Leica Q2 (DCI4K)

Django

Just announced... The Q2 offers a 47.3MP full-frame sensor capable of DCI and UHD 4K video recording, and sticks with the stabilized 28mm F1.7 offered on the first Q.

leica_q2_weatherproof.jpeg

The Leica Q2 features a newly developed 47.3 megapixel full frame sensor that captures both richly-detailed still pictures and 4K video in brilliant quality at ISO sensitivities up to 50,000.

4K: 30fps / 24fps
C4K: 24fps
Full-HD: 24, 30, 60 & 120fps

Not expecting fantastic video performance like the SL2 (no L-log, 10-bit, ALL-I and 4K seems to have a crop) but if the RS isn't too bad this could be a cool walkaround hybrid..

The price isn't even that expensive imo considering the lens you're getting and sensor resolution.

..This might just be my first Leica :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, Django said:

The price isn't even that expensive imo considering the lens you're getting and sensor resolution.

..This might just be my first Leica :)

I had the first version. Really enjoyed it. Hopefully the Q2 will push down the prices even further so I can buy it again even cheaper.

If anything it will be amusing to read all the comments on the various sites from triggered non-photographers that doesn't understand the appeal. Or are just jealous because they can't afford it and/or utilize it ;)

No they are a fine crafted jewel in your hand. Even the shutter sound on them is pretty amazing sounding. I think the output can be done a lot cheaper now on the digital ones, especially on the video side. You just over expose and sort of crush the blacks in B&W.. I have had a couple of the film bodies, digital ones are Way out of my range now.  ?

Here in Europe, S1R is 3700€ body only. The Q2 is selling for 4790€... with a Leica 28mm Summilux.. lens alone retails for 6000€. All made in Germany.

If you look at it that way, the Q2 is practically a bargain! 

Btw, I've never owned a Leica but I've shot before on a couple M series (M7, M9..) and have never been able to shake the feeling out of my system.

The craftsmanship, the rangefinder system, the lenses, the color science, the overall feel in your hand... I mean yeah even the shutter sound is orgasmic.

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Django said:

Here in Europe, S1R is 3700€ body only. The Q2 is selling for 4790€... with a Leica 28mm Summilux.. lens alone retails for 6000€. All made in Germany.

Not sure that the lens is made in Germany and it isn't in the same league as the Leica M 28mm Summilux F1.4.

I think it's a Panasonic optic on the Q.

If you look at it that way, the Q2 is practically a bargain!

There's not much competition in full frame compact cameras, but I have the original Q and RX1R II, and I am tempted by the Zeiss ZX1 as well. They are a wonderful breed.

The Q2 will be interesting but not purely based on the fact it has 4K now, although that's very nice, and something the Sony RX1R II doesn't have.

Btw, I've never owned a Leica but I've shot before on a couple M series (M7, M9..) and have never been able to shake the feeling out of my system.

The craftsmanship, the rangefinder system, the lenses, the color science, the overall feel in your hand... I mean yeah even the shutter sound is orgasmic.

The Q definitely feels like a Panasonic. It's not a brass tank, or anything in league with an M.

That has it's own pros and cons... It's light, and technologically very current!

Yeah i've got no illusions about the Q not being in M series category (and part of me still really wants a real M rangefinder) but the body is made in germany. it's not a rebranded panasonic. The specs are pretty cool.. the Q2 now has the highest resolution in a Leica ever and the clever crop modes (35mm, 50mm & now 75mm) make even more sense. Closest thing to a medium format Leica imo. I've been playing with some DNG samples and I gotta say I'm quite surprised by the DR/recovery. Base ISO of 50 is also pretty damn sweet.

5493590503.jpg

1938930296.jpg

DCI4K video is the cherry on top.. not the main attraction of course.. more of a bonus really. But it'll be interesting to see the IQ..

I just might pull the trigger on this one (not been this excited about a Leica in a while). I just need to stay away from the M series when visiting the store..

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, Django said:

I just might pull the trigger on this one (not been this excited about a Leica in a while). I just need to stay away from the M series when visiting the store..

You'll be going into the Leica store to collect your Q2 just as they are unboxing the demo version of the upcoming M Mini.

Be strong ;)

16 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

What is the appeal of Leica in general?

no one knows!

lol naw jk, it’s like... a rolls royce

a rolls Royce used to be this very expensive fancy car handmade by the best people, and it still kind of is, but its also kind of a really expensive 7 series cuz bmw owns them now and they share technology

so

toyota-makes-a-tribute-to-jeremy-clarkso

An S1R + Sigma 28mm F1.4 will run you the same price.

A Nikon Z7 + FTZ + 28mm F1.4 will cost you a grand extra.. and won’t be nearly as compact

z6-ftz-28mm-f14.jpg

Apple & oranges I know when it comes to functionality but those 3 cameras all pretty much share the same sensor so in that regard the Q2 isn’t really that expensive.

M series yeah you may have a point with the RR/Bentley reference ;)

I would love one of these types of cameras (Q, RX1, Fuji X100) that has great video specs. Often walking around without all my professional tools, there's a great shot that could be used for a future project - would be nice to be able to capture it.

I can't justify the price of the Leica Q2 and doubt the DCI 4K will be all that great, but it would be awesome if Fuji put the X-T3 video specs in the next X100 iteration. Since those cameras have an internal ND and are so portable, would be nice to always have with you. 

16 hours ago, Django said:

Yeah i've got no illusions about the Q not being in M series category (and part of me still really wants a real M rangefinder) but the body is made in germany. it's not a rebranded panasonic. The specs are pretty cool.. the Q2 now has the highest resolution in a Leica ever and the clever crop modes (35mm, 50mm & now 75mm) make even more sense. Closest thing to a medium format Leica imo. I've been playing with some DNG samples and I gotta say I'm quite surprised by the DR/recovery. Base ISO of 50 is also pretty damn sweet.

5493590503.jpg

1938930296.jpg

DCI4K video is the cherry on top.. not the main attraction of course.. more of a bonus really. But it'll be interesting to see the IQ..

I think at that price medium format starts to make more sense. You are getting something truly different. Something that might expand your creative process. Just a thought. I’m keeping away from new camera bodies until the next breakthrough... or the new 1DXMK3... whichever comes first ?