bmp4k adventures

leslie

i thought i would chronicle my adventures with a black magic p4k. also i didn't want to pollute the other bmp4k threads any further. so here we are,  had the camera 3 days now

first afternoon unboxed it, inserted the battery tried to charge it only to find it was already charged. obviously bm expect us to be frothing at the mouth in anticipation and they be  right,  quite considerate of them really when you think about it :). probably half discharged it by turning it on and pressing every button repeatably  in the name of science and to see what would happen and yes, not exactly scientific i know but it is one way to learn. did take some footage of some sheep being fed, again as a learning experience and yes i learned i have a lot to learn. first thoughts well there's been some talk around the lightness of the p4k and to be honest  picking up the box it was transported in did feel quite light after unboxing and putting a lens on it er.. a m42 50mm super takurmar, holding it and a canon 60d with a lens in it  in the other hand there wasn't much difference nothing noteworthy anyway. the next day got a chance to take it for a drive visited  a local soldiers memorial that's just been built. as quite a lot of locals went off to war. those that came back and others were settled around stanthorpe.  i'm kinda thinking of making it a documentry with the p4k as i think there's abit of a story to it. but that's another story. had no issues with the battery door or battery sticking yet. my battery compartment has a nice amount of wiggle room. speaking of batteries the bm battery doesn't seem to charge up in a canon charger as its the same battery as my canon 60d. i think i have seen somewhere on the forum that thats already known. i did just check my canon 60d battery compartment there is a lot more wiggle room compared to the p4k.  more scientific endeavors follow i learned a cheap $30 toshiba 32 gb sd card from woolworths will record with prores 422 1080 hd for about 5 mins, hey it was something i had lying around. i do have a samsung 1t t5 ssd for it but i dont have much of a rig for it yet and i didn't want to duct tape it to the p4k. one more thing i learned at the soldier monument the aussie sun smashes the screen, its hard to see even at 5 pm in the afternoon. so i'm thinking some sort of hood will be pretty high on the agenda. i'm not saying the screen is bad,  just that the sun easily overpowers it. ok thats about it for, now next is play time with resolve, stay tuned for more updates on  a newbies appreciation off what a steep learning curve looks like with the bmp4k 

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

1e.jpg

1f.jpg

toshiba.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, leslie said:

One more thing i learned at the soldier monument the aussie sun smashes the screen, its hard to see even at 5 pm in the afternoon. so i'm thinking some sort of hood will be pretty high on the agenda. i'm not saying the screen is bad,  just that the sun easily overpowers it.

Its no fan of Spain either.

An affordable EVF can not come soon enough for this camera.

16 hours ago, leslie said:

one more thing i learned at the soldier monument the aussie sun smashes the screen, its hard to see even at 5 pm in the afternoon. so i'm thinking some sort of hood will be pretty high on the agenda. i'm not saying the screen is bad,  just that the sun easily overpowers it. ok thats about it for, now next is play time with resolve, stay tuned for more updates on  a newbies appreciation off what a steep learning curve looks like with the bmp4k 

as a fellow oz I know your pain. If you don't have an external monitor or rig and just want a cheap sun hood, I'd recommend getting these 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/L128-PAD-Monitor-Hood-Sunshade-Sun-FPV-For-DJI-MAVIC-Phantom3-4-PRO-SPARK-Osmo/153351269249?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

works like a champ 

86A3DE04-8074-4340-8366-20B07CEF8EDA.thumb.jpeg.c99b5388fe1507730f9c91b49779b14e.jpeg

5 hours ago, leslie said:

the jury has decided, however its a 2 pocket job one for the p4k the other pocket for the lens. but thats bare bones had to take the quick release base plate and the lens off

MEPOCKET.jpg

If you had the Olympus 9mm f8 or 15mm f8 'body cap' lenses then it would be the same size and would have a lens on it!

I know I'm kind of reaching for the extremes here, but for some specific types of stills photography those lenses are actually ideal as well as being very convenient and cheap too :)

2 hours ago, xzobinx said:

as a fellow oz I know your pain. If you don't have an external monitor or rig and just want a cheap sun hood, I'd recommend getting these 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/L128-PAD-Monitor-Hood-Sunshade-Sun-FPV-For-DJI-MAVIC-Phantom3-4-PRO-SPARK-Osmo/153351269249?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

works like a champ 

looks good from here.... one is on the way

4 minutes ago, kye said:

If you had the Olympus 9mm f8 or 15mm f8 'body cap' lenses then it would be the same size and would have a lens on it!

You might also get away with the Meike 28mm f.28 - it's a great cheap, tiny manual prime with clickless aperture. Nice focal length for a walk around lens too. 

52 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

You might also get away with the Meike 28mm f.28 - it's a great cheap, tiny manual prime with clickless aperture. Nice focal length for a walk around lens too. 

If we're allowing lenses with more than zero thickness then the Panasonic 14/2.5 isn't too bad a choice either.

42 minutes ago, kye said:

If we're allowing lenses with more than zero thickness then the Panasonic 14/2.5 isn't too bad a choice either.

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

you guys will keep me broke ?  happy to use the m42 lens i have accumulated, the only issue is the crop factor is a bit more severe than the 1.6 on a canon, i think must be close to 2 times. i am curious if i buy a m4/3 lens say a Voigtlander 17.5mm Nokton does it act like a 17.5 on m4/3 or does it become like a 35mm ? never mind  i did a quick google and it seems that 17.5 comes out at 35mm so it seems the crop still applies even on m4/3 lenses. i had some irrational thought it would only apply to adapted lenses not native lenses. i guess my problem has been answered ? first i have to sort out the elmoscope and try it with some lenses i have already. any one know how wide you can go with a elmoscope type 1 2x anamorphic on m4/3 mount ? i presume i can go wider than full frame but not sure how much wider ?

Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 Nokton MFT Lens - Integrated MFT Mount & Selective Aperture Control.

•    Focal Length: 17.5mm (translates into a standard 35mm in 35mm terms)
    •    Angle of View: 47.3°
    •    Apertures: f0.95 to f16
    •    Lens Construction: 13 Elements in 9 groups 
    •    Aperture Blades: 10
    •    Closest Focusing Distance: 0.15m
    •    Diameter: 63.4mm Length: 80mm Weight: 540g
    •    Filter Size: 58mm
    •    Colour: Black
    •    Mount: Micro Four Thirds
    •    Hood: Included

elmo1.gif

elmo2.gif

pentax.gif

1 hour ago, leslie said:

does it act like a 17.5 on m4/3 or does it become like a 35mm ?

As far as I know, all lens measurements, regardless of the system they mount on, are based on a full frame sensor, from field of view to the amount of light they let in. For example, shooting at 50mm f1.8 on full frame will be wider and brighter than 50mm f1.8 on APS-c, which will be wider and brighter than 50mm f1.8 on MFT. 

That said, does medium format also follow this rule? would you say it has a negative crop? So 50mm is actually 35mm FOV? (or whatever the maths makes it out to be)

6 hours ago, kye said:

All lenses are comparable in focal length, but because different sensors are different sizes then the FOV you get will differ with a given focal length.

This might help:  https://mmcalc.com

thanks that was rather informative. i didn't know that the dof changed as well. maybe i half knew but didn't really connect the dots before now. buying a bmp4k with a different mount is certainly proving to be a learning experience ?

10 hours ago, leslie said:

thanks that was rather informative. i didn't know that the dof changed as well. maybe i half knew but didn't really connect the dots before now. buying a bmp4k with a different mount is certainly proving to be a learning experience ?

Yeah, and it gives you a few interesting little tweaks.  For example, the 12-35mm f2.8 "professional" lens is equivalent to a 24-70 f5.6 on FF, which no-one would say was "professional", they'd say that f4 was borderline and f5.6 is WTF, but tonnes of people are running around saying "it's a 2.8 professional zoom" and the manufacturers sure aren't keen to point out it's not the same as a canon 24-70 2.8 zoom.  In fact, it's not even as fast as the canon FF kit lens - EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6.

Think about a smartphone - those lenses are often under f2, and yet there's no shallow-DOF to be found anywhere, which is why they're putting 1000 cameras on the back and blurring the photos in software.

People often comment that my Voigtlander 17.5mm F0.95 is completely ridiculous, but they don't bat an eyelid when someone says they're looking for a 35mm F1.4 for FF, yet my Voigt is equivalent to a 35mm f1.9.

Welcome to the crop factor party :)

Hooked the samsung t5 up to the bmp4k and formatted it the other day,

A bit of a side trip now installed  Photoshop cs3 on the laptop yesterday and it seems that adobe no longer run servers to activate old versions which meant jumping through some hoops and getting a new key downloading and installing a new old version of cs3 inputting the key which it accepts, oddly it says 30 days left on trial, interesting to see what happens in a months time ?

I think i am definitely in the market for a small or thin native lens to fit the bmp4k. Did a road trip today to the big smoke. Thought i'd stop at a couple of lookouts on the way tossed the camera and lens adapter in the bag  and took off, got to the look out and found out i'd forgotten the actual lens :blush:  Bummer

samsung.jpg

samsung1.jpg

• Super Members
1 hour ago, leslie said:

I think i am definitely in the market for a small or thin native lens to fit the bmp4k. Did a road trip today to the big smoke. Thought i'd stop at a couple of lookouts on the way tossed the camera and lens adapter in the bag  and took off, got to the look out and found out i'd forgotten the actual lens :blush:  Bummer

Oh man...that sucks !

The small Panasonic 14mm and 20mm pancakes are pretty good little lenses.

For versatility, particularly as it has OIS, the yacht club special is cheap, cheerful and definitely worth having in your pocket.

Although judging by the size of your pocket in the picture above you could probably fit a large tele-zoom in it.