Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K gets BRAW in extensive FFPGA hardware update delivered via software

Andrew Reid

4 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

What compression ratio would you recommend in order to a 4K DCP with no need of VFX? 

4:1 is usually fine, and of course less is better. :) But I'd probably use VBR HQ for constant quality.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
45 minutes ago, cpc said:

4:1 is usually fine, and of course less is better. :) But I'd probably use VBR HQ for constant quality.

If we shoot CinemaDNG lossless, how many minutes length we can expect as average going with VBR HQ for archive @ post?

If we shoot lossy 4:1 CinemaDNG, would there be any chance to still save space in disk without losing 4K DCP output in mind? If so, what slimraw route?

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

If we shoot CinemaDNG lossless, how many minutes length we can expect as average going with VBR HQ for archive @ post?

If we shoot lossy 4:1 CinemaDNG, would there be any chance to still save space in disk without losing 4K DCP output in mind? If so, what slimraw route?

It depends; variable bit rate means size will vary with image complexity. It is usually (but not always) between 3:1 and 4:1, might be around 600GB for a couple of hours of 4K.

I wouldn't bother shrinking a 4:1 source any further, but if you really have the inclination, you can try 5:1 or 7:1 on top of it, which will shave off ~20% and ~40% respectively. Ofc, always test and judge results yourself.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:10 AM, cpc said:

It depends; variable bit rate means size will vary with image complexity. It is usually (but not always) between 3:1 and 4:1, might be around 600GB for a couple of hours of 4K.

I wouldn't bother shrinking a 4:1 source any further, but if you really have the inclination, you can try 5:1 or 7:1 on top of it, which will shave off ~20% and ~40% respectively. Ofc, always test and judge results yourself.

3.1 is (was) 64m /500GB (4K Dci 24p)...2 hours pre-braw on 500GB has never been a possibility in 4K

bmpcc4k.png

• 5 months later...

In an interview with Cinema 5d IBC 2018 Blackmagic said we are interested to provide BRAW for other camera manufacturers too! That too for free!

Link:- @ 4:30-6:00 min

I would love to see BRAW in Fujifilm x series with/without monitor! But I want SDI output from Fujifilm x cameras! 

Recently they anounced 12g sdi RAW output with blackmagic video assist! Who knows blackmagic would become new atomos!?