Advice on eBay anamorphic lens listing (No advertising)

Andrew Reid

Thinking of buying this one: 

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Kowa-Prominar-INFLIGHT-1-5x-anamorphic-35-lens-like-Iscorama-Bolex-Moller-/263151749882?hash=item3d45110afa:g:8eIAAOSwrGFZladz

I was actually on the look out for an iscorama, or bolex moller (I think I like that one the most with the all the footage I saw until now), but this plus a rectilux might be a good option?

• 2 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 26/07/2017 at 4:02 PM, Sam J said:

Hey everyone,
I've been interested in the Hypergonar lenses for some time, and I'm currently considering purchasing one myself.

Would any of you know the differences between the 16 ST, Series C, and Berthiot models? I've been seeing a couple 16 ST lenses recently on ebay and I'd like to get one soon (really like their yellow flares).
Thanks!

You should search the forum, i think somewhere Mr Rectilux explained a bit the different versions.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Learning a lot from this site and the various YouTube channels associated with people that post here and elsewhere. My question is about buying on eBay - and all the increases in prices and scarcity of choices - vs. going with the "newer" offerings from Isco.  I feel the vintage lenses are increasing in price for lots of reasons.  But as someone who is coming into the game later, is biting the bullet and paying top dollar for a trusted piece of glass worth the premium over the Iscos that are so readily available at almost half the price?  I've already ruled out the SLR Magic Anamorphot+Rangefinder combo as the falling is too much for my taste.

I'd like to shoot on my a7Rii (in s35) and a6500.  

Thanks in advance for any advice!

RJ

The answer is very simple I think: What do you expect from an anamorphic lens? You want a "cinematic" image with loads of character and get red of videoish look. Probably flare, bokeh...
 Unfortunately all those new Schneider/Isco don't get the job done. Why? Because they were built for the oposite thing - just project! a super clean, sharp neutral image. These are not tools for filmaking. I like to compare it with the use of speakers. You would not use a Yamaha Monitor One as a substitute for a Marshall speaker or VOX AC30 if you play guitar. So better avoid the hassle and shoot sperical and crop if you don't want to invest in expensive glass. :blush:

13 hours ago, rjderama said:

I feel the vintage lenses are increasing in price for lots of reasons.  But as someone who is coming into the game later, is biting the bullet and paying top dollar for a trusted piece of glass worth the premium over the Iscos that are so readily available at almost half the price?

I do not agree for this, You can still buy anamorphic lenses for 'normal' prices. I have seen Iscorama pre 36 and Bolex 16/32 for less than $ 1.000,- But those lenses are mostly gone before you find them. Actually, they are only for minutes on auction sites.

4 hours ago, keessie65 said:

I do not agree for this, You can still buy anamorphic lenses for 'normal' prices. I have seen Iscorama pre 36 and Bolex 16/32 for less than $ 1.000,- But those lenses are mostly gone before you find them. Actually, they are only for minutes on auction sites.

Thanks for the insight.  I must be doing something wrong.  My only experience is with eBay, so I can't think of another auction site where this might happen.  However, I'll hunt around for more marketplaces and I might get lucky.

Yes... during long and cold nights the myths and tales from cheap Iscoramas on ebay and flea markets are told... :tounge: Well, miracles do happen. But can you wait for one? But be careful of evil guys offering Iscoramas for less than $1,000. I made some experiences... Good luck! :thumbsup::blush: 

3 hours ago, Rudolf said:

Yes... during long and cold nights the myths and tales from cheap Iscoramas on ebay and flea markets are told... :tounge: Well, miracles do happen. But can you wait for one? But be careful of evil guys offering Iscoramas for less than $1,000. I made some experiences... Good luck! :thumbsup::blush: 

The white whale is out there indeed, but I want to shoot in the meantime. While tempted to go SLR magic for ease of use. I’m heading towards the smaller adapters, add a single focus soslution, and learn until the holy grail appears. 

2 hours ago, rjderama said:

The white whale is out there indeed, but I want to shoot in the meantime. While tempted to go SLR magic for ease of use. I’m heading towards the smaller adapters, add a single focus soslution, and learn until the holy grail appears. 

There are lots of different anamorphic lenses out there & quite a few which don't get much attention. I'm with Rudolf & avoid the coloured Iscos - over priced & really won't give you the look most people are after. As a first stop I'd look into something like a Sankor/Singer 16D or H or an Elmoscope I - they have the x2 stretch, aren't horribly sharp & they will give you those lovely Blue flares that you see from the cinema - they will flare much better than any Iscorama. Yes they are dual focus, but you mentioned getting an adaptor for single focus, so no problem.

Have a look around & you can always post examples to get people's feedback....good luck & don't make a impulse purchases - waiting & looking around is the best course of action.

50 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

There are lots of different anamorphic lenses out there & quite a few which don't get much attention. I'm with Rudolf & avoid the coloured Iscos - over priced & really won't give you the look most people are after. As a first stop I'd look into something like a Sankor/Singer 16D or H or an Elmoscope I - they have the x2 stretch, aren't horribly sharp & they will give you those lovely Blue flares that you see from the cinema - they will flare much better than any Iscorama. Yes they are dual focus, but you mentioned getting an adaptor for single focus, so no problem.

Have a look around & you can always post examples to get people's feedback....good luck & don't make a impulse purchases - waiting & looking around is the best course of action.

So even an Elmoscope I and not the II, huh? Options are good. Research time!!!

The elmoscope I is a lot like the kowa 16d or 16s (size and image look, not sure on flare color) but as an owner of the 16s I’ll say I prefer it over the elmo, even over the sankors (which are larger and a bit heavier but with blue flares). The kowa 16d/s has a 43mm back tread that can be helpful for mounting or using step down filters to avoid light leaks and prevent the scope from falling when used with clamps. I vouch for the kowa for a first non expensive anamorphic.

On 1/10/2018 at 12:32 PM, keessie65 said:

I agree, I think there is more Anamorphic stuff floating around now than there ever was. And  a good bit of it is really not that much money. Heck that stuff was Never cheap. Now single focus 35mm stuff well you can forget that.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:14 PM, webrunner5 said:

I agree, I think there is more Anamorphic stuff floating around now than there ever was. And  a good bit of it is really not that much money. Heck that stuff was Never cheap. Now single focus 35mm stuff well you can forget that.

@elgabogomez@Bioskop.Incand @webrunner5 Thanks for continuing the thread.  The buy in is indeed high, using the Elmoscope I or Kowa 16/d/s seems reasonable at least.  I really do feel grateful that you guys chimed in!

• 3 weeks later...

Guys what about using the kowa 16 D, which has 43mm rear threads, and a taking lens that is larger with step down rings? Should I try to find an anamorphic that is larger than my taking lens? Or is it okay to step down to make it work? I’m using a gh5, and thinking of maybe using canon glass with a speedbooster for my taking lens. If I went the Helios 44 route those threads are 49mm I think, so I’d be using a step down ring 49-43mm. Or maybe what about something larger like the canon 50mm f1.4 which has 58mm threads, so a step down ring from 58-43mm? Would this work with a scope with smaller diameter? Side note I’ve just got the sLr anamorphot 50 2x, and used an 85mm rokinon mft (no speedbooster) with amstep don ring 72-62mm and it worked with no vignette. Thanks in advance! I’m just getting into these anamorphics 

• 1 month later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BELL-HOWELL-ANAMORPHIC-PROJECTION-LENS/152931454516

Heads up on this eBay listing for the Bell & Howell 2x Anamorphic. I bought it last month when it was listed as having no significant scratches or fungus. The seller didn't want to take the return, but eBay helped me out. it's currently listed as needing a good clean. I took these pics showing it's actual condition, so buy with caution.

ebay_front.jpg

ebay_rear.jpg

ebay_through.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

First time posting and just recently got interested in anamorphic old glass.

I´ve found in a local store an Isco Ultra Star (red version) and would like to experiment, could you advise on what would be a good price?

Thank you

12 hours ago, mr.ed said:

Hello everyone,

First time posting and just recently got interested in anamorphic old glass.

I´ve found in a local store an Isco Ultra Star (red version) and would like to experiment, could you advise on what would be a good price?

Thank you

50 to 150 dollars seems to be the norm.