Advice on eBay anamorphic lens listing (No advertising)

Andrew Reid

It is a great little lens, very rare and it's same size with baby Iscomorphot.

I love this lens, it produces nice clean images and it's dual focus...

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another Iscorama 1.5x  spotted on Ebay. (Not my listing)  

This one has an interesting clip attachment I haven't seen before. Strange.

I'm still looking for a 54, but here's this link if anyone of you guys are on the hunt. The glass looks clean.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISCORAMA-1-5X-ANAMORPHIC-Beaulieu-Super-8mm-Clip-adapter-DSLR-BMCC-BMPC-/111458367096?pt=FR_IQ_PhotoVideo_Photo_Objectifs_Zooms

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this one come up recently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50mm-LOMO-anamorphic-camera-lens-square-front-/201176337425?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2ed70b4c11

Can anyone positively ID this as oct-18?  It doesn't seem to be an OCT-19 but it does look like its a mono-block lens.  Is that bulky spot around the middle some sort of mod?  Any idea where the mod might have been done?  It doesn't look like my oct-19 80mm, but I'm still looking for a mono-block 50mm so if I'm mistaken I'd like to know.

The seller has listed it listed as "OCT (????)" which worries me, since she doesn't seem to know anything about it and you can't hold the seller to the claim if things go bad.  Anyone know anything?

Saw this one come up recently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50mm-LOMO-anamorphic-camera-lens-square-front-/201176337425?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2ed70b4c11

Can anyone positively ID this as oct-18?  It doesn't seem to be an OCT-19 but it does look like its a mono-block lens.  Is that bulky spot around the middle some sort of mod?  Any idea where the mod might have been done?  It doesn't look like my oct-19 80mm, but I'm still looking for a mono-block 50mm so if I'm mistaken I'd like to know.

The seller has listed it listed as "OCT (????)" which worries me, since she doesn't seem to know anything about it and you can't hold the seller to the claim if things go bad.  Anyone know anything?

I saw this item as well. The seller actually has 3 different 50mm square fronts and two 35mm square fronts for sale.

One of the 35mm looks 80's the other looks like a much older version.

The 50mm are confusing.  I was looking at this you posted one as well. I had found a guide explaining what all the letters meant on the front of lomos, but I can't seem to re-locate it. If anyone knows, please help!

I agree the 50mm's are confusing.  I'm not convinced all the information in all of those listings is correct and I'm having a hard time making sense of all of the markings so I can't concretely confirm my suspicions.  I too feel like I saw a document once that clearly outlined a lot of this stuff but can't find it right now. 

I can say with reasonable certainty that the first two numbers in the serial numbers are the year they were made, which would make the 35mm's from 1981 and 1871 respectively.  The general consensus is that condition is much more important than age (mine is from 67 but makes a sharp image at T4, so go figure).  These look to be in really good condition if the pictures are to be believed, and you can have them converted to monoblock with a PL and a focus ring for about 750.  So that seems pretty reasonable if everything is on the up and up.

I'm having a hard time parsing the numbers on the 50's though.  So nothing useful for me!

I agree the 50mm's are confusing.  I'm not convinced all the information in all of those listings is correct and I'm having a hard time making sense of all of the markings so I can't concretely confirm my suspicions.  I too feel like I saw a document once that clearly outlined a lot of this stuff but can't find it right now. 

I can say with reasonable certainty that the first two numbers in the serial numbers are the year they were made, which would make the 35mm's from 1981 and 1871 respectively.  The general consensus is that condition is much more important than age (mine is from 67 but makes a sharp image at T4, so go figure).  These look to be in really good condition if the pictures are to be believed, and you can have them converted to monoblock with a PL and a focus ring for about 750.  So that seems pretty reasonable if everything is on the up and up.

I'm having a hard time parsing the numbers on the 50's though.  So nothing useful for me!

Looks like they all sold for a reasonable price. DId you manage to grab one?

You mentioned that you can get these dual lenses converted to monoblock.  Do you know who is doing this? I'd love to look into it.

Thanks!

Sadly no.

I bid 2100 on the one I linked. I would have gone higher if I'd had more trust in the seller. To me it went for a little more than it is worth, it's close and often changing, but you have to draw the line somewhere. To get it in working condition it would be 500 for a pl, 160 for a focus ring, and another two hundred-ish for a CLA/collimation (from the people I'd have do the work). Add in shipping to Russia and NY two ways and it would be another 1000 over the sale price to get it working. It went for 2250 but would actually be roughly 3250 to use it, which is a fine price... But I bought an 80mm with pl and focus ring, from a reputable dealer, with test images to show its quality (which this seller would not provide), for under 3000 a few months ago. So to me it was a bit high.

Someone selling expensive lenses but being unable to provide any images from them worries me. Some of these old lenses cant produce a good image, and the only way to know is to look through one, so it can be convenient to hide behind "I don't have the right camera to test it." That's not an accusation here, but that guarantee is worth money to me.

The brassy one was the best of the bunch to me, but the seller listed it as an oct (???) but when I pressed him he said it was a rodina mount, not an OCT of any sort (and only told me at the last minute). These lenses can also be converted but are bulkier than the oct-19 variety, and can't be used with an adapter. But the thing that concerned me was that he was claiming ignorance but actually knew exactly what it was. The other thing is that I'm suspicious that the other mono-block 50mm he listed is actually a 75mm (it just looked too long), but I couldn't figure out the numbers on the front conclusively.

Dima at conversiontopl.com told me he could convert my 35mm two piece into a single lens with a pl and focus ring for 750 (I bought my 80mm from him and he has been very trustworthy in our dealings). I think some other people convert them or re-house them but I don't have any other names (except Sergey, but he's fallen into disrepute). The catch is that after the conversion the lens still needs rails. But that's probably a conversation for another thread... (But one well worth starting!)

Trying to piece a set of these together is definitely a challenge, but I think you still have to be choosy. Hope the winners got something good though!

Dima at conversiontopl.com told me he could convert my 35mm two piece into a single lens with a pl and focus ring for 750 (I bought my 80mm from him and he has been very trustworthy in our dealings). I think some other people convert them or re-house them but I don't have any other names (except Sergey, but he's fallen into disrepute). The catch is that after the conversion the lens still needs rails. But that's probably a conversation for another thread... (But one well worth starting!)

Trying to piece a set of these together is definitely a challenge, but I think you still have to be choosy. Hope the winners got something good though!

Thanks for the info Russell, much appreciated!

I didn't even bother bidding as I was a little iffy on the glass. And "rodina mount"? Had to google that one...

Thanks again.

Well done for pointing this out!

Its amazing how many people don't look at the 'Bid History' & this is exactly why you should always have a look during the bidding process. Both those Iscorama's had people raising the price & it is becoming a real shame that so many people are being scammed.

Its also becoming a real shame that people are willing to hang their brains in the closet & pay so much!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KOWA-Prominar-ANAMORPHIC-16D-Anamorphic-Lens-/121453649097?pt=AU_Lenses&hash=item1c47339cc9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So that auction ended back at the start of November without being sold and instead of reducing price when he relisted it, to try and shift it, he's increased it by another 500!