the house to grab the camera and turning it on as I run back through the house to film something interesting.

I also especially like the idea that the lenses aren't great and aren't fast, so they force you to concentrate on having great composition, angles, lighting, and genuine content, kind of giving you a bit of immunity to the "shallow-DOF slow-motion music-video eye-candy b-roll-seqeunce of meaningless-crap" genre of film-making.

Having a slow and low-resolution lens attached to a Raw camera like the P4K combined with the added emphasis of content over empty aesthetics should result in some great and very organic looking images.  I look forward to seeing some footage when you've had a chance to play with it some :)

one of my lenses .... er lens caps has turned up. its a wandalust pinhole for m4/3 keen to give it a bit of a go tomorrow getting a bit late here and this thing equates to like f92 or something. got a couple of hours to go on bidding for an olympus 15mm bodycap lens if i don't win this auction i might just buy one ?   i guess it seems abit odd to go get a 4k camera then not throw a couple of stellar cine lenses at it ?

wandalust.jpg

i find the 300mm takumar a little soft and a bit of ca happening as well. i downloaded some resolve beginner tutorials which i plan on working my way through after that i plan on revisiting the moon a bit more with my meade lightbridge which might make things a little more interesting

meade.jpg

Had the wandalust pinhole lens on the p4k today played with some settings but i think it will be some time before i have something inspiring  to show . i have seen some stuff online and suspect its been processed for want of a better word. so more work or learning required, i think. Kinda hoping to be able to use it in a dreamy surreal sort of way.

I did notice one other thing today and that is the length of the wall plugpack to the camera is just long enough to let the plugpack rest on the ground and not have any undue weight on the connection as it goes into the camera when mounted on a tripod. Which is a  nice touch i think.

One more thing i  finished an el nikor 63mm enlarger lens m39 to m42 ef adapter today as well. If i unscrew the ef mount i can then screw it into a m42 to m4/3 adapter i have. Gonna take a  video of few seconds of tonight's moon and see if the infinity focus is to the same point as when mounted to the ef mount which would save me making  making another adapter for the bm and place me one step closer to shooting anamorphic. i know the el nikor 63mm is meant for full frame. However i figure with the prices climbing all the time i might as well get one and be done with it and be future proof if i ever get a full frame. Not sure on m/43 how wide i can go for a taking lens but i think i'll have a look around for a 50 mm el nikor enlarging lens next and see how that goes. By the way has anyone seen anything shorter than a 50 mm enlarger lens  as i am rather curious about the potential

Another thing learned i can record 8.05 seconds of hq prores 4k dci on my cheap toshiba 32g card  before it drops frames in case anyone was wondering.  i should try cinema dng and see what i get for posterity

My manfroto tripod has died. well one of the clamps on the top leg section has stripped. i think i now know why my brother gifted it to me ?. To be honest it wasn't very smooth on pan or tilt so it looks like i'm in the market for a new tripod for videography. Damn that's probably going to impact my lens buying for awhile. i think i will put a hose clamp around that section of leg to stop it falling down and use it round the property.

bmp4k-wandalust.jpg

bmp4k-lead.jpg

elnikor63-bmp4k.jpg

5 hours ago, leslie said:

Had the wandalust pinhole lens on the p4k today played with some settings but i think it will be some time before i have something inspiring  to show . i have seen some stuff online and suspect its been processed for want of a better word. so more work or learning required, i think. Kinda hoping to be able to use it in a dreamy surreal sort of way.

Yes, it can take a while to understand the vibe of a lens and work out what to shoot with it that will suit.  

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  I don't think I've ever seen video from a pinhole camera before.  

One good thing - at f92 you won't be needing NDs!

been a bit busy this week. Had the 15mm olympus body cap lens turned up this afternoon. To late to have a play with lol. I also took a set of digital calipers to the bmp4k and got some measurements from it, had a piece of perspex lying around. Drew it up in cad and got it cut out at work on the waterjet , I'm calling this the mark one. Now that i have had some time to look at it there's a few things i want to change. i want to add about 4mm to both sides of the hand grip hopefully that will allow enough room to cut out a hole that will allow  the battery door to swing open. i think it should work. i plan on milling out a space for a quick release tripod mount as well and finally  horizontally mill a slot for my ssd to slide into.

olympus-bodycap-lens.jpg

waterjet2.jpg

waterjet1.jpg

7 minutes ago, leslie said:

been a bit busy this week. Had the 15mm olympus body cap lens turned up this afternoon. To late to have a play with lol. I also took a set of digital calipers to the bmp4k and got some measurements from it, had a piece of perspex lying around. Drew it up in cad and got it cut out at work on the waterjet , I'm calling this the mark one. Now that i have had some time to look at it there's a few things i want to change. i want to add about 4mm to both sides of the hand grip hopefully that will allow enough room to cut out a hole that will allow  the battery door to swing open. i think it should work. i plan on milling out a space for a quick release tripod mount as well and finally  horizontally mill a slot for my ssd to slide into.

Cool!

So is this a DIY rig then?

I watch lots of 'maker' youtubers and I think this might be the first intersection of CAD and cameras I've seen :)

1 minute ago, kye said:

Cool!

So is this a DIY rig then?

I watch lots of 'maker' youtubers and I think this might be the first intersection of CAD and cameras I've seen :)

not completely diy, i have had a small rig for awhile i also have an elmoscope anamorphic lens plus some other bits and pieces, i'm looking to intergrate everything together in a nice robust package without the use of duct tape and chewing gum

bmp4k-smallrig.jpg

got a slot milled for the ssd and tried milling a depression for the tripod socket screw. Unfortunately  gouged the side of the hole. As i proof of concept i know it works. Next week will be focused on some correct sized drill bits, clamps amongst other things and a mark 2.

base1.jpg.17c01cc34326df3a8dbb2e490db01dda.jpg

also learned that the el nikor 63mm enlarging lens does in fact focus to infinity on the bmp4k. so that one step closer too having an anamorphic rig 

base2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

after fitting the el nikor 63mm to a m42 extension tube. i wondered if i could i avoid an extension tube  by using a m39 to m4/3 adapter instead.  So i ordered a m39. Turned up  a couple of days ago. here's a pic of the m42, m39 and el nikor. While the el nikor fits to the m39 to m4/3 adapter it protrudes out the back of the adapter by about a millimeter and a half. Which is shown in the second picture. Which hits the edge and or contacts on the bmp4k which is shown in the third picture. so using an enlarger lens on am39 adapter is a dead end  unless i want to grind down the back of the el nikor and i'm not keen to do that at this point.

m39adapter.jpg

m39adapter1.jpg

m39adapter2.jpg