Blackmagic Design Announces New URSA Mini Pro G2

Adam Kuźniar

Blackmagic Design today announced URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, a second generation URSA Mini Pro camera featuring fully redesigned electronics and a new Super 35mm 4.6K image sensor with 15 stops of dynamic range that combine to support high frame rate shooting at up to 300 frames per second. In addition, URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 supports Blackmagic RAW and features a new USB-C expansion port for direct recording to external disks.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20190305-01

2-ursa-mini-pro-46k-g2.jpg?_v=1550719646

Hopefully the price of Ursa Mini Pros G1 will go down now ? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

Blackmagic Design today announced URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, a second generation URSA Mini Pro camera featuring fully redesigned electronics and a new Super 35mm 4.6K image sensor with 15 stops of dynamic range that combine to support high frame rate shooting at up to 300 frames per second. In addition, URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 supports Blackmagic RAW and features a new USB-C expansion port for direct recording to external disks.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20190305-01

2-ursa-mini-pro-46k-g2.jpg?_v=1550719646

Hopefully the price of Ursa Mini Pros G1 will go down now ? 

Well only addition is 300 fps. I never even used 120fps on the ump. So for me the g2 is not worth the upgrade.

Just now, Anaconda_ said:

But the question is - did they change the color of the ND selector? If not, FS5II is a much better option. 

What, I would even prefer my pocket 4k over the fs5 ii.

For sure they will since this one is the same price as the original cost yesterday.

4 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

What, I would even prefer my pocket 4k over the fs5 ii.

It was a joke. BMD have upgraded a lot here, Sony changed the colour of the ND filter selector from silver to black. All the internal stuff stayed the same.

1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

For sure they will since this one is the same price as the original cost yesterday.

It was a joke. BMD have upgraded a lot here, Sony changed the colour of the ND filter selector from silver to black. All the internal stuff stayed the same.

Oh had no clue ?

Holy smokes. 150fps in DCI 4K - Geeesh. They're in Red's territory now. Pretty amazing at that price point.

Black Magic is going all out the last couple of years, from cameras to codecs to editing to color grading. You could just use Black Magic products from start to finish. Black Magic Raw is one of the best things to come out since RedCode Raw and it was also just announced that it is available in the Pocket 4K. 

Ursa Mini Pro G2 + Pocket 4K is a pretty great combination for A and B Cam and combined they are cheaper than a single C200 or C300 or FS7. 

Looks like a nicely performing cinema/broadcast camera.

• Interchangeable lens mount with EF mount included as standard. Optional PL, B4 and F lens mounts available separately.

The F-mount is interesting.  The B4 mount suggests a crop sensor mode (but there might also be magnification optics in their B4 mount).  Perhaps, in regards to S35, Blackmagic is starting to think a little outside of the EF/PL box.

However, from the photo it appears that the internal NDs are permanent and this is yet another S35 camera from Blackmagic with an interchangeable lens mount that will not accept lenses and adapters requiring shallow mounts.  So, there are countless nice, interesting lenses that cannot be used with this camera, nor will interchangeable FF-to-S35 focal reducers work with this camera and nor will special adapters (such as tilt/swing/shift, continuously variable ND, etc.) work.

If this camera has a crop sensor mode, it would be great if it could accept M4/3 and C-mount lenses.

On the other hand, @lucabutera's internal Magicbooster insert might work inside the camera's EF mount, even with the camera's internal NDs.

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Higher frame rates is cool, though I am more curious about the new sensor. I wonder if it'll be better in low light. I recall the 120fps on the Ursa mini 4.6k wasn't too great. Maybe its improved on this one. 

Looks like a very interesting camera tho. 

It was vastly improved on the ursa mini pro with firmware updates. John Brawley says the g2 is iso wise the same as g1, only difference is the +300fps. 

3 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

It was vastly improved on the ursa mini pro with firmware updates. John Brawley says the g2 is iso wise the same as g1, only difference is the +300fps. 

Ah oh well, still a nice camera. There is an Ursa mini 4.6k on ebay right now for just above $3000. If this drives the prices of them down more that would be cool. Though if the only upgrade is 300fps I don't see it being that big of a killer. 

21 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Ah oh well, still a nice camera. There is an Ursa mini 4.6k on ebay right now for just above $3000. If this drives the prices of them down more that would be cool. Though if the only upgrade is 300fps I don't see it being that big of a killer. 

4.6k 120fps is the biggest upgrade imo....