Handling the new GH2 25p footage and FAQ

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/gh2-v1-11.jpg[/img]

It has been a great week for the GH2, with the new official firmware update. It adds a ‘HBR’ mode which is high bitrate 25p or 30p depending on if you have a Euopean / PAL or US / Japanese NTSC GH2.

Here I’ll take a hands-on look at the new firmware in FAQ form, and whether you should use the official ‘hack’ or the unofficial one.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/6534/handling-the-new-gh2-25p-footage-and-reinstalling-the-hack/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just bought Clipwrap as FCPX was having problems with the footage. No such problems now, and you can playback in the Finder easily. You can also choose to encode footage into ProRes flavours and DNxHD, but doing it this way  ( rewrapping the .mts to a .mov) you retain the low file sizes of the h264 original files.

Question about the improved noise reduction (firmware 1.1): My settings in color mode are Smooth -2,-2,0,-1. This means that NR is set to -2 (=almost off?) Do I need to set this to a higher value for the improved noise reduction? Or is this improvement of NR in 1.1 firmware not related to this setting and can I benefit of this NR improvement at a value of -1?

Andrew about ClipWrap: "It also means you can edit in FCP7 natively like dragging and dropping AVCHD into Premiere Pro CS5.5."
Anybody has experiences with using 25p footage in FCP7? I rewrapped it and dragged it into FCP7, but it still does not have the smooth editing feeling as clips transcoded into prores. I am using a Macbbok Pro i5, 2.53GHZ 4GB RAM. May be my computer is too week? For me it still feels like importing native mts files into FCP7: dropped frames, very slow etc. Am I doing something wrong?

• 2 months later...
I am probably missing something but I have a simple solution to how to handle the 50i wrapper. I simply import it, and edit it, and export it as 25p, and everything looks great.. This works for me, but is clip wrap better to use for some reason?

Also, how come when I play the clips in media player it appears to be progressive, but in Premiere while editing it appears to be interlaced in fine detail?