Adobe Premiere incorrect gamma prores

thebrothersthre3

I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology so bear with me. I've transcoded some files from my Fuji xt3 shot in H265 monochrome to Prores 422. I noticed the the transcoded files are more contrasty, the shadows are more crushed. The original files show accurately in Premiere. Anyone know if there is any fix for this? I couldn't really find anything online apart from the possibility that there is no way to correct it, whatever premiere reads is what you get. I can raise the shadows to correct it but that is a pain when it was exposed correctly from the start. 

I can always edit in HEVC but its a pain.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For anyone interested the method I ended up using was adding the Fast Color Corrector tool in Video Effects under Obsolete. I changed the Output Black Level to 16 and the Output White Level to 235. Both transcoded prores and original H265 files look the same now (no more blown highlights and crushed shadows). 

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

For anyone interested the method I ended up using was adding the Fast Color Corrector tool in Video Effects under Obsolete. I changed the Output Black Level to 16 and the Output White Level to 235. Both transcoded prores and original H265 files look the same now (no more blown highlights and crushed shadows). 

Yeah that's the old way of doing it, but the method androidlad mentioned is faster, I'd recommend that one. The presets are under Effects->Lumetri presets->Technical.

2 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

What kind of performance are you guys getting in Premiere vs Resolve when it comes to just using the H265 files themselves (i.e. no ProRes transcode)?

Its decent on my PC, better than Vegas Pro. 

16 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

Yeah that's the old way of doing it, but the method androidlad mentioned is faster, I'd recommend that one. The presets are under Effects->Lumetri presets->Technical.

Yeah that is faster, wasn't sure how to do it until you layed it out, thanks. To bad you can't apply the effect to the entire track. I'll have to see if I can transcode my files to full range. 

transcode to legal range I mean*** 

5 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah that is faster, wasn't sure how to do it until you layed it out, thanks. To bad you can't apply the effect to the entire track.

I don’t know if I’m understanding you correct but you want to add the effect to everything in say V1? If so, just add an adjustment layer in V2 and make it as long as your in to out. Then just add the effect to that adjustment layer, everything below the adjustment layer with take its effects. 

2 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

I don’t know if I’m understanding you correct but you want to add the effect to everything in say V1? If so, just add an adjustment layer in V2 and make it as long as your in to out. Then just add the effect to that adjustment layer, everything below the adjustment layer with take its effects. 

Yeah just read that is an option too. Good idea