Advice on eBay anamorphic lens listing (No advertising)

Andrew Reid

On 9/12/2016 at 11:54 AM, Justin Bacle said:

I saw several of these on ebay the last months. I was looking for something smaller & lighter though, so I didn't go with it. Curious to see what it's like optically.

Just saw a video on YT. OP wrote on the video that it is same lens like

On 9/12/2016 at 6:36 PM, Bold said:

Judging by pictures of the Galileo Anamorfico, it is a re-branded Bausch & Lomb Cinemascope Attachment I, so it will have identical optical properties..

mentioned. He also says it's really, really heavy. And the minimum focus distance is 15 feet if I am not wrong.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Tacinamo said:

He also says it's really, really heavy. And the minimum focus distance is 15 feet if I am not wrong.

It is one of the heaviest anamorphics out there (the big 35mm 2x projection lenses usually weigh around 3lb), minimum focus can be brought down to 12ft, there's more info on this lens here and here.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this on "le bon coin" (french equivalent of craigslist) : https://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/1027356839.htm?ca=18_s

It is labelled as a "Universcope 16" from "André Fougerat" made in France
From what I gathered on the web, it looks like a "Dyaliscope 16"

Does someone knows something about this adapter ? Is it worth considering, and at what price (as the seller is asking to "make an offer") ?

I can try to get it for cheap and add data to our lens-yclopedia for contribution, if this lens is untested as of today.

I'm on the lookout for my first anamorphic and just saw this pop up, anyone think it's worth the gamble? It does say there's a bit of mould.. tempted to buy it and try and clean it but i don't have any experience doing so.
Anyone here ever tried to clean one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kowa-Promiar-Anamorphic-Lens-16-S-NICE-/272399720712?hash=item3f6c49e108:g:xj0AAOSwOyJX8jVv

8 hours ago, cbh said:

I'm on the lookout for my first anamorphic and just saw this pop up, anyone think it's worth the gamble?

To be honest, no...you should be able to find a clean one for the same kind of money. Just wait a little or ask around in the 'anamorphic shooters' Group on Facebook if anyone has something to sell.

22 hours ago, Timotheus said:

To be honest, no...you should be able to find a clean one for the same kind of money. Just wait a little or ask around in the 'anamorphic shooters' Group on Facebook if anyone has something to sell.

Thanks for your input. 
After further research i've decided to keep my eye out for an Elmoscope-II or a Kowa 16-H.
Can't wait to start experimenting! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Just some background on my setup. I've got an URSA Mini 4.6k (so slightly larger than APS-C image circle).

I'd like to get my first anamorphic. Preferably something that can sharply focus as close as 2 feet (or better) after adding a Rectilux CoreDNA to it. And handle a 50mm wide (or wider) taking lens.

Is this a good / possible option? http://www.ebay.com/itm/262666642926

13 minutes ago, MoonCannon said:

Hey everyone. Just some background on my setup. I've got an URSA Mini 4.6k (so slightly larger than APS-C image circle).

I'd like to get my first anamorphic. Preferably something that can sharply focus as close as 2 feet (or better) after adding a Rectilux CoreDNA to it. And handle a 50mm wide (or wider) taking lens.

No.  need 16h or rebranded lens.

4 minutes ago, ken said:

No.  need 16h or rebranded lens.

Okay thanks. This is all a little hard to keep straight. 

To handle a 50mm on APS-C and achieve a sharp close focus with the CoreDNA what anamorphic do you recommend? I prefer warm flares to blue. And what price should I expect for your recommended lenses? Kowa 16-H is one? What others?

Sorry for so many, probably newbie, questions!

10 hours ago, MoonCannon said:

Hey man. Check out Tito's FOV calculator; it lets you know whether a lens will (probably) vignette or not: http://www.tferradans.com/blog/?p=8615

• wider than 50mm on S35 is difficult with a 2x stretch; 1.5x or 1.33x will give you more options (but obviously less oval bokeh unless you use an oval aperture).
  • the larger the anamorphot's elements, the wider you can go with your taking lens. Hence the popularity of Kowa B&H/8Z/16H/Elmoscope II (all the same build and size). The SLR Magic anamorphot 2x-50 might also get you wider than 50mm but it's expensive and flares blue like crazy.
  • to get a feel for flare colours, try to look up video examples online. The Sankor 16C you mention is nice and sharp, but has mostly blue coatings and thus blue flares. Also, you can ask a seller to take a picture of the lens under an angle with light source overhead to get an idea of the colour of the coatings.
  • the coreDNA will introduce extra vignetting; ask around in this thread for user's experience
  • listed mininum focus distance for the coreDNA is 0.7m; if you need more you can add a diopter in the mix or set both taking lens and anamorphot to minimum focus distance

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...